• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here I am, whipping together a salad. I have a promising early garden, full of various greens as such.

I'm not there yet, but history tells me it comes quickly. Before long, overwhelmed with fresh produce, I'll be sick of raw salads. A lot of food that doesn't cook or preserve well will be wasted.

Looking for salad ideas to keep me interested in eating greens and such please. TIA :ingo:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here I am, whipping together a salad. I have a promising early garden, full of various greens as such.

I'm not there yet, but history tells me it comes quickly. Before long, overwhelmed with fresh produce, I'll be sick of raw salads. A lot of food that doesn't cook or preserve well will be wasted.

Looking for salad ideas to keep me interested in eating greens and such please. TIA :ingo:
    Salad isn’t food, it’s what food eats. So with that in mind, buy a cow or pig, fatten it up with your excess “salad”, then, Kill it and eat it.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    First start with a bed of .50 BMG, toss with generous amounts 5.56 and a touch of .30RS for spice, dress with .22LR and top with .45 or 9MM

There... that's how you make a salad.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bacon, ham, grilled chicken with 5 kinds of cheese and blue cheese dressing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "Wilted lettuce" is my go to. Grandma made it in late spring/early summer. Mid summer heat would kill the lettuce as its a cool weather crop. its basically a "hot bacon" dressing you might have had in a restaurant, though not as awesome.

I plant Black Seed Simpson, but any bitter lettuce will do. The bitterness counters the sweetness of the dressing.

In a VERY large bowl (I use a giant (18"?) stainless steel salad/mixing bowl) add cut up lettuce and several green onions. Put in twice as much lettuce as you think you would eat. Trust me*.
    Chop up about a half pound of bacon into bite size pieces. Fry it.
    When done, remove from heat and set aside. (leave the grease)
    Add equal parts cider vinegar and sugar to the skillet. Add a generous amount of black pepper and a pinch of salt to taste. Mix to dissolve. (add a little water if it is still too strong. It should be sweet and tangy like sweet pickles)
    return the skillet with the mixture to the stove on high heat and bring to a boil.
    Once at a full boil, immediately pour the boiling mixture over the lettuce and toss well. In about 5 minutes the lettuce will "wilt" to about half the original volume*.
    Serve immediately.

And the best part is sitting around the table after dinner chatting and picking whats left of the bacon bits out of the serving bowl. :drool: You'll find yourself eating until you are uncomfortable.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If you aren't boxed in to an idea,
    Dandelions are up.

I like meat, sugar & salt as much as any hillbilly, but I lost 100 pounds the first season we mostly lived out of the garden and things we home canned.
    I didn't go hungry by any stretch of the imagination, and never dieted, I have no idea where the weight went, it just disappeared.
    So much I had to get new laundry, the pants just wouldn't stay up anymore.

My energy goes way down if I don't have a salad every couple days, I just feel sluggish & tired.
    Keep in mind my salads have a LITTLE bit of ham, chicken, cheese, etc. I can't go cold turkey (Oh! Wait! I can have cold turkey!) ;)

There was a flyer type 'Cook Book' a few years back and it was all about edibles in Indiana, including mushrooms and about every edible plant in Indiana, including polk salad, it was called something like 'Wild Indiana', it was a good reference if you can find it (my copy has been missing for 5 years or more).
    Some place in Corydon IN. published it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Add "weeds" to your salad:
    purslane
    young dandelion greens
    violet flowers and leaves
    chickweed
    wood sorrel (careful - spicy)
    poke salet (careful - older leaves and stems are poisonous)

There are large numbers of plants we try to kill in our lawns and gardens that are edible, and some are pretty good, with lots of vitamins.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Add "weeds" to your salad:
    purslane
    young dandelion greens
    violet flowers and leaves
    chickweed
    wood sorrel (careful - spicy)
    poke salet (careful - older leaves and stems are poisonous)

There are large numbers of plants we try to kill in our lawns and gardens that are edible, and some are pretty good, with lots of vitamins.
    Lambs quarter, too, right?

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    1905 Salad, see Columbia Restaurant
    Caesar salad
    Paula Deen salad -- lettuce, tomato, basil, blue cheese
    7-layer salad
    Spinach salad -- hot bacon dressing, mushrooms, maybe artichokes
    Nicoise salad
    3 bean salad
    Shrimp salad - shrimp on bed of romaine, eggs, celery, onion, cover with dresssing -- mayo, chili sauce, lemon juice
    Greek salad

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a sneaky suspicion that the average life of us INGOers is 60 due to the bacon.

I think in the modern day, with the keto, paleo and carnivore trends that bacon and other high fat meats are no longer the devil that we were raised to believe they were. A LOT of folks are consuming copious amounts of these "bad" high fat foods and shedding pounds along with seeming to be noticeably healthier overall. :dunno:

Top Bottom