Homeowners limit on propane / gas storage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Hello Ingo,

I was listening to a podcast / webinar today where the speaker mentioned that many municipalities / states regulate the amount of propane that a homeowner could store, and that should your house have a fire and you were in violation of the statute, your homeowners insurance could deny the claim. He suggested that in most of the country having 40# of propane would be in violation. I love to grill so I have a few of the 15# canisters around and then quite a few of the 1# canisters for camping cooking and the heat buddy. Not to mention enough gas to fill up 2 SUV's. I did a quick search of the IC and and didn't see anything that regulated homeowners other than handling / refilling etc. Nothing on a limit. I did a brief search here too and didn't see anything. Does anyone know if this is a real thing?

Thanks in advance!
    JayPea

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Uh. Well I guess I'm screwed then....seeing as my home is heated from a rather large tank of the dinosaur farts.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Uh. Well I guess I'm screwed then....seeing as my home is heated from a rather large tank of the dinosaur farts.

I understand there are separate regulations for the tanks installed outside the home or underground. I'm more inquiring about the portable containers. Sorry I wasn't more specific in my post.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Though I'm not sure about law, my home owners insurance does limit us to 40# of propane stored in the dwelling (Detached garage or other detached building). Being worded as such we should be able to get away with three 20# on the property, 1 on the grill outside and 2 in the garage. Keep in mind tanks are filled to 80%.

Next summer I am looking at putting up a storage shed on one of the back corners of the property where I plan on storing my propane, gas, and Kero. I'll also be installing a small ventilation system. It will most likely be a vent about 1 foot off the ground on one side and another on the opposite side at the highest point using a solar powered fan to suck and fumes out.

Last edited:

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Insurance Companys have specific regs on this.
    When the shed is finished, it's contents are going to violate insurance regs within minutes. I'd rather the shed burn down instead of my home if one of the tanked decided to leak.

Side note for everyone. Propane tanks are considered good for 12 years after the stamped manufactured date. At the end of the 12 years it can be tested for an additional 5 years of use. After that, the tank must be recycled/disposed of.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    nun42ps.png

Side note to 10-32's side note: Tractor Supply will thoroughly check to make sure any tank you bring in for a refill is still within compliance as to the manufacture date. I was caught by surprise last year and had to have one of my 40lb tanks re-certified.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    When mine get out of date or rough looking, I just trade in at rural king, their prefilled tanks are pretty good. I've traded in some nasty rusty tanks and ones that were pre-opd with no problems (most of the time) they also have 40 and 100# tanks.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Side note to 10-32's side note: Tractor Supply will thoroughly check to make sure any tank you bring in for a refill is still within compliance as to the manufacture date.

I think it depends on who you get to refill your tank(s). We get ours filled at Tractor supply, and even though they're still up to date, the employee usually doesn't check them. Some employees wear all the PPE and follow all the rules, but it seems like most just don't care.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Insurance Companys have specific regs on this.

We are with Erie for home owners insurance. I called them before I purchased a 550 gallon gas tank. They told me as long as we did the install in accordance with state and federal guide lines they had no issues. We had a good friend who is a master electrician wire the tank pump. There were several things that needed to be done. Fill cap had to at least six feet from any non-related electrical box, meter or fixture. Aluminum conduit had to be sealed so fumes can't move through it into service panel.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I looked through my homeowner's policy and found nothing about fuel storage. For those of you with policies that specifically mention limits on fuel storage, what section of your policy has the pertinent text?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I looked through my homeowner's policy and found nothing about fuel storage. For those of you with policies that specifically mention limits on fuel storage, what section of your policy has the pertinent text?

This is part of the email responce when I asked USAA about it. After rereading it, I now see I can have 5 of the 20# tanks.

Home Storage of Flammable LP-Gases (Propane and Butane)
    • Residential Propane storage issues are more complex than those for flammable and combustible liquids. If you want a permanent LP-Gas system and tank installed, county ordinance allows you up to 2,000 gallons water capacity in heavily populated areas, provided you obtain a permit, comply with relevant installation codes, and hire a state licensed contractor to perform the work and supply the equipment and product. However, some cities have passed local ordinances that restrict total LP-Gas capacity to 500 gallons or less, where natural gas service is readily available. Please contact any state licensed Propane supplier, under “Gas-Propane” in the yellow pages, for more information regarding permanent Propane gas installations.
    • For portable DOT tank storage, you are allowed up to 25 gallons total capacity. You could have up to five 5-gallon (20 lb) portable appliance cylinders (the size usually found on barbecue grills – DOT 4BA240); or one 23-gallon (100 lb) cylinder (DOT 4BW240), in storage at your home, in an unattached garage or shed. But, if you want to store propane and flammable liquids together, they should be separated by at least 10 feet.
    • You are only allowed to store up to two (2) of the small portable 1-pound cylinders inside your home or attached garage. (NFPA 58/5-34) All other propane cylinder storage must be outside your home in an unattached garage or shed.
    • Propane cylinders attached to heating and/or cooking appliances, as well as those mounted on trailers, motor homes, and campers, do not count towards your total storage capacity.
    • Unattached or empty cylinders are counted as being full for purposes of calculating your total storage.

10thumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2015
    sw in
    If you happen to have a large tank for your gas, you can get the fittings and fill your own small tanks. -For what its worth.

Top Bottom