• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    You wake up and your property and all you own and those who were on it last night are transported in time back to 1804.

How is that going to work out for you?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Leadeye's wheelhouse.
    The local savages would be in for a rude awakening.

I'd be waaaaay short on powder and ball.

I'd have to eat all the food in the fridge. Buying a crosscut saw and a team of horses and a wagon is gonna be tough without the coin of the realm. Will need to melt some silver.. Hand sawing the winters wood would kill me so I wouldn't have to worry about it long.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    1804? As in transported to the exact spot you home currently occupies? I'm loading up my guns and family and headed to Canada, pledging my loyalty to the crown, make a mint in "creating" the most technologically advanced weapons ever, and watch the War of 1812 turn out entirely different. Unless, of course, someone has some REALLY powerful bleaching cream they can give me. :dunno:

-Or side with the Natives

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    1804? As in transported to the exact spot you home currently occupies? I'm loading up my guns and family and headed to Canada, pledging my loyalty to the crown, make a mint in "creating" the most technologically advanced weapons ever, and watch the War of 1812 turn out entirely different. Unless, of course, someone has some REALLY powerful bleaching cream they can give me. :dunno:

If you could do that, either side would have sworn you were white! :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

*WINNER*

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    You wake up and your property and all you own and those who were on it last night are transported in time back to 1804.

How is that going to work out for you?

'All I Have'...
    Machine & welding shop, extensive library of machine parts & gadgets, inventions, etc.
    Solar power & generator power, lots of alcohol available for fuel...

And it's 1804...
    First off, I'm going to take home Napoleon's 'X' prize for preservation of food with my home canning equipment,
    Roughly the equivalent of $1 million US dollars at the time.
    Seed money, and a LOT of it...

Just electrical welding will make a huge fortune...

And I'm probably going to take that money and become the of the largest food preservation corporation in the world very quickly.
    Feeding people is always a good start...

I'm going to become FILTHY rich 'Inventing' agriculture processing/farm equipment, and the engines that power them.
    That would also put a dent in, or entirely eliminate the US 'Civil' war.
    Slaves would simply become 'Too Expensive' when a tractor & combine can do the work of 1,000 slaves.
    Modern metallurgy makes steel & hardened bearings possible.
    Again, feeding people is always a good place to start...

My 'Invention' of modern transportation systems & machines would make me filthy rich again,
    And give me a lock on transportation much like railroads did for over 100 years in the US,
    BUT,
    I wouldn't use it to suppress other forms of transportation, I'd simply 'Invent' and own them also.
    That whole metallurgy & machining thing again, from wooden lathes to modern machine tools in a couple of years, mass production...

Since 'My' electrical power generators and local grids would rule the world, and I would have a 100 year jump on petroleum companies,
    And since 'My' batteries would have 200 year jump on petroleum companies,
    The air, water, soil would be a LOT cleaner simply because science has provided 200 years of advancements in efficiency & production.
    (Thank you Mr. Nicola Tesla!)

Since 'My' science would have a 200 year jump on the current time line, refining aluminum from bauxite through electro-chemical refining would happen, I'd be VERY rich again...
    Aluminum alone would be a staggering fortune, and give aluminum a 100 year jump on history.

Now, I would need people that could understand the science, so a series of University campuses would have to be set up...
    Free basic education for everyone in the area, and advanced education for anyone that can make the cut.
    Merit based ONLY, with no need for politics or outside financing, no one jumping the line or buying their way in.

Since this would be 'Black Magic' to the 'Conservatives', these would have to be immersion campuses, the locals would surely show up with pitchforks & flintlocks, some self-professed 'Profit' heading up the mob...
    But again, advanced, less lethal deterrents first, then break out the advanced weapons & explosives.

Since high order explosives hadn't been invented in 1804, and nitro based explosives can be made in a bathtub if you have the science, again, way ahead of the "religious", "conservatives",
    If they wanted to 'Conserve' the status quo, be more like the Amish and do without, PROVE your 'Conservatism' rather than try to force it on an advance civilization in the making... Lest you suffer a 1,000 pound high explosive shell bursting just over your head,
    (Like ISIS is experiencing right now...)

Did I mention modern (by today's standards) housing, treated running water, both hot & cold, air-condition & central heat, refrigerator/freezers, ect for employees & students?
    Like Henry Ford, an honest living wage for employees so they could afford things outside of basic survival?
    A rising tide lifts all boats!
    (Unless you tie yours down out of spite so it swamps!)

Maybe have to buy a few presidents, or just one for 10 terms, and several congresses, but they were a LOT cheaper back then, so no worries! ;)

Starting in 1804, you could set up in western territories before they became states, with lots of natural resources, effectively starting a well funded, well educated government that because of sheer manufacturing power could sway the US government away from some of the more stupid & costly ideas through the last 200+ years...
    And NO, I didn't say 'Puppet Government', a government that actually listens to the people doing the science, the people actually making something, in the best interest of THOSE people, instead of bought & paid for career pundit political types.

How about a moon landing in 1896 instead of 1969...?
    Maybe no US 'Civil' war and no world wars at all?
    Starting in 1804 and working quick enough, how about no communism?
    How about Stalin & Hitler get some jobs as graphic artists, Castro gets signed to a baseball team?
    How about major free market manufacturing in Russia & the Middle East giving them something other than the Russian Empire, Ottoman Empire & Persian Empire as the high point of their history and trying to rebuild those by force?
    How about 100 or 150 year jump on vaccines so countless plagues didn't happen?
    How about a 200+ year jump and unlimited funding on diseases like cancer, malaria, polio, diabetes, etc.?

"What IF?..."

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    'All I Have'...
    Machine & welding shop, extensive library of machine parts & gadgets, inventions, etc.
    Solar power & generator power, lots of alcohol available for fuel...

And it's 1804...
    First off, I'm going to take home Napoleon's 'X' prize for preservation of food with my home canning equipment,
    Roughly the equivalent of $1 US dollars at the time.

Just electrical welding will make a huge fortune...

And I'm probably going to take that money and become the of the largest food preservation corporation in the world very quickly.

I'm going to become FILTHY rich 'Inventing' agriculture processing/farm equipment, and the engines that power them.
    That would also put a dent in, or entirely eliminate the US 'Civil' war.
    Slaves would simply become 'Too Expensive' when a tractor & combine can do the work of 1,000 slaves.

My 'Invention' of modern transportation systems & machines would make me filthy rich again,
    And give me a lock on transportation much like railroads did for over 100 years in the US,
    BUT,
    I wouldn't use it to suppress other forms of transportation, I'd simply 'Invent' and own them also.

Since 'My' electrical power generators and local grids would rule the world, and I would have a 100 year jump on petroleum companies,
    And since 'My' batteries would have 200 year jump on petroleum companies,
    The air, water, soil would be a LOT cleaner.
    (Thank you Mr. Nicola Tesla!)

Since 'My' science would have a 200 year jump on the current time line, refining aluminum from bauxite through electro-chemical refining would happen, I'd be VERY rich again...

Now, I would need people that could understand the science, so a series of University campuses would have to be set up...
    Free education for anyone that can make the cut.
    Since this would be 'Black Magic' to the 'Conservatives', these would have to be immersion campuses, the locals would surely show up with pitchforks & flintlocks, some self-professed 'Profit' heading up the mob...
    But again, advanced, less lethal deterrents first, then break out the advanced weapons & explosives.

Since high order explosives hadn't been invented in 1804, and nitro based explosives can be made in a bathtub if you have the science, again, way ahead of the religious conservatives.

Did I mention modern (by today's standards) housing, treated running water, both hot & cold, air-condition & central heat, refrigerator/freezers, ect for employees & students?
    Like Henry Ford, an honest living wage for employees so they could afford things outside of basic survival?

Maybe have to buy a few presidents, and several congresses, but they were a LOT cheaper back then, so no worries! ;)

How about a moon landing in 1896 instead of 1969...?
    Maybe no US 'Civil' war and no world wars at all?
    Starting in 1804 and working quick enough, how about no communism?
    How about Stalin & Hitler get some jobs as graphic artists, Castro gets signed to a baseball team?

"What IF?..."

Would you create a temporal paradox? For example, you introduce a Tesla invention. Tesla never really hits the scene as a result, therefore you could not learn it from him in the future. How does this work out?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Would you create a temporal paradox? For example, you introduce a Tesla invention. Tesla never really hits the scene as a result, therefore you could not learn it from him in the future. How does this work out?

Different timeline is created from that point forward, you are outside of the original timeline so everything that happens afterward is "new".
    Didn't you watch the documentaries on this? "Back to the Future" or "Avengers End Game"?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Different timeline is created from that point forward, you are outside of the original timeline so everything that happens afterward is "new".
    Didn't you watch the documentaries on this? "Back to the Future" or "Avengers End Game"?

Avengers End Game is a realistic depiction of what can happen if we ban suppressors.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

I didn't make the 'Rules' or 'Game', just following what the OP wrote down.

"You & Yours, land, and everything you have"

I have a crap TON of gadget books, I LOVE fiddling with little mechanical & electrical devices...
    I also have a crap ton of chemistry & metallurgy books, including how electrical welding rods are made.

My first was 'The Boy Electrician' I picked up in 1st grade, this ALONE would put me 100 years ahead, including telephones, radio, electrical generation & control systems, ect...

9781559181648-us.jpg

Keep in mind I carry electro-magnetic link, power production, switching systems, metallurgy & machining, including heat treating in my head, I still have a 150 year jump on science of 1804...
    Just my knowledge of 'Energetics' (explosives) chemistry puts me 50+ years ahead of the invention of dynamite and modern nitro-cellulose based propellants (Smokeless 'Gun Powder' to the science challenged).

While it's obvious I don't think like *Most* of the rest of the forum users,
    I spent nearly 60 years figuring out and learning not only *How* things work, but the precise way they do work (science),
    And a good bit of that in research was on what the creator, inventor, scientist tried and went through to get a positive result.
    I know a BUNCH of what NOT to do that didn't work, as well as *Specifically* what does work & how it was done.

An example is cutting tool steel.
    First tool steel, then high speed steel.
    While without Google there won't be but a few that knows the difference, and I would venture to say that NONE have actually made either.
    I reproduced the process just to see if I *Could* do it, so I know exactly how to do it...
    In 1804 proper tool steel hadn't been invented, neither had high speed steel, that alone would make a HUGE fortune.

I started and ran a business rewinding electric motors, building & rebuilding starters, alternators & AC motors.
    I sold the business, but it's not like that information went anywhere in my head, and dozens of books around here showing exactly how about all electrical motors & generators were constructed... Again, anther HUGE fortune...

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    What about 'Joe Average'?
    Not the idiot 'Google/Smart Phone' generation,
    but someone that's worked manual jobs?

A plumber would know how to design, if not make, a crap load of water control valves.

A home builder would take a BUNCH of modern construction knowledge back even if he had to have tools made in scale to make dimensional lumber to work with, and while they did have shaving machines for veneers, and glue, a plywood press had yet to be invented.
    Plywood changes construction forever...

In 1804 hydraulic cement had been lost to history since he fall of the Roman Empire.
    It wasn't re-discovered until about the time of the US civil war.
    Concrete that hardens under water changes everything in foundations, harbors, etc 50+ years sooner and makes someone VERY RICH.

Even a dedicated home gardener would know WHY you rotate crops, why you don't plow east to west, why you leave grass or tree breaks between fields, etc.
    Seed germination wouldn't be 'Magic', hybreds would increase yields AND produce disease/drought resistant strains.

Electric iron/steel furnaces makes high volume steel (and alloys) possible when iron wasn't even reliable & was costly.
    They simply couldn't get pig iron hot enough to burn the carbon out, so reliable oxygen injection steel was rare & expensive.
    Just in small shop batches for cutting edges (tool steel/high speed steel) would jump machining an order of magnitude over night.
    An electric arc furnace would produce temps to make carbide tool bits, another order of magnitude jump in machining, and it wouldn't take but a couple hundred amps for small batch production to keep your process a secret...

While the 'One Liners' and meme generation sit on their thumbs, anyone with a manual, practical education would excel beyond all expectations of wealth & success, and have the real potential to do good, change the US, if not the world.

The guys that *Think* they would get ahead selling gun designs...
    good luck with that...
    Sam Colt & Oliver Winchester, right along with every firearms designer were hobbled with the materials & production challenges of the day, and modern firearms designs would be impossible since no metals that hold the pressure of modern cartridges, no machines to effectively mass produce the designs, no tool bits that would hold the tolerances needed, and most important, not a one of them would know how to make the nitro-cellulose based propellant the firearms designs require.

Aluminum is out of the question, what little samples there were cost more than gold or patnium in 1804.
    Ordnance steel wasn't invented until the 1880s, and started as boiler steel to hold back boiler/steam pressure, make steam piston cylinders from.

Lets not get started with primers...
    The chemistry for a modern primer won't show up until after WWII, and while I see people cut & paste the ingredients of modern primers, the explosive 'Energetics' used won't be invented until the early 1900s,
    And while you *Might* know what's in the primers, about Zero knows the chemistry to make the base components or mix them in ratio, or have a process to make a finished product...

Although my mind doesn't work like most do,
    In this instance it would be a real advantage.
    I don't read fiction, I read manuals, text books, 'How To' books, listen to dissertations & TED talks, watch university level or industrial tutorials.

My 'Gun' rack will never impress me as much as a library full of non fiction!
    (And I'm acutely aware that makes me 'Weird' to you all, you have made that QUITE clear, QUITE often, and QUITE loudly...)

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Did I 'Break' the game?...

I don't think you broke the game. But you and a few others mentioned how they'd get rich having today's knowledge after being transported back to 1804. That assumes that each person is the "only" one transported. If everybody got transported, then everybody would have today's knowledge and I guess whomever made it to the patent office first would win.

Top Bottom