• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ran into a situation that I needed small engine gas and wanted to avoid a trip to go get it. I had three vehicles full of gas, and could only get gas siphoned from one. The motorcycle, with the smallest tank, was the only one I could get gas out of.

I tried a pretty old one of these:

81T09POawNL._SL1500_.jpg

It refused to work. Dry seals? :dunno: Didn't matter a lot, as the tube wouldn't thread through the filler tube bends or whatever obstructions.

This one worked in the motorcycle tank, but wouldn't find its way through the filler tubes on the four wheel vehicles to get into the gas tanks:

51-W1Uu-I9L._SL1001_.jpg

It'd be nice to have a reliable pump or siphon to get at fuel stored in modern vehicles. Fueling the generator comes to mind, on top of being in a similar situation to the one mentioned.

A way to drain a gas tank for fuel pump or tank issues would also be handy.

What do you all use for this purpose?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Step 1:

SMW_163504__06760.1504812805.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

Step 2:

giphy.gif

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Easiest way on modern vehicles is to detach quick connect line at fuel rail and jumper the fuel pump relay. Let the vehicles fuel pump do the work for you

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ran into a situation that I needed small engine gas and wanted to avoid a trip to go get it. I had three vehicles full of gas, and could only get gas siphoned from one. The motorcycle, with the smallest tank, was the only one I could get gas out of.

I tried a pretty old one of these:

View attachment 76944

It refused to work. Dry seals? :dunno: Didn't matter a lot, as the tube wouldn't thread through the filler tube bends or whatever obstructions.

This one worked in the motorcycle tank, but wouldn't find its way through the filler tubes on the four wheel vehicles to get into the gas tanks:

View attachment 76945

It'd be nice to have a reliable pump or siphon to get at fuel stored in modern vehicles. Fueling the generator comes to mind, on top of being in a similar situation to the one mentioned.

A way to drain a gas tank for fuel pump or tank issues would also be handy.

What do you all use for this purpose?

Well, looks like those filler necks are working as designed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've tried a pump that looks like that red one before. Didn't work worth squat for anything. It was cheap. Got what I paid for.

From the gastapper web site blog: "Most newer model cars and SUV’s have emergency valves that stop gas from draining out in the event of a roll-over. This valve also acts as a siphon prevention system which is the reason why nearly all the siphon devices and pumps sold these days are useless." - that said, there are ways around it. - https://www.gastapper.com/blog/how-to-siphon-gas-out-of-newer-cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=2mGeb9s6yFE [Gastapper in action.]

I've heard of the method in post #3, but haven't tried it. In addition to jumping the relay, you may be able to just turn the key to the run position. This will start the fuel pump, and it should run until it pressurizes the fuel rail. Since the test port is open, the rail will never come up to operating pressure, and it’ll spray fuel out the test port. On some cars, there’s a timer on this, and if your fuel pump can’t pressurize the fuel rail in a certain number of seconds, it shuts down. In this case, you’d have to turn the key off/on again. That's the theory anyway.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never thought about removing gas from a vehicle, but now I'm embarrassed that I have not. Nearly every post-apocalyptic scenario (zombie involved or otherwise) requires taking fuel from abandoned vehicles. I suppose I am vehicle-centric. I don't have generator and if I don't have gas for a tool, it's an excuse to not do the work that day. Heh.

Like almost everything else, this is something for which we all need to consider, ponder, and plan before the need arises.

On a related note, like many among us, I dislike wrestling with modern gas cans when trying to actually use them to dispense fuel. I considered getting some aftermarket spout/vent kits, but instead I went with a cheap pump powered by two AA batteries that also has an alarm/shutoff when the receiving tank is full. It works really well, is easy to use, and cost less than a few spout/vent kits.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a couple of Holley 12V fuel pumps that are set up to remove or transfer fuel from rig to rig. 12V battery on a 2 wheel cart with the pumps mounted on it.
    This system works very well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We have a couple of Holley 12V fuel pumps that are set up to remove or transfer fuel from rig to rig. 12V battery on a 2 wheel cart with the pumps mounted on it.
    This system works very well.

What kind of plumbing have you done to allow the pump to access the fuel in the first tank?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Run towards the fire.
    Unless it's in Lonehoosier's garage.
    Then, run away from the fire.
    This comment always amaze me. Most garages have two cars that can hold anywhere to 30 to 60 gallons of gas at one time but then balk at a person that stores gas in there garage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What kind of plumbing have you done to allow the pump to access the fuel in the first tank?

We can configure it for 1 or both pumps. 10' of 1/2" hose. Snakes into the tank easily enough.
    We built this to fuel the drag cars so we did not have to pour from the 5 gallon plastic containers. We could also drain the cars easily enough.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My 2017 truck has a little device in the glove box that the dealer said I need to use if I try to siphon gas or add with a can. It looks like a funnel of sorts. He said that they put things in the neck of the tank to keep people from stealing gas easily. All you need is that device I guess.

Also seemed odd that I do not have a gas cap. Old truck would give me check engine light if I ran it while filling up.

Top Bottom