• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had an epiphany earlier this year when I walked into a room full of outdoors stuff strewn about and figured it was time to cycle through some of this clutter like I would old cans of soup. This year in particular I've tried to take a big picture look at what I've got, what I'm capable of and what I need for the family/others. All of these things change over time and much like a backpacker on their first overnight trip carrying shovels and cast iron skillets I think a prepper tends to lighten their pack the farther they go along the trail. That lead me to really stop and wonder, what do I need and why.

For example, I started looking around and since I like sharp pointy things every so often I'd buy a new one and now I had a box full of pretty good knives, but only really ever used a small handful of them. It's got me wondering what safety nets do I really need to have in place, and what's the test to measure if I've got that covered or not.

I enjoy watching ultralight through hikers and bushcrafters on youtube and seasons of Alone on TV and it makes me think. The ultralight hikers don't carry big ole knives and largely depend on people to be good to one another on the trail which largely happens. The bushcrafters do a pretty good job of little projects and knowing plants, but honestly I don't think I'm going to have to carve spoons or blacksmith a knife after some SHTF event. The episodes of Alone seem to be the most beneficial reality check I see for what I like learn. People go out for months in a contest that ultimately leads to a self induced starvation contest and some do very fine with a mora knife and others tap out the first week with all kinds of fancy gear.

Largely I've gotten quiet in the prepping world because so much of the conversation tends to revolve around gear and anymore I want less of it.

To answer my own question I'm starting to value experiences and training classes more than any pile of whatever I've got stashed away in a closet somewhere. Last time a nasty storm hit we had the kids in the basement and I sat there listening to weather stations, had plenty of backpacking water filtering devices, and some food on hand that I knew we were fine.

I'm questioning everything I've generally accepted over the years about prepping and now I'm trying to see what mindset others have.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I feel like I have a decent handle on my emergency preps, if I can hunker down in place. In the last couple of years, I've tried streamlining my gear and supplies towards making the bare essentials more mobile in case I'd have to scoot out.I have found that this approach has shown me what was truly needed and what was dead weight.
    For instance, 20# propane tanks are great for a bug in, but an adapter to fill the green camping tanks for mobility is far easier for bugging out.
    Food preps in old milk crates are easier to carry and stack in the vehicle than a giant Rubbermaid tote.
    Little things such as this have been my new priority and I like hearing other like-minded peoples ideas as well.
    This whole prepping thing has been an ever evolving task since the first time I started rat holing crappy canned goods I'd never eat unless absolutely necessary. My game has came a long way since then and it's still nowhere near perfect.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I agree with you on experience and training. Although I also sleep better at night knowing that I have the basic infrastructure and gear that I have too.

We've always liked to car camp over the years, but for the past several years my son and I have been making several multi-night back packing trips each season, along with some other more bush-crafty camping trips both summer and winter when we can. This spring we had a great time in HNF sitting under a tarp in a chilly rain, cooking bacon, deer steaks, and bannock bread (made with real beef tallow that my son had rendered out and canned). Even if there wasn't the prepping value, it's great quality time with my son, and along the way, I've learned full well what it would take if I had to pack up and walk any distance and stealth-camp along the way. I know how far I can walk in a day, depending on pack load and terrain, how much food I would need, how much water to carry, with empty bottles to filter more into, and how to use a compass to keep from getting (too) lost. Also little things like how to set up camp in the rain so that all my stuff in the pack doesn't get wet, what kind of clothes will keep me warm if they do get wet, and be able to keep me warm while also not filling all the space in my pack and not weighing me down. My pack-load today is a little more than half of what it was on my first trip. Part of that is good (expensive) gear, but part of it is also knowing what I really don't need.

Not sure if any of those skills will ever save my life, but they might, and I've had some wonderful times learning them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I definitely value knowledge, skills, and planning over stuff, but it's good to have both. It's easier to focus less on stuff when you don't have the space to store much, though!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Water is the key to everything.
    This.

Clean air, water and soil. I technically have some of the cleanest water and air in the country.

Solar gain, and knowing how to use it.

Indigenous plants.

Multipurpose tools and equipment.

PVC, Pex line, 2x4S, black pipe, all kinds of tape, caulk, tarps, enclosed trailers. Other materials, purchased or scavenged.

The ability to improvise, adapt, fabricate, fix things. Keeping things simple and standardized. Otherwise it is a 120-250 mile round trip for parts or special purpose items.

Auctions: I buy quality stuff, like various hand tools for pennies on the dollar. Other things I buy I make money off of.

I live differently from most people, but there are some who live closer to the edge then I do.

Hot water is essential. My tankless propane water heaters, propane, and spare parts.

Backup heaters and alternate heat sources.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This.

Clean air, water and soil. I technically have some of the cleanest water and air in the country.

Indigenous plants.

PVC, Pex line, 2x4S, black pipe, all kinds of tape, caulk, tarps, enclosed trailers. Other materials, purchased or scavenged.

The ability to improvise, adapt, fabricate, fix things. Keeping things simple and standardized. Otherwise it is a 120-250 mile round trip for parts or special purpose items.

Auctions: I buy quality stuff, like various hand tools for pennies on the dollar. Other things I buy I make money off of.

I live differently from most people, but there are some who live closer to the edge then I do.

Hot water is essential. My tankless propane water heaters, propane, and spare parts.

Water is the key to everything. Without it nothing else matters.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Around the Turn of Century(1999-2000), I was a believer in the Y2K. Stocked up on big packs, filled with tools, survivlal gear, food, ammo in loaded mags. I also was younger, strong back, and heavy wasn't an issue.

Well, that's changed now due to reaching silver days of age. I have since bought a small haversack, cut back to bushcraft minimum gear and my back can handle a hike, on good days.

Most important would be 5C's, without the kitchen sink. Cover, combustion, cordage, cutting, cup. My go to blade is a Mora, wrapped sheath in para 550. Cover is a poncho(USGI model), combustion is Bic lighter, ferro rod, cotton balls w/ vaseline tinder in a pillbox, cup is USGI Stainless Steel. (Ferro Rod has small compass, but a map is handy too). Army canteen on a web belt lightens weight. (have plastic and retro WW2 style. WW2 is aluminum not stainless though) Need better compass!

Water is my first concern. Have some drop in tabs, a small bottle of them, and foil packed. A space blanket(silver backed), and a trash bag(heavy lawn n leaf model). My pocket carries a small Buck 373 folder, wallet w/ cash, keys, handkerchief, cellphone.

Usually carry a CCW, S&W 442 with couple snake shot/ JHP, spare couple speedloaders with JHP. Airweight model, either IWB, or in pocket holster.

So water is #1, prepared light gear#2, pocket stuff#3, message to Wifey on return ETA#4.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Where the heck have you been, ya ol' grouch? Welcome back!

This.

Indigenous plants.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My most valuable item is my first aid kit. While a little heavy to carry too far my FAK is my nurse (wife) who is mobile and the first thing I would grab.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The prep I value most is the ability to produce and store potable water.

Water is the key to everything. Without it nothing else matters.

Two truths ! :yesway:
    All of this. Multiple ways are essential.
    Next most valuable - skills stored in the head, from making maple syrup to eating acorns to medicinal roots to spring woods greens to what NOT to use.
    Literally most valuable (as in most expensive and potentially very useful) - thermal scope.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Water, sharp edges and fire. This is the way it has been since the beginning and the way it will be until the end.

What form the sharp edges and fire take are just a matter of technology.

Knowledge is great and necessity is a wonderful provider of motivation for invention.

That being said, age causes a lot of change in attitude and ability. The older I get the more likely I am to be in hunker-down and come-and-get-me mode than when I was confident in my abilities to "bug out" 25 years ago. Food stores have become more important.

For you young guys, when you are walking across the post-apocalyptic wasteland, just beware of the crazy old coots. They managed to survive despite being out of their prime because they'll probably end up eating you.

Sharp implements and the ability to make fire.
    Our fire will be on a Coleman stove (multiples) until the propane stash is depleted and then to the fire pit. There will be fire. And water.

We are in the same place. Bunker down and stand our ground. Way to long in the tooth to bug out unless we absolutely have to.
    Don’t mess with us old guys. No patience with stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A cutting edge is the basic tool for survival. Beyond that, everything matters. Water, shelter, weapons, ammo, food...why choose? Chose them all. Anything you lack will point itself out most poignantly.

Top Bottom