• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So my next purchase is gonna be some body armor and Iv looked on both sites and maybe besides pricing for individual plates and the fact that Spartan has a multi hit plates I would like to know if there is any difference between the two brands, any help much appreciated thanks

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What plates are you looking at? AR500 has quite a few different makes and models. Shy away from the actual AR500 steel plates as they are entirely too heavy.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Not the steel target plates, I was wanting to get the level IV ceramic,
    I'm not sure about the Ceramic but AR500 supplies the steel plates to Spartan. Ceramic plates are also more fragile. Drop one or let it fall too far and the Ceramic will break making it useless. The only way to make sure the Ceramic is still intact is have it checked with an x-ray. I have access to an x-ray but I really wouldn't know what I was looking for when it comes to plates.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have ar500 plates and they are super heavy. If you do end up going with them make sure you get the anti Spalling option.

Ar500 Steel are about 20 lbs in a plate carrier, ar500 ceramic are about 17 ... Not enough to make a difference, in my book. I have steel plates in my carrier by my treadmill for runs they should be named the punishers, cause it sucks.

Weight is a killer. Get the lightest that you can afford. Hesco are about 9 in a carrier. That's like wearing a jacket.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Ar500 Steel are about 20 lbs in a plate carrier, ar500 ceramic are about 17 ... Not enough to make a difference, in my book. I have steel plates in my carrier by my treadmill for runs they should be named the punishers, cause it sucks.

Weight is a killer. Get the lightest that you can afford. Hesco are about 9 in a carrier. That's like wearing a jacket.

Not to thread jack but that is a brilliant idea. The plate carrier as added weight is a great additional reason to justify its purchase. If I had a place in my house for a treadmill I would love to have one. I sold mine due to a lack of space years ago. My lungs don't do cold weather exercise without fighting issues for a week afterwards.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    There is a Youtube video of a guy making body armor out of fiberglass. Just search fiberglass body armor.
    I was more curious to see how well the coating stops spalling. I bought the plates I wanted (11x14 III+ w/build up coating) and a black carrier for one of my side jobs. As we all know, black blends in with nothing in nature but the company said it had to be black so that's what I bought. Several months later I caught one of AR500's sales, buy a carrier get a free set of plates (10x12 base coat). I really didn't need another set of plates so I just bought the carrier in the color I wanted and figured I'd just set the plates aside. Now I'm wishing I would of paid the extra to upgrade the plates to 11X14 with the build up coating. I can't do anything about the size but there's gotta be something that will help catch the spalling. For now I have some of my old soft III armor stuffed in the carrier in front of the plates and trauma pad behind the plates.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I was more curious to see how well the coating stops spalling. I bought the plates I wanted (11x14 III+ w/build up coating) and a black carrier for one of my side jobs. As we all know, black blends in with nothing in nature but the company said it had to be black so that's what I bought. Several months later I caught one of AR500's sales, buy a carrier get a free set of plates (10x12 base coat). I really didn't need another set of plates so I just bought the carrier in the color I wanted and figured I'd just set the plates aside. Now I'm wishing I would of paid the extra to upgrade the plates to 11X14 with the build up coating. I can't do anything about the size but there's gotta be something that will help catch the spalling. For now I have some of my old soft III armor stuffed in the carrier in front of the plates and trauma pad behind the plates.

i was using that as a reference on how to wrap the plates for an anti-spalling layer.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    There is a Youtube video of a guy making body armor out of fiberglass. Just search fiberglass body armor.

there was also a guy on YouTube telling people that you can make ceramic body armor by gluing kitchen tile together.

i wouldn’t trust my life on YouTube personalities

sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    The Swimmer cut plates from Spartan are pretty comfortable. As had already been said, I would hate to find out my ceramic plates were cracked the hard way. Steel is worth the weight. Of course the light weight options are great if you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The set of steel plates I got just sit on a shelf. They are heavy for sure. My plan for them now is to put them in a carrier and have them for back up in the shelter at the new place.

Top Bottom