• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I've succumbed to being almost cashless. Knowing thats stupid I need to start tucking away some cash. Anybody else worry bout this??

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I still carry cash. Even have a pill bottle of quarters for toll booths. Keep a few bills stashed here and there "just in case". Lot's of situations where cash is king, still. Heck, I have NEVER seen a vending machine with a working card reader.

But, yes, folding money is on the "continuum of preparedness".

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Everyone in my family makes fun of me because I only use cash (except online). I mainly do business with small business's, and dont want them to get hit with all the extra fee's.

Once Christmas day, we went to a family Christmas, and everyone needed to fill up while in town (IE, couldnt make it to home, and back). We pulled in the station, and the CC reader was down due to a fiber cut. Of course I see this as a teaching opportunity, and started chanting "who is the moron now" proudly.

Then my step daughter said "you are, now you have to buy everyone's gas, or come pick us up when we cant make it home". My point was made, but I will admit, her comeback to my chanting was well timed.

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I think my question is why are you tucking it away? I doubt credit card machines would be down long enough for you to need some cash, and if they are we have bigger problems then cash tucked away can handle. I stick to silver and even then i think ammo trumps that. If its because the soda machine is down then yes by all means. But if its for the topic of survival and disaster then no amount of money is enough.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Always try to keep a good supply of bail money stashed at home. I also keep enough cash on me to pay to get me home at all cost. Ie. Cab ride, tow truck, plane ride..etc. It's a bit nerve racking walking around with cash, but I figured if I lose my cash I have bigger problems.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I keep some 20s in the wallet in case the restaurant's card machine (or my card) doesn't work.
    I keep some 20s in the vehicle in case the gas stations card machine (or my card) doesn't work.
    I keep $$ in the gun safe, you know, just in case I need to scram and don't want to leave a trail.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When money hits my bank, I take it out to pet and play with it as long as I can.
    I like to walk around town and pay all the local bills with cash. That also gets me out of the house to get some exercise. I also shop for food and supplies with my cash. Towards the end of the billing cycle I deposit the rest back into the bank so I can pay the last of my bills online.

You see.... I was married for 10 torturous years and that whole time I never once got to see or touch my money. :(

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I often carry cash and still use the debit card.

I like to have a few Benjamins stashed for stuff like CM is talking about. Somebody needs cash and has a good trade. Used to make a lot of deals in the bar or drive by a yard sale with a great deal on something needed.

A hundred in smaller bills also in case I need to throw some down to avoid the stupid. I have went around a non-moving convenient store line to drop exact change cash for my pump number. Same with a troublesome waiter that disappears when it's past time to drop the check.

A part of the idea of having cash in pocket is to have an out if the SHTF, everything is stopped and you need to be moving.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom