Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

On my person everyday I have a handgun with a spare mag, knife, Gerber multi, flashlight, Gerber tactical pen, Rite in the Rain notepad, lighter, and a water proof pill bottle with mostly Zantac and a mixture of other OTC meds. If I'm wearing one of my 5.11 jackets (similar to the Columbia/North Face that everyone wears) throughout the pockets I have a emergency poncho, Mylar blanket, fero rod, 3 wet fire cubes, small roll of duct tape, about 12' of para cord, and a compass. If I'm wearing my boots, I have a Ferro Knife in the left one and a Punch Dagger in the right one.
    ANY attack against the Constitution is an act of terrorism and should be dealt with accordingly.

User Info Menu

Here's Churchmous's EDC***,

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    I'm a field Marine, and field Marines know something civilians don't.
    When your feet go, you are dead weight, and it's 100% preventable.

People see vacuum packed socks in my gear & make fun of it.
    Vacuum freezer bags keep them dry and make them small.

Besides keeping your feet from turning to hamburger,
    Socks are mittens & ear wraps, they are gear bags, they are water filters, they are padding, they are bandages...
    Washcloths! If you don't wash you will bleed.
    Light weight, no sharp edges, no rattle.

Unless you have 'Hiked' 20-30 miles a day in boots & gear, for a week or two at a time, without showers, you won't get this.
    Long-distance, multi-night backpacking trips will also teach you those things.

One thing I've learned is that it's not enough to have dry socks if they're not good socks. I grew up wearing white cotton athletic socks, but if you try to hike a long distance in those, especially in weather, you'll have problems. On any long walk or hike I'm wearing good wool socks. In fact, the only time I wear cotton socks is around the house. Really good wool socks can cost upwards of $20 a pair, but really good ones, like "Darn Tough" wool socks come with a lifetime warranty. I'm in the process of transitioning completely away from cotton socks to all wool socks.

The way I figure, if I ever get stuck after SHTF and I have to hump 50 miles to get home, I'd trade a kit for some good socks.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    I'm a field Marine, and field Marines know something civilians don't.
    When your feet go, you are dead weight, and it's 100% preventable.

People see vacuum packed socks in my gear & make fun of it.
    Vacuum freezer bags keep them dry and make them small.

Besides keeping your feet from turning to hamburger,
    Socks are mittens & ear wraps, they are gear bags, they are water filters, they are padding, they are bandages...
    Washcloths! If you don't wash you will bleed.
    Light weight, no sharp edges, no rattle.

Unless you have 'Hiked' 20-30 miles a day in boots & gear, for a week or two at a time, without showers, you won't get this.
    Your feet & groin will be hamburger.
    Soap in one sock, a second sock for rinse/dry, its a one cup of water operation if water is that tight...
    You can do it with simply boots off and pants down, you don't have to disrobe, we've done it may times with LBE/web gear still on.
    You are still geared up & combat effective...
    (That's how gun monkeys live... Emphasis on LIVE, If you weren't there, you'll never understand...)
    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

jpr
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoxaJunk View Post

One thing I've learned is that it's not enough to have dry socks if they're not good socks. I grew up wearing white cotton athletic socks, but if you try to hike a long distance in those, especially in weather, you'll have problems. On any long walk or hike I'm wearing good wool socks. In fact, the only time I wear cotton socks is around the house. Really good wool socks can cost upwards of $20 a pair, but really good ones, like "Darn Tough" wool socks come with a lifetime warranty. I'm in the process of transitioning completely away from cotton socks to all wool socks.

The way I figure, if I ever get stuck after SHTF and I have to hump 50 miles to get home, I'd trade a kit for some good socks.
    I have gotten to the point that I only wear wool socks. And like you said "Darn Tough" socks are hard to beat.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoxaJunk View Post

I haven't had cotton socks since being an infantryman. I like "smart wool" since they also act as compression socks and just can't bunch up in your boots. I'll take a look at "darn tough" socks. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2