• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have about 3 acres of chopped grass, more like hay than clippings. Busy spring and things got too tall out back. So I used a notary cutter to chop it and line it up in rows, is there any issues with raking it and using it for mulch around the p!ants in the garden?

Thanks

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    If weed free should work fine but remember if not lay to dry will become hot. Oh yeah when I ran cattle I got into high tensile fencing worked good easy to take care of.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    should be fine then in my opinion. I put my grass clippings on the garden to mulch around the plants..

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    No pesticides, no weed killer, we.try to avoid using chemicals. Last year i broadcasted quite.a bit of pasture mix.

I'm the same way, and I don't care much for wood pulp mulch since it carried in termites.
    We use as few chemicals as humanly possible since we grow a bunch of our own food and will continue to do so as long as we are able.
    I really don't want persistent chemicals in the soil/food.

Composting 'Stalk' grasses takes a LONG time, lots of tough fibers and they take up to 3 years in a good, working compost pile.

I've dried it as 'Hay' and used it for ground cover, if it seeded out before you cut it it's going to be problems, particularly around flower beds or garden beds... Kind of importing extra weeds if it seeded out.

Top Bottom