• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    After learning that sweetened condensed milk was used as a ration during the Civil War, I started adding it to my larder due to its caloric density.

I have been sitting on a bunch of it for several years now. I don't use it very often in my daily cooking. I would like to find some uses for it besides making frosting so it isn't just thrown out and I could feel better about getting some fresh replacements.

I'll start with one I like:

Drizzled over oatmeal with some cinnamon.

Also, has anyone tried peanut butter and powdered milk? I read about some doctors in Africa using this for malnourished children. A little Google-Fu looks like Americans use it as a fun-to-make dessert. I've bought the stuff but haven't tried it yet.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use a bit of it when I make gravy for biscuits and gravy. Adds a bit of sweetness to the gravy which is then offset by the fresh cracked pepper I use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I use a bit of it when I make gravy for biscuits and gravy. Adds a bit of sweetness to the gravy which is then offset by the fresh cracked pepper I use.

Is this close to using cream...…????? Spouse is still asleep so I will share my total lack of knowledge on this for all to see.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Is this close to using cream...…????? Spouse is still asleep so I will share my total lack of knowledge on this for all to see.

Not really. I only use about a 1/3 cup for a small batch. More to add a bit of sweetness than anything

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

That looks interesting. No surprise that it makes a lot and there are a LOT of calories. I might try this Saturday after range-time. Several of the reviewers suggested altering the recipe with milk. Hmmm, might have to try that as well.

Warning, Cream is NOT the same thing. Think of it more like someone having cooked milk down and thickened it up and then added sugar to it until the sugar stopped dissolving, lots of sugar.

I've never heard of adding condensed milk to gravy, but I didn't come from a family of cooks. Almost everything we had growing up came out of a box or a can. I know the difference now, but I count my blessings that it makes transitioning to survival food a lot easier.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Boil a sealed can of it for dulce de leche.

This. Also can be used as coffee creamer if you like your coffee sweet. I would also probably make hot chocolate by heating up half water, half sweetened condensed milk (might need to adjust that ratio) and adding some unsweetened cocoa powder (maybe a teaspoon or two?).

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That looks interesting. No surprise that it makes a lot and there are a LOT of calories. I might try this Saturday after range-time. Several of the reviewers suggested altering the recipe with milk. Hmmm, might have to try that as well.

Warning, Cream is NOT the same thing. Think of it more like someone having cooked milk down and thickened it up and then added sugar to it until the sugar stopped dissolving, lots of sugar.

I've never heard of adding condensed milk to gravy, but I didn't come from a family of cooks. Almost everything we had growing up came out of a box or a can. I know the difference now, but I count my blessings that it makes transitioning to survival food a lot easier.

OK. This may not fit in well with my diet then. Low sugar.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wife uses it a lot in baking, I put it in coffee when there a left over open can. I look at it like corned beef hash, a good item for the food storage program that you eat with regularity.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Several years ago during a serious growth phase of my food storage I put back all kinds of stuff. Some of it makes me wonder what kind of sugar buzz I expected to maintain. Pie filling, lots of canned fruit. I had plenty of vegetables, meats and other assorted things and wanted more variety. How many movies showed people willing to sell their soul for a can of peaches?

Peanut butter an Ramen party?

Chow Mein noodles and butterscotch chips?

I must have been planning on being the dessert king of the post apocalyptic world.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I had a foreign exchange daughter from Bolivia. She used to dip cheddar cheese Pringles in sweetened condensed milk.

I never tried it, so don't count this as a recommendation, but it is a potential use.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Carlota!

Blend a 14oz can of Sweetened condensed milk with a 12oz can of evaporated milk and the juice from a few lemons (or any other flavoring you desire). Place a layer of lemon cookies in the bottom of a dish, pour half the liquid, and repeat. Freeze, slice and enjoy!

Top Bottom