• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    OK, let's say you have a magic ball that says you know that the balloon is going to go up in 2 days. Let's say it is safe to get out (not many people are aware yet). You have cash or the ability to use credit/debit cards and let's say you have about $5000 to spend (just to impose some limit not a hard and fast amount). What do you go to the store and get. Let's also limit it to a Walmart or Meijer type store.

For me, here is some things I would get, but I this to me is a learning process, so I do not pretend to have the final answers. I also have some stuff already as would hope you all do too.
    Canned Veggies
    Canned Fruit
    Canned Meat
    Bisquick
    Powdered Milk
    Flour
    Yeast
    Baking Powder
    Dried Fruits
    Cured Meats (pepperoni)
    Rice
    Beans
    Vitamins

Go!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No offense, but I think that the real preppers might not even go to the store at all?

Possibly pick up some extra dairy or perishables. Maybe top off the vehicle has tanks and fill all the cans?

Maybe a trip to the range to verify your zero's?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No offense, but I think that the real preppers might not even go to the store at all?

Possibly pick up some extra dairy or perishables? Maybe top off the vehicle has tanks and fill all the cans? Propane similarly.

Mostly that stuff is on the regular routine.

Maybe a trip to the range to verify your zero's?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Liquor, Cigarettes, Coffee, Toilet Paper, Soap
    Meds from the pharmacy will be tougher, but invaluable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If we did go out among the great masses of morons it would be to top of the paper goods. TP plates towel flat ware etc.
    Fuel as already mentioned. As many flats of water ad we could haul out with us.
    LP.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If we did go out among the great masses of morons it would be to top of the paper goods. TP plates towel flat ware etc.
    Fuel as already mentioned. As many flats of water ad we could haul out with us.
    LP.

Big Berkey filter for water. Buy vodka. It will trade for almost anything. Read about the seige of Sarajevo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Big Berkey filter for water. Buy vodka. It will trade for almost anything. Read about the seige of Sarajevo.

In my area Tequila would be the liquid of choice. And Dosequis (Sp)

Water. That is always the key. If you are a prepper at any level freeze dried food keeps so much better/easier than bulk products. Living in the burbs/hood there is no serious source to even use a berkey with. Unless it is summer and we have the pool up we are on our own.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd look at one last trip to the store as a way to top everything off or freshen up stored goods. Sure, I've already got Tylenol, pepto, canned foods etc, but when did I buy them and what's the expiration date? I'd probably consider filling every gas tank I've got and refilling every can I have with fresh fuel.

In addition to some canned food some foods that will expire shortly, I'd stock up on fresh food. It always amazes me that at every power outage fools run out and buy all the canned goods they can get their hands on, because it has such a great shelf life. Then they go home with their proud new can of dinty moore and open it right up to dig in. At that point, why not have some fresh veggies, apples, oranges, bread or whatever else that you don't expect to see again for a long time. I'd rather not start digging into canned foods until a couple weeks into a disaster.

I'd probably also get a couple cases of cheep beer, cartons of cigarettes, and some cheap booze. The more I get to know people, the more I see people who are complete slaves to these vises and I think it'll be nice to help ease them off their withdraw that they'll go through, and would be an amazing bargaining currency.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm staying here, town is trouble if it's going to be anywhere. I would try to have the LP tanks topped off.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Good on fuel. I know it is in the back of my mind, but needs to be in the front.
    Churchmouse, you reminded me I need to get the big ol' stack of paper plates to add to my preps. It is not super important, but it sure would be handy to not have to wash something else for a while, or when other matters were more important.

I am going to compile a list for myself. I kind of like the Jack Spirko binder mentality. (off subject a bit... I already have some lists of 3 categories leave right now probably coming back, leave in a day or two probably coming back, but perhaps not, and leave in a week never to return. There might be a crossover of leave now never to return, but at least these have been thought through more than the average person).

For the posters that said if you are prepped, do not leave. I agree with that, but then again, I am never done prepping. I would not venture out unless it was safe to (the scenario laid out) or had a desperate need.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Coffee filters.
    Can be used for initial filtration of available water, good wound coverings, great wrappers for lead bullets to get jacketed performance and oh yeah, for making coffee.

2nd on the list, coffee.
    :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good on fuel. I know it is in the back of my mind, but needs to be in the front.
    Churchmouse, you reminded me I need to get the big ol' stack of paper plates to add to my preps. It is not super important, but it sure would be handy to not have to wash something else for a while, or when other matters were more important.

I am going to compile a list for myself. I kind of like the Jack Spirko binder mentality. (off subject a bit... I already have some lists of 3 categories leave right now probably coming back, leave in a day or two probably coming back, but perhaps not, and leave in a week never to return. There might be a crossover of leave now never to return, but at least these have been thought through more than the average person).

For the posters that said if you are prepped, do not leave. I agree with that, but then again, I am never done prepping. I would not venture out unless it was safe to (the scenario laid out) or had a desperate need.

Paper supply's.
    TP......major. Especially if you have a few females in the group.
    Paper plates. Yup no washing and easier to start a fire with the used ones.
    Paper towels. The roll for general stuff and the boxed shop towels. There might be a long time before the washer runs again.
    Flatware. Sams sells plastic spoons/forks/knives in huge boxes. We have 2 of them.
    Napkins. Yup. Especially with kids.
    The coffee filters thing is a good idea.

Sams/Costco sells all of the above in bulk at good prices.

10thumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2015
    sw in
    Chicken feed and dog food. And from the welding supply, two tanks of hydrogen and one oxygen. -Won't that make water?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    If I know the balloon is going, no matter what I had prepped already, Sams or Costco for pallets of the following:

salt
    sugar
    flour
    oats
    beans
    coffee
    like the beer and other alcohol idea
    tobacco
    lots of dish soap
    Water filters

all the fresh veggies we could eat in 2 weeks.

get all the fuel tanks at the farm topped off.

Any my bang bang stuff I find

Like the coffee filters idea

no water as there are many sources that do not run dry near us

the library. We will need stuff to keep us sane-ish

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Top off fuel tanks and stock up on perishables.

Everything else is taken care of.

I suppose if it was definitely going to be a situation where the dollar would never again have any value, I would also find a way to burn up any remaining cash with additional supplies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Top off fuel tanks and stock up on perishables.

Everything else is taken care of.

I suppose if it was definitely going to be a situation where the dollar would never again have any value, I would also find a way to burn up any remaining cash with additional supplies.

Spend it all if you can.

Top Bottom