• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As I posted in the other thread.. Line 1, Line 2 and Line 3 gear was for another thread... and this is it. Here's a breakdown of what Line is meant for what and what should be included.

Line 1- The bare essentials
    Line 1 is simply the bare minimum to keep yourself alive until you:
    1. make it to your destination
    2. make it to more gear
    3. die
    The idea is to keep the first two options a reality and the third nonexistent. Normally, you carry your line 1 gear everyday whether you realize it or not. It generally consists of the following items:
    • Keys
    • Wallet
    • Cell Phone
    • Pocket Knife
    • Sidearm/extra ammunition
    • Fire making device (lighter/matches)
    Some people choose to carry a bag with them everywhere they go. Whereas this might not be as practical for some, this might be a wise choice for people who tend to be forgetful and leave things at home, like myself.

Line 2- Fighting Gear
    Line 2 gear is meant for combat and keeping yourself protected. This would generally consist of the following items:
    • Rifle
    • Rifle Ammunition
    • First Aid Kit
    • Fighting Knife
    • Communication
    • Extraneous Ordinance
    The amount of which you carry will be situation/mission dictated. In order to determine the needs of your line 2 and how much can be stored, you will need to determine:
    • What kind of resistance should/would be expected
    • which routes of travel, if any, will be expected to be taken and what population inhabits the area
    • What type of role are you looking to fulfill?
    Line 3- Long Term Sustainment
    Line 3 is generally your BOB or whatever means you have to sustain yourself for more than 72 hours and beyond. This could be anything from a simple storage box to an entire Bug Out Locatio (BOL) for semi-annual living. The sky is the limit here, but keep in mind, you have to fit the bill for it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RainRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for the info , I usually carry all of the gear in my vehicle , the Line 1 stuff I mean. Problem is what if things go down when I am away from town and my vehicle.

Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Great info. The preparedness project is so overwhelming to most people that they don't know where to begin. General guidelines and checklists are a great help. Thanks.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Line 1- The bare essentials

Line 1 is simply the bare minimum to keep yourself alive until you:
    1. make it to your destination
    2. make it to more gear
    3. die

You'll never know when you get to Number 3. Even if you do, it ain't gonna have any effect on your future (or lack thereof) , so I would not include it on my list.;)

P.S.
    I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
    Woody Allen

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For me line 1 is on me, if I drop or lose everything else, line 1 is still with me. I can go well over 72 hours due to fact line simply gives me the tools I need, brain carries the skills and all have been tested and used.

It all revolves around the rules of 3.

Line 1 is in pouches that can go in pockets, on a belt or on straps/lanyards. All of that is in a small "pouch" that can be grabbed and attached to a pack. I use the Kifaru Claymore pouch. Once the line 1 gear comes out, it is mostly empty and can be used as an access pouch to hold gloves, hats, binos and other gear or things I find along the way, like tinder. Some line 2 stuff is already in it.

Anything that comes out of it generally can be clipped, lashed or attached to my person. Paracord, dummy cords, etc...

This claymore pouch attaches to my line 2 gear, a day pack of my choice but can be tucked into a larger pack if the trip is longer. I can pick it up, walk with it, start putting things on me and soon it is empty. I use it hunting, on day trips in National parks, you name it, if I am on foot it is in use. I even use it on vacations, use it and you know it. Don't and you won't.

For me for me Line 2, and 3 also revolve around rules of 3 or E&E. All equal the same thing, get to a destination, civillization or a vehicle/base camp.

Reality is on my body, then line 1 on me as well, line 2 in a pack. The rest is gravy.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Marion County Emergency Management says you need to have supplies to last you and your family for 72 hours minimum. In the case of disaster, it'll take at least that long to get to you. It goes without saying here that we should all take a look at what exactly 72 hours worth of supplies would entail.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Very good info!!!! As for 72 hours worth of supplies.....

Lots of beef jerky and wiskey, wiskey serves multiple uses belive it or not. :D

Top Bottom