Join INGunOwners For Free
    Master

User Info Menu

Food prep - Canning navy beans and ham

So we cooked a ham this week...and had this glorious ham shank bone left over. So I got on Youtube and watched several vids on making home canned ham and bean soup...using dried beans.

Used a one pound bag (dry weight) of small navy beans, some celery, carrots, and diced up leftover ham.

Very simple to do, you must have a pressure canner. This can not be made safely in a water bath canner.

Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry beans (MAX...no more than 3/4 cup) in a quart jar, a layer of celery, a layer of carrots, a layer of diced ham....added a water/chicken broth mix and pressure canned for 90 minutes. Turned out great, made 10 quarts. Good on the shelf for a couple years.

See you tube for other bean and ham recipes.
    Last edited by PistolBob; 09-20-2019 at 17:47.

User Info Menu

I'm going to have to try my bean experiment on navy beans. It worked on black beans that I bought in the grocery store. They germinated and produced another crop of viable beans so I just keep some bags around as part of my foods program. I like cornbread and beans so there are several jars of Randall's in the pantry ready to eat.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    So we cooked a ham this week...and had this glorious ham shank bone left over. So I got on Youtube and watched several vids on making home canned ham and bean soup...using dried beans.

Used a one pound bag of small navy beans, some celery, carrots, and diced up leftover ham.

Very simple to do, you must have a pressure canner. This can not be made safely in a water bath canner.

Put 3/4 cup dry beans (MAX...no more than 3/4 cup) in a quart jar, a layer of celery, a layer of carrots, a layer of diced ham....added a water/chicken broth mix and pressure canned for 90 minutes. Turned out great, made 10 quarts. Good on the shelf for a couple years.

Curious how you got 10 quarts out of one pound of beans. Your recipe said 3/4 cup dry beans into quart jar. Pound is 2 cups. You would need a lot more than a pound????

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phatgemi View Post
    Curious how you got 10 quarts out of one pound of beans. Your recipe said 3/4 cup dry beans into quart jar. Pound is 2 cups. You would need a lot more than a pound????
    I don't know...it was a 16 oz (dry weight) bag of beans. Not sure what the dry weight of 3/4 cup was...didn't weigh it. Heck it may have been a 2lb bag...looking.... nope...16 oz. Damned good question...maybe she only used a 1/2 cup of beans....I'll have to find out. We got 10 jars of bean soup..

Plinker

User Info Menu

Used a one pound bag (dry weight) of small navy beans, some celery, carrots, and diced up leftover ham.

Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry beans (MAX...no more than 3/4 cup) in a quart jar, a layer of celery, a layer of carrots, a layer of diced ham....added a water/chicken broth mix and pressure canned for 90 minutes. Turned out great, made 10 quarts. Good on the shelf for a couple years.

I canned 18 quarts of this the other day. Also canned 12 quarts of venison stew. Going to be good when it's cold outside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
    I canned 18 quarts of this the other day. Also canned 12 quarts of venison stew. Going to be good when it's cold outside.
    That's some serious canning.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Master

User Info Menu

Have never canned stew....how long did you have to pressure can it? Tried canning my secret baked beans once...it was fail city.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

I can't wait to try that. Thanks Bob!
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Have never canned stew....how long did you have to pressure can it? Tried canning my secret baked beans once...it was fail city.
    15 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes. I have canned venison meat many times the same way and it has lasted a few years.

Master

User Info Menu

15 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes. I have canned venison meat many times the same way and it has lasted a few years.
    We can pork, chicken, beef, and venison (when we can get it)...I know for 90 mins....we might be using 12 lbs of pressure...not too sure. I have always wondered about canning stew but never tried it. Was leery about doing meat and veggies at the same time but I guess if you go 90 mins everything ought to be fine. Just two of us I think I'd use pints.