Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar flare

Plinker

User Info Menu

Solar flare

What is everyones thoughts about solar flare?
    Looks like if this where ever to happen,there will be very few running cars,no communication with electronics,no news ect.
    Sounds crazy but pretty scarey also.

User Info Menu

Solar flares happen all the time. Out planet is constantly being bombarded. We even have times where they are more powerful and/or frequent. It can cause for interesting ham radio propagation.

However, in regards to a flare causing a huge disruption out our daily lives, I don't worry about it. If I started to worry about that I'd have to worry about meteors causing global extinction or one of the religions being right about end of days like events. I think we are more likely to die at our own hands vs that of nature.
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Yeal probably right.
    I watched a show last week on it.
    They had a big one back in the 1800's and we are due for another big one anytime.
    They said on the show that a big enough one could wipe out anything electrical.
    Kinda makes you think and say hmmmmmm!

User Info Menu

Actually most cars and trucks have Engine Control Modules (ECMs) and Transmission Control Modules (TCMs) that are hardened against things you are worrying about. The electrical grid has so far stood up against what the sun has thrown at us so far.

User Info Menu

We have had flares large enough to see the Northern Lights in Indiana. I think some of the power grid was effected by that one. Cars didn't seem to be (didn't hear of anything). It is really the coronal mass ejection that does the damage, and not every flare has one. Right now, we are in a Solar Minima, so the lowest part of the flare cycle. 2020 should be the lowest. Then, 11 years to the next peak. You have time to prep.

A little interesting reading from NASA:
    https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml
    Ryan "ElDirector"

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=indykid; The electrical grid has so far stood up against what the sun has thrown at us so far.[/QUOTE]
    There was one back in cowboy days that supposedly caused telegraph wires to melt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woodsie57 View Post
    There was one back in cowboy days that supposedly caused telegraph wires to melt
    Must have melted a few cowboys and Indians as well
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

K_W

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shootin45super View Post
    What is everyones thoughts about solar flare?
    Looks like if this where ever to happen,there will be very few running cars,no communication with electronics,no news ect.
    Sounds crazy but pretty scarey also.
    Stop reading the pseudoscience doomsday blogs. Car electronics are well shielded and robust. Power grid absorbs flares regularly. Any flare big enough to disrupt a car will kill you anyway.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K_W View Post
    Stop reading the pseudoscience doomsday blogs. Car electronics are well shielded and robust. Power grid absorbs flares regularly. Any flare big enough to disrupt a car will kill you anyway.
    Bingo.
    I often smile at my fellow preppers that keep an older breaker point ignition system car/truck fearing EMF. These new system are already hardened.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Plinker

User Info Menu

According to the show I watched,it said it could wipe out all electrical info like banks and such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast