Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Uses for sweetened condensed milk?

After learning that sweetened condensed milk was used as a ration during the Civil War, I started adding it to my larder due to its caloric density.

I have been sitting on a bunch of it for several years now. I don't use it very often in my daily cooking. I would like to find some uses for it besides making frosting so it isn't just thrown out and I could feel better about getting some fresh replacements.

I'll start with one I like:

Drizzled over oatmeal with some cinnamon.

Also, has anyone tried peanut butter and powdered milk? I read about some doctors in Africa using this for malnourished children. A little Google-Fu looks like Americans use it as a fun-to-make dessert. I've bought the stuff but haven't tried it yet.

User Info Menu

I use a bit of it when I make gravy for biscuits and gravy. Adds a bit of sweetness to the gravy which is then offset by the fresh cracked pepper I use.

User Info Menu

Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.kaufman View Post
    I use a bit of it when I make gravy for biscuits and gravy. Adds a bit of sweetness to the gravy which is then offset by the fresh cracked pepper I use.
    Is this close to using cream...????? Spouse is still asleep so I will share my total lack of knowledge on this for all to see.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Is this close to using cream...????? Spouse is still asleep so I will share my total lack of knowledge on this for all to see.
    Not really. I only use about a 1/3 cup for a small batch. More to add a bit of sweetness than anything

User Info Menu

That looks interesting. No surprise that it makes a lot and there are a LOT of calories. I might try this Saturday after range-time. Several of the reviewers suggested altering the recipe with milk. Hmmm, might have to try that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Warning, Cream is NOT the same thing. Think of it more like someone having cooked milk down and thickened it up and then added sugar to it until the sugar stopped dissolving, lots of sugar.

I've never heard of adding condensed milk to gravy, but I didn't come from a family of cooks. Almost everything we had growing up came out of a box or a can. I know the difference now, but I count my blessings that it makes transitioning to survival food a lot easier.

User Info Menu

Punkin pie.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Boil a sealed can of it for dulce de leche.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    Boil a sealed can of it for dulce de leche.
    This. Also can be used as coffee creamer if you like your coffee sweet. I would also probably make hot chocolate by heating up half water, half sweetened condensed milk (might need to adjust that ratio) and adding some unsweetened cocoa powder (maybe a teaspoon or two?).

Last edited by Snapdragon; 4 Days Ago at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by 04FXSTS View Post
    If God created anything better than dogs and S&W revolvers he kept it for his self.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast