• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Here’s my issue. Want to keep a bag with a few days supplies and some ammo and a pistol or a broke down rifle. Not a bag I will be getting into on a regular basis, and leaving a couple rifles in the trunk after a trip to plink some targets for a day or two got a quick layer of surface rust. Suggestions for a whole backpack? Vacuum seal? Just multiple layers? Just trying to gather ideas before I ruin a whole backpack full of supplies and possibly rust out a pistol. Thanks folks

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a GHB in my vehicle all the time. I only move it when I travel in a different vehicle. Has food, water, meds, gun, ammo and other stuff (too much most likely)

No problems with it. Have had the water freeze, but keep it low in winter to avoid blowouts.

Will look again, but no real rust issues and been like that for years.

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    My vehicle isn’t the most water tight in the trunk I’m guessing I have some rubber seals going bad... I have friends and people from work riding with me almost daily too so backseat/passenger area is a no-go. Plus if you can’t see it it’s less likely to draw attention right? As far as the water bottles go, I have a sawyer mini and like 6 bottles of water I have almost opened but squeezed enough to get the air out and leave some room for expanding and contracting. And the water bottles are split 3 per gallon ziploc bag just in case it decides to break I have one more layer of protection. Side note: everything is either factory sealed or inside or a small airtight storage container or ziploc bag depending on what it is so that if something were to go bad (ie: trail mix rots at least it’s not in contact with any other supplies and I’ll likely find it and switch/remove the contaminated stuff). Just rambling at this point but if anyone uses a vacuum sealer bag or something similar and has had success I’d like to hear about it. I have a sealer and bags and could easily throw a silica packet or two in proximity of the firearm and seal it shut. Same with ammo. But northern Indiana is very fickle as you all know and it’s hot and cold and raining and snowing all in the same day sometimes. Also worried temperature change would make the sealed stuff sweat.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a truck. I keep my bag on the floor in the middle of the back seat. Most people that I would travel with know about the contents of the bag. Anyone that I would happen to be with that I don't want to tell I just say it is boo boo aids or a change of undies.

This way I can grab and go a little faster than having it in the trunk or tool box.

Took it with me this morning on a trip to Indy in the wife's truck. I checked the gun and still no rust. I also had to grab an antacid which was tucked in there just where I needed it.

I have a small bottle of water, but nothing major. That stuff is heavy. If I am planning a long trip where I might be lost for days on end I will grab a different bag. This one is for getting me out of a tight spot while just doing my regular drives.

If you are using this BOB to keep you close to your vehicle maybe look into a rugged tote. Will keep a little more of the moisture out. Won't draw attention like a big camo or military backpack and it will maybe protect from stuff being tossed in the trunk.

Oh and get the trunk to seal, even if you don't plan to keep your stuff back there. That water does nasty things when locked in there over time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Please dont store guns in your car. Too easy to break into and steal. Mags and ammo? Sure. But please not the gun. Too many guns are stolen relatively effortlessly by thugs looking to make a quick buck on a smash and grab and hit the jackpot fairly frequently.

Maybe if you have some elaborate under the back seat hidden compartment a meth head looking for change in the cupholder isnt going to find, but if you drive a popular car or truck with the chop shop crowd, Even that wont stay hidden.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Actually, we had this conversation already...
    Thieves target vehicles with firearms related stickers to aquire firearms, it's a fact.

--------------

As for the purpose of the thread,
    Heating & cooling will condensate moisture on firearms, metal being dense and cold makes them condense moisture.
    Keep n mind that fuel in a mostly sealed tank will condense moisture, your firearms in a porous bag will do the same thing.
    Putting them in a plastic bag with hold the moisture in against the firearm.

Machine shops use desiccant lined boxes & bags to soak up the moisture and remove oxygen (rust being an oxidizing process), and that will stop most of the rust issues.
    The bags are a woven mesh that allows moisture to escape instead of being trapped.

You might also try a product called 'Barricade' as a rust killer, it's slimy to the touch, but it stops rust quite well.
    Keep a rag handy...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It’s also a fact my cars have been broken into 3x in the last 15 years. Yet I don’t put gun, NRA, etc stickers on it. That wouldn’t have kept me from losing a firearm if I kept one in it.

Sometimes they hit hit a jackpot even when they are just looking for random things of value.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    It’s also a fact my cars have been broken into 3x in the last 15 years. Yet I don’t put gun, NRA, etc stickers on it. That wouldn’t have kept me from losing a firearm if I kept one in it.

Sometimes they hit hit a jackpot even when they are just looking for random things of value.

Wow, that shoots the odds against your favor for sure.

Were these all in the same relative place? I have had my jobsites hit twice, but never a vehicle (or me personally).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow, that shoots the odds against your favor for sure.

Were these all in the same relative place? I have had my jobsites hit twice, but never a vehicle (or me personally).

Kinda. One was not at home. Otherwise just a neighborhood with punk ass kids and the random meth head looking for anything they can sell for a quick buck in a vessel of glass. Otherwise a decent neighborhood. (burglary, smash and grabs, and stealing cars warming up nothwithstanding(

And now that I think of it, 4x. Once I forgot to lock my doors and the cupholder change (all I had of value) was taken.

And

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    People that warm up their cars deserve to get them swiped. Just a side opinion.

The only time I had a problem at my house was when I stupidly left a barrel of scrap aluminum beside the garage. Had some pieces stuck up and was a beacon for scrappers. I deserved that one. Found the barrel at the scrap yard and got it back.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I've left a bag in my car for the last several years almost 100% of the time. Sometimes with a pistol or rifle and sometimes without. Take it out sometimes for car service, extra passengers etc. It's an SUV, so I don't have the excessive moisture issue, but I do keep one of those reusable silica gel moisture removers in the bag. Regarding water, I keep bottled water in a collapsable cooler. Keeps it not so hot and drinkable in the summer and doesn't freeze and burst in the winter. I keep about 2 -3 days of food / water in there with other basic supplies. I try and refresh the moisture remover about every 3-4 months but realistically every year.

Top Bottom