Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-just-Karl View Post
    Several years ago during a serious growth phase of my food storage I put back all kinds of stuff. Some of it makes me wonder what kind of sugar buzz I expected to maintain. Pie filling, lots of canned fruit. I had plenty of vegetables, meats and other assorted things and wanted more variety. How many movies showed people willing to sell their soul for a can of peaches?

Peanut butter an Ramen party?

Chow Mein noodles and butterscotch chips?

I must have been planning on being the dessert king of the post apocalyptic world.
    Calorie dense foods. Just not much else other than that.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

It's got about twice as many carbs per tablespoon as sweetened coffee creamer, but it's much thicker. I would try using half as much in coffee and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 04FXSTS View Post
    If God created anything better than dogs and S&W revolvers he kept it for his self.

User Info Menu

My canned item reassessment is long overdue.

I haven't found them yet, but I'm pretty certain I have some stuff from 2007 somewhere. The last time I went through my canned stuff I know I saved some because it was only 7 years past the use-by date. I know it isn't Y2K left over stock, but I think I would have to be pretty hungry to eat something 12 years canned.

My goal has been to have a 30 day food supply and I have found it pretty difficult to maintain. Figuring 1200-1600 calories per person per day. Two weeks of good stuff and two more of "It's better than tree bark and grass clippings".

Since I mentioned it before, a couple spoonfuls of pie filling in oatmeal really does wonders. 30 days of plain oatmeal would probably drive me to be willing to try tree bark.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

I use it in homemade granola bars.

User Info Menu

Do you have a cappuccino machine?
    Instead of frothing milk, use sweetened condensed milk with a splash of milk. If you're adventurous use chocolate milk.
    Buddy of mine showed me that years ago
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Key Lime Pie. You can also use a Key Lime based Margarita mix as a substitute for squeezing Key Limes...or any lime juice for that matter.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

Expert

User Info Menu

So one has to ask and please don't take this the wrong way but.

Why stock up on something you don't normally eat and have no real idea on what to use it for?

I get it that it is high in calories but if you don't want to consume it what is the point?

Candy is high in calories and probably more likely to be consumed before the condensed milk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobjones223 View Post
    So one has to ask and please don't take this the wrong way but.

Why stock up on something you don't normally eat and have no real idea on what to use it for?

I get it that it is high in calories but if you don't want to consume it what is the point?

Candy is high in calories and probably more likely to be consumed before the condensed milk.
    Long term storage ability. High caloric content in a SHTF scenario might be life saving. If you can open a can.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

When I was real young when visiting my Gra-ma, she would always have an open can of condensed milk around from baking yummys. Once a can was open, I couldn't stop sneaking spoonfuls from the fridge. Sometimes too much because she'd notice.

As a grown up I have acquired a taste for honey on any pasta meals. Mainly my Mac-n-Cheese. If I'm out of honey then I use chocolate syrup. If I'm out of chocolate syrup then I use condensed milk.
    Once a can is open, I've noticed my kids now are sneaking spoonfuls from the fridge.

OK, OK. FINE.....
    IT'S ME!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    When I was real young when visiting my Gra-ma, she would always have an open can of condensed milk around from baking yummys. Once a can was open, I couldn't stop sneaking spoonfuls from the fridge. Sometimes too much because she'd notice.

As a grown up I have acquired a taste for honey on any pasta meals. Mainly my Mac-n-Cheese. If I'm out of honey then I use chocolate syrup. If I'm out of chocolate syrup then I use condensed milk.
    Once a can is open, I've noticed my kids now are sneaking spoonfuls from the fridge.

OK, OK. FINE.....
    IT'S ME!
    Wait wait wait, hold up! Are you saying you put chocolate syrup on mac-n-cheese?!

sauce will thicken upon standing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast