• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    I'm a backpacker and troop master and don't like buying stuff online if I can help it. Would rather buy in the store.

Soo, what Indiana stores have you seen that carry a significant selection of freeze-dried foods?

Thanks!
    IH

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I typically swing by REI before a camping trip.
    They have a decent selection of my fave brand, mountain house.

I'd say their Mac and cheese is better than the stuff at the grocery store.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This is by no means a store that carries a significant amount of freeze-dried food, but Dollar Tree has decent sized packages of freeze-dried fruit for a dollar each. They come in apple, peach, strawberry, and assorted (banana, strawberry, and blackberry). The apple and peach have the largest quantity of fruit pieces per package. The strawberries are denser so there are fewer pieces in a package. I pick them up a few dozen at a time.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    This is by no means a store that carries a significant amount of freeze-dried food, but Dollar Tree has decent sized packages of freeze-dried fruit for a dollar each. They come in apple, peach, strawberry, and assorted (banana, strawberry, and blackberry). The apple and peach have the largest quantity of fruit pieces per package. The strawberries are denser so there are fewer pieces in a package. I pick them up a few dozen at a time.

Yep, I buy them there also myself.
    And the last few months Aldi's has been carrying larger bags of freeez-dried fruit for $3.00 a bag. Fugi apples, Mangos, strawberry's and pears. I buy them and ship them to my son for when hes in the field. Plus they have a few different bags of nuts and trail mixes in different side packaging.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Walmart has a small selection of MountainHouse freeze dried meals meant for backpacking.

Each trip we make to Walmart, I try to pick up one or two of them. I have an inventory list on my phone so I know what I have.

The only thing about the meals at Walmart is that most of them contain 2 or 2.5 servings.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I'm a backpacker and troop master and don't like buying stuff online if I can help it. Would rather buy in the store.

Soo, what Indiana stores have you seen that carry a significant selection of freeze-dried foods?

Thanks!
    IH
    We were recently approved as a Mountain House authorized dealer. In the near future we will begin stocking a better selection of Mountain House products including pouches, #10 cans, buckets and kits (I just have to make some room for them in the store). If you are looking for any specific Mountain House products, please let me know!

Mountain House products carry a 30 YEAR taste guarantee!

ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    Check out the the new Sportsmans Warehouse in Fort Wayne, its on Illinois road where the old Staples used to be, by the Lowes. They have a pretty good Mountain House selection and there is no sales tax so it makes it pretty close to Amazon pricing. I just grabbed 20 bags and it came out to be about a 3% difference form buying them online.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom