• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I am wanting experiment/ learn to grow more veggies this year. So far I know I want tomatoes, carrots, onions and oats. Yes, oats. Won’t do much, but want to start now.

Would also like like to try wheat. Maybe in the fall

just searching reveals many options for buying, but wondering what the INGO collective suggests.

PS tomatoes are mainly for sauce.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Johnny select seed is good. Not sure on how much land you have or growing zone but I would suggest looking into something called permaculture. It is permanent agriculture. It's planting perennial food crops that you plant once and harvest for 30+ years. Like asparagus, sea kale, fruit trees, nut trees ect.... You still do a annual garden but this gives you crop producing goods every year with no to little work.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Even most of the big seed companies sell some non hybrid seeds. You just have to pay attention.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As an experiment I tried just planting various beans bought in plastic bags from Walmart. The germination rates were very high and I kept beans from these plants to replant the next year and got the same results. The black beans performed very well, we had a few meals from them, but it's a lot easier just to buy a bag and cook them.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

LodeStone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Beech Grove
    https://migardener.com/ and https://www.therustedgarden.com/ are both good sources for seeds and info. Both have youtube channels with a ton of info. I'm only growing in containers right now but had better luck last year than I ever have due in large part to these channels, along with a few others. The Rusted Garden has a seed starting series that is super helpful, especially if you're new to trying to grow your own stuff.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Baker Creek Hierloom Seed company, I have used their tomato seeds. They produced very well.

Saw the thread title and stopped in to mention Baker Creek.

Here's their website: https://www.rareseeds.com/

Nice place to visit if you happen to be out that way. The cinnamon buns are a MUST try.

OP - I'm pretty sure there's another heirloom seed thread around here somewhere; if you search for "Baker Creek", you'll likely find it, as I posted about them in there as well.

Top Bottom