Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Barefoot???

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

The pitfalls...

I splashed a 50 cent piece sized glob of smoking hot lard over the edge of the Campchef griddle and onto my right foot yesterday. Today, I complimented that with another lapse of stupid by running the "barefoot" weedeater string across the top of my left foot toes.

Neither injury left a mark, but both immediately left me dancing, howling and worried about how wearing a shoe again might be.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

I'm actually going barefoot around the house more now than I ever have before; I am a true "tenderfoot." Lately I've been walking around inside with socks on, but mainly it's like my clothing; I generally get dressed first thing in the morning - complete with my EDC stuff - and don't undress until bedtime. And I keep my clothes and shoes close to hand in case of emergencies.

I understand people who are used to walking barefoot and who have toughened feet enjoy that sort of thing, but I can't help thinking about how quickly picking up a nail or rock in an emergency situation can cripple you at an inopportune time. To me it's not worth the risk. Same thing is true for driving barefoot - no protection at all in case of an accident.
    "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." Robert A. Heinlein

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk2001 View Post
    I'm actually going barefoot around the house more now than I ever have before; I am a true "tenderfoot." Lately I've been walking around inside with socks on, but mainly it's like my clothing; I generally get dressed first thing in the morning - complete with my EDC stuff - and don't undress until bedtime. And I keep my clothes and shoes close to hand in case of emergencies.

I understand people who are used to walking barefoot and who have toughened feet enjoy that sort of thing, but I can't help thinking about how quickly picking up a nail or rock in an emergency situation can cripple you at an inopportune time. To me it's not worth the risk. Same thing is true for driving barefoot - no protection at all in case of an accident.
    You are absolutely right about most barefoot activities away from home being not worth the risk. While I do like to do the occasional low risk testing, just to make sure I could do it, it is a bad idea to live as though your feet are not at risk.

Years ago, Mercop taught us about the risks of even wearing sandals out and about. A solidly placed boot stomp or kick to your toes and exposed foot parts can quickly immobilize and incapacitate you to fight off or escape an attacker.

I wear sandals to bank fish and to put small boats in the water. Driving back and forth to the water is about it for the sandals other than actual being in or near the water. If I'm smart, even then I'll throw a real pair of shoes in the vehicle in case of emergency.
    Last edited by bwframe; 07-21-2019 at 22:04.
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Here in the GSF, the ticks will eat you feet first. Always wear shoes.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

I absolutely cannot stand to go barefoot. I don't even like sandals all that much. I put my shoes on when I leave the house and take them off when I get home. The only time I'm not wearing socks is when I'm in the shower. And any liquid on the floor with socks is horrible. -Jason

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4