• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It is Saturday morning at 5AM and the event is major. You woke up early because of the dogs barking.
    Doesn't matter what the event is, but come Monday, no one is going to work and by then the stores will not have much to purchase because of panic buying.

• The power will fail in 24 to 36 hours.
    • You have two extra family members with their own cars for the weekend and they have to stay with you for the duration.
    • You own a car and a pickup truck.
    • Your house has a septic system and 220 volt well.
    • No aid to you area for months and things won't be normal for at least 6 months.
    • Today is October 5th to help you put yourself in the right mind set.
    • You live on 7 acres with few neighbors, 7 miles from a town of 1,600 with an older style Walmart and smaller grocery stores.
    • Your house and property is not in danger from the event.
    • You have some chickens, dogs and cats.
    • The stores are taking credit cards, checks and cash.
    • You have a wood stove, chain saw, ax and an assortment of tools normally encountered with someone who owns land with equipment.
    • You won't be able to travel to escape the disaster.

Everyone does a quick inventory and you have enough food and supplies for 3 weeks for all 5 adults.

The guns you own are a 22 rifle and pistol with 500 rounds, a 12 gauge shotgun with 300 shells and a 9 mm pistol with 300 rounds.

What you going to do?

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Start by filling all available containers with potable water.

Dig a pit latrine.
    Cook and eat what will spoil as fast as is convenient. Start smoking, canning or drying meat as you can get it thawed.

Take really good care of the chickens.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd sned everyone out to max out the credit cards and buy as much fuel as I could including containers, then batteries, containers for water (and fill them immediately upon getting home), an inverter to use with one of the vehicles, boots and socks, bleach, soap, first-aid consumables, rubbing alcohol (multiple uses), aluminum foil, paper products, nitrile gloves, N95 masks, refill prescriptions, duct tape, wire, rolls of visqueen and/or tyvek, feed for the animals, canned and other nutritionally dense food that doesn't need refrigeration (e.g. peanut butter).

Wait. I'd also go online and download some list of things you'd need for an emergency because I'd be panicking and would forget things, then divide the list among the people to get as much of the stuff as they could.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It is Saturday morning at 5AM and the event is major. You woke up early because of the dogs barking.
    Doesn't matter what the event is, but come Monday, no one is going to work and by then the stores will not have much to purchase because of panic buying.

• The power will fail in 24 to 36 hours. Purchase generator and fuel, hopefully enough for 7 months
    • You have two extra family members with their own cars for the weekend and they have to stay with you for the duration. One will stay and guard the place while the other drives empty vehicles out and full vehicles back in.
    • You own a car and a pickup truck. Put to use hauling supplies. Need storage system for gas.
    • Your house has a septic system and 220 volt well. See power above.
    • No aid to you area for months and things won't be normal for at least 6 months. Send relative for medical supplies. Perscriptions may be a problem for some.
    • Today is October 5th to help you put yourself in the right mind set. Winter is coming!! How harsh is forecast?
    • You live on 7 acres with few neighbors, 7 miles from a town of 1,600 with an older style Walmart and smaller grocery stores. Restock pantry
    • Your house and property is not in danger from the event. Establish perimeter to protect from looters.
    • You have some chickens, dogs and cats. Petfood from wallyworld.
    • The stores are taking credit cards, checks and cash. Max out EVERYONE'S cards if needed. Your staying, your contributing.
    • You have a wood stove, chain saw, ax and an assortment of tools normally encountered with someone who owns land with equipment. Can be handled later, should have wood cut for upcoming winter then some.
    • You won't be able to travel to escape the disaster. Protect the home front.

Everyone does a quick inventory and you have enough food and supplies for 3 weeks for all 5 adults.

The guns you own are a 22 rifle and pistol with 500 rounds, a 12 gauge shotgun with 300 shells and a 9 mm pistol with 300 rounds. Buy more ammo and highpowered rifle.

What you going to do?

Get an early start making a list and filling it soon as possible. Most people will either wait until Sunday night and grab bread, milk, pop, and chips or wait for the government. If they are staying they will need to kick in guns, ammo, money, labor so we all survive. Reality may prevent getting all the supplies wanted but some is better than none.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Get an early start making a list and filling it soon as possible. Most people will either wait until Sunday night and grab bread, milk, pop, and chips or wait for the government. If they are staying they will need to kick in guns, ammo, money, labor so we all survive. Reality may prevent getting all the supplies wanted but some is better than none.

In a serious event the stores would be empty very rapidly. If the grid was down it would most likely be cash and possibly checks if they know you. Small town probably so. Do you keep a reasonable cash stash in the safe for such things...???
    Living out in the fringes might be a plus. But also having more than a short amount of food reserves is not.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    In a serious event the stores would be empty very rapidly. If the grid was down it would most likely be cash and possibly checks if they know you. Small town probably so. Do you keep a reasonable cash stash in the safe for such things...???
    Living out in the fringes might be a plus. But also having more than a short amount of food reserves is not.

I gave an idealized response using OPs parameters, not likely guest planning on a short term stay brought much cash or anything else with them. As for cash reserves, hang an out of order on an ATM then sit back and watch the chaos. So if one has cash on hand it could be the deciding factor on getting supplies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd be kicking myself in the but for not having an AR or three laying around with accessories and lots of ammo.

Maybe one of the extra family members are smart enough to have brought their own?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I gave an idealized response using OPs parameters, not likely guest planning on a short term stay brought much cash or anything else with them. As for cash reserves, hang an out of order on an ATM then sit back and watch the chaos. So if one has cash on hand it could be the deciding factor on getting supplies.

How the supply thing plays out would be interesting. And again, if this were as serious as the OP laid out the grid might well be down. No power. No ATM's. Not refrigeration in the stores. No cash registers. People would actually have to make change....OMG the humanity...:):

It is hard to actually visualize the chaos that would come from a total grid failure. No cell phones/internet/cable/you name it.....NADA.

For me it is hard to see not having back up power if living out on the fringe. We have ample generating capability's and as stated we live in Indy.
    We have a fair mount of reserve fuel as well. And no questions as to being armed. So putting us in the middle of that scenario is tough. But the number of folks who fit in it are very high.

Out of order sign....I like it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I didn't see a listing for fuel, gas, diesel, propane or whatever. you need that to run vehicles, saws etc.

I wouldn't count on being able to go to town to buy anything, recent problems like Katrina show that leadership will move into those stores and uses them as a logistical base for public employees.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I didn't see a listing for fuel, gas, diesel, propane or whatever. you need that to run vehicles, saws etc.

I wouldn't count on being able to go to town to buy anything, recent problems like Katrina show that leadership will move into those stores and uses them as a logistical base for public employees.

(ahem)

I'd sned everyone out to max out the credit cards and buy as much fuel as I could including containers, then batteries, containers for water (and fill them immediately upon getting home), an inverter to use with one of the vehicles, boots and socks, bleach, soap, first-aid consumables, rubbing alcohol (multiple uses), aluminum foil, paper products, nitrile gloves, N95 masks, refill prescriptions, duct tape, wire, rolls of visqueen and/or tyvek, feed for the animals, canned and other nutritionally dense food that doesn't need refrigeration (e.g. peanut butter).

Wait. I'd also go online and download some list of things you'd need for an emergency because I'd be panicking and would forget things, then divide the list among the people to get as much of the stuff as they could.

Hmmm . . . maybe on on his IGNORE list?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't know how to use the ignore list.

I was directing that comment to the OP's original list as it mentioned equipment but no fuel. Besides, from what I've heard about your sharp object collection, what would you need a chainsaw for?;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I was directing that comment to the OP's original list as it mentioned equipment but no fuel. Besides, from what I've heard about your sharp object collection, what would you need a chainsaw for?;)

as too fuel. OP mentioned a few vehicles. We have means to remove fuel from about any vehicle tank. We do our best to keep the trucks half full or better all the time. Both have 30 gallon tanks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Maybe nuttin', but I'd still need to be able use vehicles as needed for as long as possible. I'll be the guy sitting in his car running the A/C! Hah!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    What I would do.

Leave now and gas up cars and truck. One stays behind for security.

look for a generator but likely there are none.

Most likely no chance to get ammo or guns, but worth a try.

Get shelf stable foods such as rice, canned goods, targets of opportunity

fresh veggies for seeds, yes I know they could be hybrids...

bale wire and buckets

booze , coffee, smokes and anything else good for barter

dog food

matches and lighters

feed supplies if any left

tarps, plastic sheeting and other items for emergency repairs

OTC and Rex meds

TP if any left. Soaps and laundry items

trash bags,lots of trash bags

zip lock bags

Household batteries and deep cycle batteries.

flour, sugar, salt and cooking oils

protein bars

raid the camping section for useful items

anything to grow foods in the spring

Clothes, shoes, socks underwear and blankets

hygiene supplies

12 volt led auto type bulbs for lights off charged deep cycle batteries and wire, wire connectors

Thats all I could think about.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What I would do.

<snip>
    Forgot a big tub of petroleum jelly, ziplock baggies (or saran wrap), and big bag of cotton balls.

No, I'm not concerned about your makeup removal. :): PJ infused cotton balls make awesome fire starters. put some cotton balls and petroleum jelly in a bag and massage the PJ into the balls (:): :naughty:) . When you are ready to start a fire, remove an impregnated cotton ball from the baggie and rip it in half. Place the ripped portions up on your tinder. You'll notice the fine threads of cotton sticking up as a result of the ripping motion. Those threads will light readily with merely a spark from a flint and steel or magnesium firestarter.

Top Bottom