Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Salad Suggestions

Here I am, whipping together a salad. I have a promising early garden, full of various greens as such.

I'm not there yet, but history tells me it comes quickly. Before long, overwhelmed with fresh produce, I'll be sick of raw salads. A lot of food that doesn't cook or preserve well will be wasted.

Looking for salad ideas to keep me interested in eating greens and such please. TIA
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Here I am, whipping together a salad. I have a promising early garden, full of various greens as such.

I'm not there yet, but history tells me it comes quickly. Before long, overwhelmed with fresh produce, I'll be sick of raw salads. A lot of food that doesn't cook or preserve well will be wasted.

Looking for salad ideas to keep me interested in eating greens and such please. TIA
    Salad isnít food, itís what food eats. So with that in mind, buy a cow or pig, fatten it up with your excess ďsaladĒ, then, Kill it and eat it.

K_W

User Info Menu

First start with a bed of .50 BMG, toss with generous amounts 5.56 and a touch of .30RS for spice, dress with .22LR and top with .45 or 9MM

There... that's how you make a salad.

User Info Menu

All I know about salads, I learned from Homer & Bart Simpson: You Can't Win Friends with Salad.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I could go carnivore, but it's easier to grow food than raise it.
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Bacon, ham, grilled chicken with 5 kinds of cheese and blue cheese dressing.

User Info Menu

"Wilted lettuce" is my go to. Grandma made it in late spring/early summer. Mid summer heat would kill the lettuce as its a cool weather crop. its basically a "hot bacon" dressing you might have had in a restaurant, though not as awesome.

I plant Black Seed Simpson, but any bitter lettuce will do. The bitterness counters the sweetness of the dressing.

In a VERY large bowl (I use a giant (18"?) stainless steel salad/mixing bowl) add cut up lettuce and several green onions. Put in twice as much lettuce as you think you would eat. Trust me*.
    Chop up about a half pound of bacon into bite size pieces. Fry it.
    When done, remove from heat and set aside. (leave the grease)
    Add equal parts cider vinegar and sugar to the skillet. Add a generous amount of black pepper and a pinch of salt to taste. Mix to dissolve. (add a little water if it is still too strong. It should be sweet and tangy like sweet pickles)
    return the skillet with the mixture to the stove on high heat and bring to a boil.
    Once at a full boil, immediately pour the boiling mixture over the lettuce and toss well. In about 5 minutes the lettuce will "wilt" to about half the original volume*.
    Serve immediately.

And the best part is sitting around the table after dinner chatting and picking whats left of the bacon bits out of the serving bowl. You'll find yourself eating until you are uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Bacon! And beef! Salad fixed.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

I have a sneaky suspicion that the average life of us INGOers is 60 due to the bacon.
    I thought Mosin Nagants came from the earth and there was a limitless supply of this raw fuel?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast