• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    He he, this should be good... ;)

I'm listening to the police scanner radio broadcast of a multi county vehicle chase that ended as they often do when rural. Suspect crashed and bailed out, into the woods. Of course, the various agencies involved already had a K-9 unit on the way.

Wonder what the possibilities of escape are if dogs are being used to pursue you in a WROL situation?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Simplest solution: move faster than the dogs can. A car, motorcycle, or sometimes even a bicycle can get it done.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Urban legend? I always heard gn powder or red peppers to mess up the dogs nose. Could just be internet lore though as I have never been tracked by a dawg. Maybe catch a raccoon and throw it up a tree?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Someone got away from just such a situation in Miami County only a couple or 3 weeks ago. They bailed from a vehicle after an accident, I never heard for sure if they picked him up eventually but surely they did.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Changing your clothes and shoes, then putting on strong deodorant all over your body and hair will give you a chance if the dog or dogs are not very experienced. Other than that nothing will.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    First humans are IMO easy to track and find.

1. Humans will take the path of least resistance unless fleeing in panic

2. Humans will normally move downhill

3. People leave tracks and sign

4. Untrained people will move in a right arc if right handed and a left arc if left handed, usually in a circle.

5. Humans need water every 12 hours or so.

Dogs have evolved over thousands of years to hunt with humans.

I spent my youth running the hills with hunting dogs.

1. What’s the weather ? Dog noses work better or worse depending on weather.

2. Terrain if urban you may have a better chance because of the scent getting obscured by other scents.

3. You don’t have much time dogs are one of the few animals that can keep up with a human over long distances

4. Water if you can travel in a creek for a long distance, think like a raccoon.

5. Your probably screwed!

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you have a head start you better keep moving. Endurance could also be on your side since K9s have a handler they have to drag with them as well. That handler is wearing 30ish pounds of equipment and may or may not be in great shape.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I would think that if someone wants to catch you so bad that they are using dogs that your time is about up no matter if you throw the dogs off your immediate course or not.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Best way to outsmart the dogs is via helicopter and rope ladder. Wouldn't that be a hoot to watch? Everybody standing around scratching their asterisks with the dog going nuts (since you would stand in one place with tons of odor piled right there and then *poof!*) !! :):

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A rifle, suppressor, and advantageous position of ambush.

You're not getting away. Presumably if you're in that situation, your life is on the line, so you might as well use the known vector of attack to set up and eliminate whoever is after you, or at least put enough holes in them to open up more time to escape. If that's not the situation for you, probably surrender. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Best way to outsmart the dogs is via helicopter and rope ladder. Wouldn't that be a hoot to watch? Everybody standing around scratching their asterisks with the dog going nuts (since you would stand in one place with tons of odor piled right there and then *poof!*) !! :):

Unless the helicopter is invisible, and super quiet, they don't really need the dogs at that point.

Top Bottom