• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Rotated new gas (with stabilizer) with last years gas.

Old gas to be used in the snow thrower this winter, the lawnmower and tiller next summer, make a couple of gallons of 50:1 mix and whatever is left over gets mixed into a partial tank of fresh gas in the car next year.

Fresh gas on the shelf, check.
    Gas for snow this winter, check.
    Gas for next summer, check.
    A little extra fuel for the car this winter if it becomes necessary, check.
    Waiting to come home to a disaster because of my obsessive fuel storage and rotation scheme, check.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rotated new gas (with stabilizer) with last years gas.

Old gas to be used in the snow thrower this winter, the lawnmower and tiller next summer, make a couple of gallons of 50:1 mix and whatever is left over gets mixed into a partial tank of fresh gas in the car next year.

Fresh gas on the shelf, check.
    Gas for snow this winter, check.
    Gas for next summer, check.
    A little extra fuel for the car this winter if it becomes necessary, check.
    Waiting to come home to a disaster because of my obsessive fuel storage and rotation scheme, check.

This needs to be done here. And cycle the genny's.
    Thanks for putting this out here.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Back to working on the new to me homestead finally. Moving more food and water over there. Added 2k rounds of ammo. Put in 5 gallons of gas and five gallons of K1. Taking a burner over there today.

Most importantly I worked outside because it was probably one of the last light jacket days for a while.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Added air to my tires to make sure they were at spec pressure when sitting in the garage at the current temps.
    Applied for more jobs.
    Found my old walking stick and brought it out of retirement.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have also rotated fuels, i buy ethanol free for all generators, mowers,snowblower,and the 2 cycles, it keeps better and find i do not need to add any stabilizer. had empty propanes filled up as our generators run on gas or propane, rotating canned goods again finding older dates that need used up, added 2 more water barrels to basement also. made anew storage bin for potatoes. now i need a bigger basement !!!!!!!!

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have also rotated fuels, i buy ethanol free for all generators, mowers,snowblower,and the 2 cycles, it keeps better and find i do not need to add any stabilizer. had empty propanes filled up as our generators run on gas or propane, rotating canned goods again finding older dates that need used up, added 2 more water barrels to basement also. made anew storage bin for potatoes. now i need a bigger basement !!!!!!!!

I've been looking at my canned goods as well.

I got a lazy a couple of years ago and didn't keep up on my rotation as well as I should have.

From what I have read, rule of thumb for canned goods is not dented, bulged or rusty and the contents are still good. BUT, 5 years after the use-by date and the nutritional content has practically gone to nothing.

So, just toss it if it is 5 years out of date?

I think I'll start a new thread for my specific question.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I've been looking at my canned goods as well.

I got a lazy a couple of years ago and didn't keep up on my rotation as well as I should have.

From what I have read, rule of thumb for canned goods is not dented, bulged or rusty and the contents are still good. BUT, 5 years after the use-by date and the nutritional content has practically gone to nothing.

So, just toss it if it is 5 years out of date?

I think I'll start a new thread for my specific question.

I have eaten canned goods past that date. Even if you feel the nutritional value is down use them for filler.

My problem is that the doc told me to cut down on sodium and most of the canned goods have a lot in them. Need to come up with a better plan as far as having food in a rotation. I am too lazy to start canning my own stuff, but maybe I will look into that again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have eaten canned goods past that date. Even if you feel the nutritional value is down use them for filler.

My problem is that the doc told me to cut down on sodium and most of the canned goods have a lot in them. Need to come up with a better plan as far as having food in a rotation. I am too lazy to start canning my own stuff, but maybe I will look into that again.

It takes a serious effort and some gear to can at any real level. My SIL does it and has the time and equipment so she makes our pickles and cans maters for us from our garden. She gets to keep a nice portion for her efforts.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Been checking bulk oatmeal prices. Laid up 2 more pounds of powder. Practiced with bow and upped my exercise regiment.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    It takes a serious effort and some gear to can at any real level. My SIL does it and has the time and equipment so she makes our pickles and cans maters for us from our garden. She gets to keep a nice portion for her efforts.

Exactly what I was talking about. Worth it in the long run, but as a lazy person I can't see jumping into it right now. Maybe when I get caught up on all my projects (which will never happen).

Even the canned goods with low sodium are off the charts now for me.

We plan to put another garden in when we finally get to the new place, but honestly it will just be a hobby.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have tried canned goods far past their best-by date and didn't notice any real difference.

One time I was eating some chicken noodle soup and it dawned on me that there must be some kind of magic in the noodles because how could noodles sit in liquid for 7, 8, or 9 years and not dissolve into mush?

I try not to think about that too much.

I also have a 20lb propane tank out in the car right now that is going to get filled right after work and I picked up a couple thousand more primers at the gun show last weekend.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a very productive range trip. I got to work with a buddy on long range stuff, working with weird shooting positions, put time constraints on and made things weird. Worked on spotting for one another and calling out targets for each other as a team. He spotted for me on my 16" BCM middy with iron sights and set it up to use the dial on the removable carry hand to be set for the distances marked on it. I'd never used the dial on the rear sight and had always held, but was more than pleasantly surprised to hear the ping of bullets on steel at 200, 300, 400, and 600 yards using iron sights, mil surp 193 55gr fmj, and a non free floated barrel. It's my keep it simple rifle so far, we're quickly falling in love.

I still haven't gotten the snow blower out and tuned up yet, shame on me.

I planted close to 200 perennial bulbs in the backyard along a tree line. Planting anything from a tree, a vegetable, a flower that comes back year after year restores something in my soul and I love it. If the S ever HTF, I'll be able to see some colorful beautiful flowers around me ever once in a while.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Meijers currently has their annual canned veggie sale for 45 cents. This includes both full and low/no salt versions. I generally go for low/no salt products and add as desired since I prefer non-refined salt.

I have tried canned goods far past their best-by date and didn't notice any real difference.

One time I was eating some chicken noodle soup and it dawned on me that there must be some kind of magic in the noodles because how could noodles sit in liquid for 7, 8, or 9 years and not dissolve into mush?

Simple answer: sterile environment. Honey is naturally antibacterial which is a large part of why it can last virtually forever without special preservation techniques.

Top Bottom