• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    What is everyones thoughts about solar flare?
    Looks like if this where ever to happen,there will be very few running cars,no communication with electronics,no news ect.
    Sounds crazy but pretty scarey also.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Solar flares happen all the time. Out planet is constantly being bombarded. We even have times where they are more powerful and/or frequent. It can cause for interesting ham radio propagation.

However, in regards to a flare causing a huge disruption out our daily lives, I don't worry about it. If I started to worry about that I'd have to worry about meteors causing global extinction or one of the religions being right about end of days like events. I think we are more likely to die at our own hands vs that of nature.

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    Yeal probably right.
    I watched a show last week on it.
    They had a big one back in the 1800's and we are due for another big one anytime.
    They said on the show that a big enough one could wipe out anything electrical.
    Kinda makes you think and say hmmmmmm!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually most cars and trucks have Engine Control Modules (ECMs) and Transmission Control Modules (TCMs) that are hardened against things you are worrying about. The electrical grid has so far stood up against what the sun has thrown at us so far.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have had flares large enough to see the Northern Lights in Indiana. I think some of the power grid was effected by that one. Cars didn't seem to be (didn't hear of anything). It is really the coronal mass ejection that does the damage, and not every flare has one. Right now, we are in a Solar Minima, so the lowest part of the flare cycle. 2020 should be the lowest. Then, 11 years to the next peak. You have time to prep.

A little interesting reading from NASA:
    https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    What is everyones thoughts about solar flare?
    Looks like if this where ever to happen,there will be very few running cars,no communication with electronics,no news ect.
    Sounds crazy but pretty scarey also.

Stop reading the pseudoscience doomsday blogs. Car electronics are well shielded and robust. Power grid absorbs flares regularly. Any flare big enough to disrupt a car will kill you anyway.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stop reading the pseudoscience doomsday blogs. Car electronics are well shielded and robust. Power grid absorbs flares regularly. Any flare big enough to disrupt a car will kill you anyway.

Bingo.
    I often smile at my fellow preppers that keep an older breaker point ignition system car/truck fearing EMF. These new system are already hardened.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Top Bottom