• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looking for suggestions for inexpensive budget minded mobile dual band (2M/70CM). My budget is kinda limited, plus I want one that I wont cry over if its stolen.

Found a decent mobile, a QYT-9800. No frills, decent interface, and works well. But quality is hit or miss. The one in my shack I use as a base is good enough, but I had to return the first because it blew the fuse and wouldnt power back up after replacing it only after about 15 minutes of runtime. (just long enough to use CHIRP to program it)

Thought I would get one for my car so I bought a TYT 7900. After an hour trying to figure it out, I gave up and sent it back. Its operation style was overly complex and I didnt feel like trying to force myself into figuring out how to operate it. So I bought another QYT. This one arrived with a weak transmitter and dead mic. (worked halfway for the first 3 tx's of a net, then would only transmit a carrier) So it goes back and Im on the search for a replacement.

Found a promising one. An Anytone At-778UV. But its not CHIRP compatible, and after downloading their app, the database fields are totally different and not something I could easily exchange lists between it and CHIRP. I REALLY like being able to have the same channel setups across all my radios and the ability to make changes just by cutting and pasting the frequency list between configs.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a budget mobile? Trying to keep it under $150. I'd love a Kenwood, Yaesu, etc but those $300-$500+ radios just arent in my budget.

-25 or 50 watts; Just need to be able to reach repeaters reliably some are up to 40 miles away.
    -CHIRP compatible
    -Dual display dual watch (NO quad display, because its not easy enough to read)
    -Would like the reverse key but thats not a deal breaker. (flips the transmit/receive repeater frequencies)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    that's a tall order for that budget, for something (as you found) with any quality.

Can you push your budget just a little? There's a Yeasu FTM-7250 for $210.

Have you considered used?

Are you willing to give up any of those requirements? A handheld plugged in to a good antenna might be a good solution. an Alinco DJ-500 is $80. a yeasu FT-70D goes for $150 ... but you give up the output power.

-rvb

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    that's a tall order for that budget, for something (as you found) with any quality.

Can you push your budget just a little? There's a Yeasu FTM-7250 for $210.

Have you considered used?

Are you willing to give up any of those requirements? A handheld plugged in to a good antenna might be a good solution. an Alinco DJ-500 is $80. a yeasu FT-70D goes for $150 ... but you give up the output power.

-rvb

I've been running a handheld wired to a magnet mount antenna. just a PITA. if I could find a way to extend one of those handheld mic/speaker combos that might be better.

And if I have to suck it up, I can go a little higher. I just cant justify the $400 price tags Ive been seeing when I pretty much only use it for weather nets. (not a big rag chewer)

Also used seems a crap shoot. Most I see are priced barely below new. But I wouldnt be against a used unit.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've been running a handheld wired to a magnet mount antenna. just a PITA. if I could find a way to extend one of those handheld mic/speaker combos that might be better.

And if I have to suck it up, I can go a little higher. I just cant justify the $400 price tags Ive been seeing when I pretty much only use it for weather nets. (not a big rag chewer)

Also used seems a crap shoot. Most I see are priced barely below new. But I wouldnt be against a used unit.

do you have many uhf wx nets in your area? Lots of single band 2m units in that price range.

will be sending a pm in a few...

-rvb

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You can try finding a yeasu 1900r
    It's an old model but fits your budget.

I have one and it's a solid work horse.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you can you might want to check out the upcoming small hamfest here in Randolph county in a week or so. This is the first one so I don't know anything about it yet. I do know that the club in RC came over to ours in Greenville (and all the other clubs that surround us) and spoke about it. They got several volunteers to help out and have been planning it for a long time.

I'm planning on checking it out since it's pretty local for me. Maybe let go of an older 2m Yaesu go box if there's any interest.

East-Central Indiana Hamfest (Randolph County) | Marion County Amateur Radio Emergency Communications

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    2019_east-central_in_hamfest.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, Rooster.

Eyeing the BTech radios as a last resort. the 50x2 runs a bit hot (75w) and the 25x2 runs a bit cool (20w) but they both can be programmed to an easy to read dual name+freq instead of a quad view (That I have difficulty reading in the car)

And even BTech is taunting me. That same full color display on the 778 is one of their models. GMRS only for Btech, but still. Its a tease. :):

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    CM, I have a Gen 2 Btech 2501 in my Outback for the sole reason that it is super small and fits in that tiny covered compartment on my dash. My wife appreciates it. I have never had a problem with this radio. The gen one versions had problems. 25w means I can use its included cigarette adapter for power. That being said I do have an HT as a backup in my pack in the back of the car. For me it works and is low pro.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CM, I have a Gen 2 Btech 2501 in my Outback for the sole reason that it is super small and fits in that tiny covered compartment on my dash. My wife appreciates it. I have never had a problem with this radio. The gen one versions had problems. 25w means I can use its included cigarette adapter for power. That being said I do have an HT as a backup in my pack in the back of the car. For me it works and is low pro.

Thanks. You pushed me over the edge.

Maybe someday I can justify an iCom 5100D.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You've got an HT already so is there a reason to not look at a linear? I have a Kenwood TH-D72A and that feeds into a Mirage BD35 amp. 4w in 50w out on 2m or 4w in 35w out on 70cm. I bought mine used from R&L for $110 a couple years back. BD-35 MIRAGE BD35 4Win 45W/35Wout 144/440MHz DUAL BAND Gets me out very well for APRS and hitting the repeaters when I'm on the highway.

Its not so much about power as usability. Even equipping the HT with an ultra thin antenna lead, I hate fighting the cable. (cables if I'm using a battery eliminator too) I bought a window mount for the radio that worked well, but then finding a remote mic/speaker with a long enough cord was a problem. Then finding someplace near the HT to store the mic became an issue. (compact car)

A mobile was just a better solution. There is a spot in the center console for a mini unit like this to sit and it works well with minimal hassles.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have two TYT-8600's and have never had a problem with either. They are easily programmed with the software from their website. The fans are a bit loud.

Top Bottom