• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When the SHTF you're going to need a way to handle "nature calls" with the utmost toward sanitation. Here's all you need to do.

[video=youtube_share;IIjBQAWPvg8]https://youtu.be/IIjBQAWPvg8[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    These are actually becoming quite the problem for music festival and concert venues because people set them up in the parking lots and camp grounds for tail gates before the concert. Very few, if anyone, actually takes the bucket with them when they leave.

I recall this being a particular problem at Jimmy Buffet shows a few years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...uffett-poop-concert-homemade-toilet-lol?amp=1

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    These are actually becoming quite the problem for music festival and concert venues because people set them up in the parking lots and camp grounds for tail gates before the concert. Very few, if anyone, actually takes the bucket with them when they leave.

I recall this being a particular problem at Jimmy Buffet shows a few years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...uffett-poop-concert-homemade-toilet-lol?amp=1

That is freaking disgusting. The arrogance of the people now, and arrogance it is, in the successful war medicine and proponents of sanitary procedures when using the bathroom and its waste disposal are alarming.

The number of men that fail to wash their hands after bathroom use is astounding and what I hear from females is that it is getting worse in the women's room as well.

A few years ago was at campground pump out, guy pulls up, gets out, sets up hose, pulls valves, all while eating a sandwich.

The he public has been spoiled and now are so poorly educated they have no idea how to be sanitary...

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    That is freaking disgusting. The arrogance of the people now, and arrogance it is, in the successful war medicine and proponents of sanitary procedures when using the bathroom and its waste disposal are alarming.

The number of men that fail to wash their hands after bathroom use is astounding and what I hear from females is that it is getting worse in the women's room as well.

A few years ago was at campground pump out, guy pulls up, gets out, sets up hose, pulls valves, all while eating a sandwich.

The he public has been spoiled and now are so poorly educated they have no idea how to be sanitary...
    I grew up on hog and cattle farms. I've had cow **** kicked, and flung directly into my mouth. Ive been **** and pissed on by every breed of domestic animal, and a couple toddlers, and I'm still alive. Just sayin. I think a little improper hygiene can do wonders for an immune system.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I grew up on hog and cattle farms. I've had cow **** kicked, and flung directly into my mouth. Ive been **** and pissed on by every breed of domestic animal, and a couple toddlers, and I'm still alive. Just sayin. I think a little improper hygiene can do wonders for an immune system.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I grew up the same. But your premise is just wrong. Human waste is a carrier of deadly disease and lackadaisical attitudes about its containment and sanitation after contact is just asking for it. Many of the deadliest as disease sagas in our history had poor sanitation of human waste as a major contributor to death and misery.

So eat your cow ***** if you wish, but wash your damn hands...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It's the idiots idea if it doesn't kill you immediately, it's not going to kill you.
    Guys that argue against ventilation & gloves when handling lead for example.

Cholera & Typhoid are the big two, but Hepatitis comes to mind instantly.
    There are entire medical textbooks are dedicated to infections & parasites humans aquire orally.

While on this subject...
    Do you know what the most contaminated surface is in a toilet?

It's your cell phone!
    Several recent studies say the cell phone is more contaminated than the AVERAGE toilet seat, hot air dryer or knobs on the sink!
    You take it right into the crapper stall with you, handle it immediately after doing your business, don't wash it when you are done...
    Constant skin oils & hand heat keeps biologicals alive longer than if they were on a cold surface, then you only switch the phone in those contaminated hands to EAT!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Golly, it's not like the good old days when the enameled chamber pot with matching decorative lid was there to keep you from having to walk the path to the outhouse in the dark.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's the idiots idea if it doesn't kill you immediately, it's not going to kill you.
    Guys that argue against ventilation & gloves when handling lead for example.

Cholera & Typhoid are the big two, but Hepatitis comes to mind instantly.
    There are entire medical textbooks are dedicated to infections & parasites humans aquire orally.

While on this subject...
    Do you know what the most contaminated surface is in a toilet?

It's your cell phone!
    Several recent studies say the cell phone is more contaminated than the AVERAGE toilet seat, hot air dryer or knobs on the sink!
    You take it right into the crapper stall with you, handle it immediately after doing your business, don't wash it when you are done...
    Constant skin oils & hand heat keeps biologicals alive longer than if they were on a cold surface, then you only switch the phone in those contaminated hands to EAT!

Great post. Have heard guys talking on the phone in the stall while doing two kinds of business at once. A disgusted LOL to that!

I carry hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes just to keep that germfest phone as clean I can.

I have eaten many a sandwich with dirty hands from adjusting a plow or disc or other farm implements, cutting or splitting wood, etc. and am in no way a clean fetishist. I even believe that such activities likely increase immune system functions and the lack thereof may be a cause of the allergy epidemic we see today. But human disease is another thing. That hepatitis etc. is literally scary s**t...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    i know people who walk around with a hand sanitizer on them all the time, they are the sickest people I know. In the trades on many jobsites there are people who do unspeakable things to porta pottys where there there are no other alternatives for anyone to use. I have never heard of anyone getting sick from those situations and I think that bucket is a lot safer than many porta pottys. Some of you guys must just be looking for the next thing to flip out about

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    People with septic tanks will learn the hard way that hand sanitizer and all that germ killing soap isn't a good idea when they kill the septic tank.
    I've heard that soap & water removes/kills 99.98% of germs, while hand sanitizer kills 99.99%, but soap & water doesn't kill the septic.
    There is nothing quite as disgusting as cleaning out human waste from a septic tank so we pay attention to what goes down the drain since we are on septic.

Something we were taught in the military was kerosene in the barrel, human waste is heavier than kerosene and sinks.
    Burning said waste was a job no one wanted, but I guess it was effective since it's been done that way for decades.

There was a YouTube video of a guy that tried to spend 90 days in a bunker to test his end of the world preps, the waste buckets blowing their seals and venting in his room (along with going stir crazy) drive him out.
    Just because you dropped it doesn't mean the bacteria stops working, and the gasses it built up would blow the seals out in plastic 5 gallon buckets.
    A compost toilet with vent would have stopped all that...

I remember a few years back when the driver for Dave Mathews band bus dumped the septic holding tank on a metal grate bridge in Chicago, right on a tour boat passing under the bridge in a canal.
    People were hospitalized, and had to be checked for months for disease...
    Cost the band hundreds of thousands of dollars and made national news (or I wouldn't know about it).

There are two grave yards locally that have entire families wiped out buried in them, and when you look into it, it was typhoid.
    How many of you have current typhoid vaccines, which as the military tells you when you get shipped off to third world countries, is only PARTIALLY effective since typhoid is ever evolving...? So how current are your vaccine cards?

Salmonella has been all over the news, greens recalls, because untreated human/animal waste was used as fertilizers on growing fields.
    Same with E-coli.
    If you think it can't happen since the US isn't a 3rd world, guess again...

There is a reason I stress 'Clean Food' when I write about gardening & canning, it's not just preservatives, colors, pesticides & herbicides, etc.
    No meat eating animal waste in the compost bins ever, always a two year compost cycle... Old time farmers/gardeners knew this stuff...

There is a reason religions and other groups had food restrictions, pork, shell fish, etc. Before modern anti-biotics & anti-parasite medications, before brooding houses, livestock ran free and picked up the parasites/pathogens and transferred them directly to humans.
    *IF* you think you are going to be some kind of survivalist, then it might be a real good idea if you learned about liver & lung fluke, parasite worms, and all the other nasties out there... They are still there and still waiting, but several generations down the road, YOU don't have knowledge of them or resistance against them anymore...

While one guy writes about chamber pots in a glib manner, consider the person that was assigned the job of dumping & cleaning chamber pots was considered an 'Untouchable', very few would even talk to the 'Untouchable' because of possibility of catching a disease.
    Same for 'Swamping Out' public places, like cleaning spittoons for fear of catching 'consumption' (TB).

Be glib about it all you want, I believe I'll allow for proper sanitation and water supply, make sure I have soap...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I remember a few years back when the driver for Dave Mathews band bus dumped the septic holding tank on a metal grate bridge in Chicago, right on a tour boat passing under the bridge in a canal.
    Cost the band hundreds of thousands of dollars and made national news (or I wouldn't know about it).

I remember when that happened as I lived in Chicago at the time. I seem to remember that only a few people went to the hospital out of over a hundred that boat that were hit and that they were released hours later. I remember that the band did pay a couple hundred thousand in fines to the city or epa and I am sure that the passengers received some cash from the band. If anyone was being checked for disease months later they were probably the ones who go around sanitizing their hands all day long or were hoping for a bigger payout from the band. I remember it as being reported as much more of a humorous story and PR disaster for the band than any kind of a health crisis. If you have information that there was more of a health crisis that i implied please post it up to refresh my memory.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Actually nearly 100 were monitored for over 6 months for Hepatitis and other communicable diseases, two contracted some disease I never heard of but don't want.

Eat out of the toilet if you want to, makes no difference to me. It's just Darwinism in action...

I'll continue washing my hands, flushing the sewage down the drain, and wondering why people in this country still contract preventable communicable diseases. The Darwin awards entertains me and eating out of the toilet would certainly qualify someone for consideration!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My SHTF plan is to remain in my home unless it just isn't possible. I'm hooked to sanitary sewers now, and my plan is to continue to use my toilets as long as they keep working. Given topography, I think that I could pull off a couple of manhole covers down the lower end of the street to relieve pressure, and I might be able to keep using the sewers, flushing the toilets with rain water, hand-pumped well water, or pond water.

If that doesn't work, or if my down-street neighbors interfere with that, I could also knock a hole in my block foundation, and re-route the pipes out the back of my house and just dig a big hole for it to go into.

If both of those fail, I'm sure I could scavenge the lumber and build a proper outhouse.

Edit: Every time it rains more than a little, many millions of gallons of partially treated or untreated sewage is discharged into Indiana's rivers and streams. It's a lot less now than it was 30 years ago, but it's a problem far from solved.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Actually nearly 100 were monitored for over 6 months for Hepatitis and other communicable diseases, two contracted some disease I never heard of but don't want.

Eat out of the toilet if you want to, makes no difference to me. It's just Darwinism in action...

I'll continue washing my hands, flushing the sewage down the drain, and wondering why people in this country still contract preventable communicable diseases. The Darwin awards entertains me and eating out of the toilet would certainly qualify someone for consideration![/QUOTE

Can you please post a link to support this information about 2 people catching a disease? They may well have monitored the rest of the people on the boat for a year or more for insurance purposes or to just cover their a** but to me that doesn't really mean anything other than PR.

I have no idea what you are talking about with this eating out of a toilet tangent. I haven't seen anyone bring it up in this thread until now. I don't think anyone in this thread stated that one should stop washing their hands.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Spelled out,
    Use toilet, don't wash hands, eating from the toilet.
    Same with shoveling manure or changing diapers.

Chicago Tribune, search Dave Mathews sued by two.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    People with septic tanks will learn the hard way that hand sanitizer and all that germ killing soap isn't a good idea when they kill the septic tank.
    I've heard that soap & water removes/kills 99.98% of germs, while hand sanitizer kills 99.99%, but soap & water doesn't kill the septic.
    There is nothing quite as disgusting as cleaning out human waste from a septic tank so we pay attention to what goes down the drain since we are on septic.

Something we were taught in the military was kerosene in the barrel, human waste is heavier than kerosene and sinks.
    Burning said waste was a job no one wanted, but I guess it was effective since it's been done that way for decades.

There was a YouTube video of a guy that tried to spend 90 days in a bunker to test his end of the world preps, the waste buckets blowing their seals and venting in his room (along with going stir crazy) drive him out.
    Just because you dropped it doesn't mean the bacteria stops working, and the gasses it built up would blow the seals out in plastic 5 gallon buckets.
    A compost toilet with vent would have stopped all that...

There are two grave yards locally that have entire families wiped out buried in them, and when you look into it, it was typhoid.
    How many of you have current typhoid vaccines, which as the military tells you when you get shipped off to third world countries, is only PARTIALLY effective since typhoid is ever evolving...? So how current are your vaccine cards?

Salmonella has been all over the news, greens recalls, because untreated human/animal waste was used as fertilizers on growing fields.
    Same with E-coli.
    If you think it can't happen since the US isn't a 3rd world, guess again...

There is a reason I stress 'Clean Food' when I write about gardening & canning, it's not just preservatives, colors, pesticides & herbicides, etc.
    No meat eating animal waste in the compost bins ever, always a two year compost cycle... Old time farmers/gardeners knew this stuff...

There is a reason religions and other groups had food restrictions, pork, shell fish, etc. Before modern anti-biotics & anti-parasite medications, before brooding houses, livestock ran free and picked up the parasites/pathogens and transferred them directly to humans.
    *IF* you think you are going to be some kind of survivalist, then it might be a real good idea if you learned about liver & lung fluke, parasite worms, and all the other nasties out there... They are still there and still waiting, but several generations down the road, YOU don't have knowledge of them or resistance against them anymore...

While one guy writes about chamber pots in a glib manner, consider the person that was assigned the job of dumping & cleaning chamber pots was considered an 'Untouchable', very few would even talk to the 'Untouchable' because of possibility of catching a disease.
    Same for 'Swamping Out' public places, like cleaning spittoons for fear of catching 'consumption' (TB).

Be glib about it all you want, I believe I'll allow for proper sanitation and water supply, make sure I have soap...

Soap **kills** nothing. Indeed even so called anti-bacterial soaps have been proven useless at killing. But they remove bad things and that is sufficient. We can be glib and loose with hygiene now with a modern and effective medical system at out backs but you better believe that in a sustained SHTF situation you will risk becoming part of the tragedy very quickly if you don't get your A game out. Baron von Steuben is known for how he came and trained the continental Army into a professional core. What is not well known but of equal (or more) importance was that he taught and imposed proper camp sanitation procedures that drastically reduced disease at Valley Forge.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It's anti-science.

Civilization built sanitary sewers and moved in clean water before medicine, before electricity, and civilization as we know it can't exist without sanitation.

There is no place fecal material can enter the human body it doesn't cause infection, from eyes, nose, mouth to skin to bloodstream.
    Pink eye to gangreen to sepsis.

To believe you are going to 'strengthen' your immune system is false.
    You are going to be stupid, then run to the doctor and pray someone can save life & limb with anti-biotics,
    You are NOT going to let these infections run their natural course, which way too often results in a slow, painful death.
    No one eats the gut content when they eat meat for a reason...

The idea of separating food & water supply from fecal material is as basic a concept as humans have, and yet there are people right here, right now advocating for consuming fecal material.
    Consider that a Darwin moment and consider more than half the people alive today wouldn't be here in a 'Natural' environment without anti-biotics, and even less without sanitation.

It's pretty easy to put a stop to science deniers, simply cut off the clean water, sewage, medicines & machines that make their lives possible.

Top Bottom