Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Homeowners limit on propane / gas storage?

Hello Ingo,

I was listening to a podcast / webinar today where the speaker mentioned that many municipalities / states regulate the amount of propane that a homeowner could store, and that should your house have a fire and you were in violation of the statute, your homeowners insurance could deny the claim. He suggested that in most of the country having 40# of propane would be in violation. I love to grill so I have a few of the 15# canisters around and then quite a few of the 1# canisters for camping cooking and the heat buddy. Not to mention enough gas to fill up 2 SUV's. I did a quick search of the IC and and didn't see anything that regulated homeowners other than handling / refilling etc. Nothing on a limit. I did a brief search here too and didn't see anything. Does anyone know if this is a real thing?

Thanks in advance!
    JayPea

Expert

User Info Menu

Uh. Well I guess I'm screwed then....seeing as my home is heated from a rather large tank of the dinosaur farts.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Uh. Well I guess I'm screwed then....seeing as my home is heated from a rather large tank of the dinosaur farts.
    I understand there are separate regulations for the tanks installed outside the home or underground. I'm more inquiring about the portable containers. Sorry I wasn't more specific in my post.

User Info Menu

Though I'm not sure about law, my home owners insurance does limit us to 40# of propane stored in the dwelling (Detached garage or other detached building). Being worded as such we should be able to get away with three 20# on the property, 1 on the grill outside and 2 in the garage. Keep in mind tanks are filled to 80%.

Next summer I am looking at putting up a storage shed on one of the back corners of the property where I plan on storing my propane, gas, and Kero. I'll also be installing a small ventilation system. It will most likely be a vent about 1 foot off the ground on one side and another on the opposite side at the highest point using a solar powered fan to suck and fumes out.
    Last edited by 10-32; 07-28-2019 at 18:09.
    ANY attack against the Constitution is an act of terrorism and should be dealt with accordingly.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Insurance Companys have specific regs on this.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Insurance Companys have specific regs on this.
    When the shed is finished, it's contents are going to violate insurance regs within minutes. I'd rather the shed burn down instead of my home if one of the tanked decided to leak.

Side note for everyone. Propane tanks are considered good for 12 years after the stamped manufactured date. At the end of the 12 years it can be tested for an additional 5 years of use. After that, the tank must be recycled/disposed of.
    ANY attack against the Constitution is an act of terrorism and should be dealt with accordingly.

Expert

User Info Menu

She sheds are designed to catch fire....

Based on the TV commercial.

Just saying...
    Remember to use what Mother Nature gave you BEFORE Father Time takes it away!!!!

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S8MS-01904 View Post
    She sheds are designed to catch fire....

Based on the TV commercial.

Just saying...
    Beat me to it.....
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Side note to 10-32's side note: Tractor Supply will thoroughly check to make sure any tank you bring in for a refill is still within compliance as to the manufacture date. I was caught by surprise last year and had to have one of my 40lb tanks re-certified.

Marksman

User Info Menu

When mine get out of date or rough looking, I just trade in at rural king, their prefilled tanks are pretty good. I've traded in some nasty rusty tanks and ones that were pre-opd with no problems (most of the time) they also have 40 and 100# tanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast