• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Referencing the big ammo shortage from a couple years ago. Has your ammo program changed or have you modified the way you approach it?
    I have consolidated calibers from a ****load down to 4. I've also changed the how, way and where I store it to boot.
    It now goes into 100 round, sealed a ammo trays with a moisture absorber in quantities of 500. I pay more attention to the temp and humidity it's stored in and I no longer keep it all in the same place.
    I'm sure to many of you, this kinda stuff is a "no-brainer", but for me, it's been a hard lesson learned.
    Not looking to start a " who has the most ammo" thread, because I'd lose. Just hoping to see if there's more I'm overlooking.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    It's always been buy one box every week along with the groceries, pay all the bills that were budgeted from that check, then do something fun with the family. If there's money left over, buy another box then put the remaining money into savings. This is how I've been doing it for the last 20 years. Now during the "Obama Ammo Scare", if the caliber I wanted/needed wasn't in stock, the money was set aside until it was in stock.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Of my gun-related funds, I used to spend roughly 50% on additional guns, 25% on accessories (holsters, magazines, optics, etc.) and 25% on ammo.

Now it's more like 50% on ammo and components, 25% on accessories and training, and 25% on additional firearms. Moving forward, that amount toward new firearms is almost certain to drop even more as training becomes a bigger priority.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have consolidated calibers as well.

But as far as storage goes - with modern high quality ammunition (Which is essentially anything manufactured in the USA, Mexico, as well as various Euro-made stuff like S&B) - going to such great and expensive lengths for moisture control is just doing more work than really needs to be done. Unless, of course, you can't store your ammo indoors.

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    Storage wise, the tried and true military ammo can in good condition is hard to beat. I have ammo that was stored for a decade with nothing in the can to absorb moisture. This ammo shot without any problems. As long as the ammo can isn't completely submerged in deep water for a long period of time, I would say you should be good to go. I agree on minimizing number of calibers.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Of my gun-related funds, I used to spend roughly 50% on additional guns, 25% on accessories (holsters, magazines, optics, etc.) and 25% on ammo.

Now it's more like 50% on ammo and components, 25% on accessories and training, and 25% on additional firearms. Moving forward, that amount toward new firearms is almost certain to drop even more as training becomes a bigger priority.

My logic is more along these lines. Almost 0% toward new purchases, training when the overall package is a good value, any available funds go to ammo. My total $ is a lot less than most on ingo also, so there's that. :-)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only change I have made is I try to buy a little extra ammo and store it away in the basement.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I learned how to make dados with my router so I could build shelving out of 2x12s.

A 1/2 inch deep notch on each side, 3 shelves, 3 feet high, 3 feet wide, 1/4 inch MDF as a backer board glued and screwed to hold things square.

Leave the ends a little long so they stick up higher than the top shelf.

Suitable for case quantity storage, lots of cases...maybe build a couple.

Just guessing, you might be able to put 5, 10, 15K rounds or more on one.

That's all I have to say about that. :shady:

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I got super lucky last time with 22lr, during the last shortage. Luckily a friend of a friend unloaded a ridiculous amount for very cheap.

Nowadays, I browse reddit to bulk purchase Ammo when it’s on sales.

I’ve settled down on 9mm, 556, 762x39, 12 and 22lr

I figure these are the most popular and cheapest options to keep enough around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I sold everything and started over. Everything is a system now and works together in only a few calibers. I also sold off all hand loading gear and went with a progressive press. I load as budget and time allows. Store ammo in military cans.

It's so nice and should have done it years ago.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I know I go overboard but I pack in vacuum seal and store in ammo cans.
    as much as I would like to consolidate calibers I can’t give up some of the odd stuff. I do hand load but I don’t do much of it except for cowboy action ammo.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Previously just kept a few boxes of .22 and 12ga around for mostly plinking and occasional skeet shooting.
    During and since the shortage I expanded to 5 calibers, I buy in bulk on sale and always store in solid ammo cans w desiccant.
    I haven’t been buying 9, 5.56 and 7.62x39 for 20+ years so I don’t have a historical reference on what pricing used to be but I do know that I can get a lot more for my money now than I could a few years ago.

Top Bottom