• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So we cooked a ham this week...and had this glorious ham shank bone left over. So I got on Youtube and watched several vids on making home canned ham and bean soup...using dried beans.

Used a one pound bag (dry weight) of small navy beans, some celery, carrots, and diced up leftover ham.

Very simple to do, you must have a pressure canner. This can not be made safely in a water bath canner.

Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry beans (MAX...no more than 3/4 cup) in a quart jar, a layer of celery, a layer of carrots, a layer of diced ham....added a water/chicken broth mix and pressure canned for 90 minutes. Turned out great, made 10 quarts. Good on the shelf for a couple years.

See you tube for other bean and ham recipes.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm going to have to try my bean experiment on navy beans. It worked on black beans that I bought in the grocery store. They germinated and produced another crop of viable beans so I just keep some bags around as part of my foods program. I like cornbread and beans so there are several jars of Randall's in the pantry ready to eat.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    So we cooked a ham this week...and had this glorious ham shank bone left over. So I got on Youtube and watched several vids on making home canned ham and bean soup...using dried beans.

Used a one pound bag of small navy beans, some celery, carrots, and diced up leftover ham.

Very simple to do, you must have a pressure canner. This can not be made safely in a water bath canner.

Put 3/4 cup dry beans (MAX...no more than 3/4 cup) in a quart jar, a layer of celery, a layer of carrots, a layer of diced ham....added a water/chicken broth mix and pressure canned for 90 minutes. Turned out great, made 10 quarts. Good on the shelf for a couple years.

Curious how you got 10 quarts out of one pound of beans. Your recipe said 3/4 cup dry beans into quart jar. Pound is 2 cups. You would need a lot more than a pound????

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Curious how you got 10 quarts out of one pound of beans. Your recipe said 3/4 cup dry beans into quart jar. Pound is 2 cups. You would need a lot more than a pound????

I don't know...it was a 16 oz (dry weight) bag of beans. Not sure what the dry weight of 3/4 cup was...didn't weigh it. Heck it may have been a 2lb bag...looking.... nope...16 oz. Damned good question...maybe she only used a 1/2 cup of beans....I'll have to find out. We got 10 jars of bean soup..

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here

Used a one pound bag (dry weight) of small navy beans, some celery, carrots, and diced up leftover ham.

Put 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry beans (MAX...no more than 3/4 cup) in a quart jar, a layer of celery, a layer of carrots, a layer of diced ham....added a water/chicken broth mix and pressure canned for 90 minutes. Turned out great, made 10 quarts. Good on the shelf for a couple years.

I canned 18 quarts of this the other day. Also canned 12 quarts of venison stew. Going to be good when it's cold outside.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    15 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes. I have canned venison meat many times the same way and it has lasted a few years.

We can pork, chicken, beef, and venison (when we can get it)...I know for 90 mins....we might be using 12 lbs of pressure...not too sure. I have always wondered about canning stew but never tried it. Was leery about doing meat and veggies at the same time but I guess if you go 90 mins everything ought to be fine. Just two of us I think I'd use pints.

Top Bottom