FEMA says prepare for TEN days in case of disaster.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I couldn't find this info with quick-searching the forums, so sharing here in case it is helpful.
    I always thought they recommended a 72-hour emergency kit/supply for disasters.

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4339/emergency-preparedness

[FONT=&amp]"First responders cannot always reach disaster survivors quickly, so it is important to be able to take care of injured or disabled family members until help arrives. Citizens can help by learning first aid or volunteering with other local organizations.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Everyone should have an emergency kit with enough supplies to survive for 10 days, including water, non-perishable food, non-electric can openers, flashlights, batteries, cash and important family documents. Children also should be allowed to include favorite small toys or games.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Children should be encouraged to participate in any family emergency planning. Teach kids how to communicate during an emergency, including how to dial 9-1-1 or send text messages. Practicing a plan also helps children know what to do during a disaster.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Budget concerns can keep families from buying all the items necessary for an emergency kit. However, it is not essential to make all the purchases at once. Families are encouraged to spread out the purchase of supplies and make use of coupons and discounts. Buying used radios and flashlights also can be more affordable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]An emergency plan should also include ensuring those with disabilities or special needs have a proper evacuation plan. Plan transportation needs ahead of time and make sure those with medical needs have backup power for equipment.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Federal Coordinating Office Michael Byrne said citizens are our best first responders. “This is when neighbor helping neighbor is not just a phrase or an idea, but reality,” he said. “They all contribute to the response from local, federal and private sector partners.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]For more information on how to better prepare for disasters and tips on developing a family emergency kit, visit www.ready.gov. Visit this link to learn more about how to be the help until help arrives. "

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]At the bottom of that page it says "Last Updated: [/FONT][FONT=&amp]01/23/2020"
    [/FONT]

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I always have enough supplies on hand for a minimum of 30 days. I actually try to keep enough water for 60 days as well as ways to purify which can extend that quite a bit. We can eat well for a minimum of 30 days but that can easily be stretched out if the "disaster" looks like it we be something significantly longer. Then there's enough beans, rice, flour, peanut butter, etc. to go even longer. Several ways to cook as well with enough fuel source to get us thru. Have plenty of standard medical supplies as well. Plenty of Flashlights, batteries, blankets, emergency radio, 2 way radios, etc. We'd probably run out of toiletries first but even those supplies are good for a minimum of 30 days. I'm sure I'm forgetting other things as well, but I believe we are well prepared, especially for hunkering down at home.

Always remember to rotate your stock as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always have enough supplies on hand for a minimum of 30 days. I actually try to keep enough water for 60 days as well as ways to purify which can extend that quite a bit. We can eat well for a minimum of 30 days but that can easily be stretched out if the "disaster" looks like it we be something significantly longer. Then there's enough beans, rice, flour, peanut butter, etc. to go even longer. Several ways to cook as well with enough fuel source to get us thru. Have plenty of standard medical supplies as well. Plenty of Flashlights, batteries, blankets, emergency radio, 2 way radios, etc. We'd probably run out of toiletries first but even those supplies are good for a minimum of 30 days. I'm sure I'm forgetting other things as well, but I believe we are well prepared, especially for hunkering down at home.

Always remember to rotate your stock as well

30 days is the base number. With rationing our core group could go 40+ if need be. This all depends on how much "HELP" we may have to give others.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting. 10 days would be the absolute minimum but in a disaster situation there would be others in need.

As a single man, I would have helped those in need as much as I could. Now as one with a family, it's doubtful that I would. My generosity ends at the lips of my daughter's empty stomach. Though, other people with children I would probably make an exception. Just adults? "Sorry, ***charges bolt*** keep moving"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As a single man, I would have helped those in need as much as I could. Now as one with a family, it's doubtful that I would. My generosity ends at the lips of my daughter's empty stomach. Though, other people with children I would probably make an exception. Just adults? "Sorry, ***charges bolt*** keep moving"

The kids will be my issue. We know most of the little ones on our block because they play here with the terrorists (see avatar) as our back yard is a kids wonderland especially when the pool and Trampoline are up in the summer. I know these kids. We do treats and such when they are here. I know many of their names.

Man it would be tough. But like you said, adults....heres a bottle of water and good luck too you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    30 days is the base number. With rationing our core group could go 40+ if need be. This all depends on how much "HELP" we may have to give others.

That's because you come from the food hoarding era, lol.... or to be more correct, you had parents that lived through the Depression who actually did hoard food.
    My parents are the same. They have so much damn food, I have literally gone grocery shopping at their house before. Hell, my pop could feed a family of four, for a month, with every type of canned seafood you could image (kipper snacks, oysters, mussels, sardines).... though he would probably starve if he didn't have hot sauce and crackers to eat it with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's because you come from the food hoarding era, lol.... or to be more correct, you had parents that lived through the Depression who actually did hoard food.
    My parents are the same. They have so much damn food, I have literally gone grocery shopping at their house before. Hell, my pop could feed a family of four, for a month, with every type of canned seafood you could image (kipper snacks, oysters, mussels, sardines).... though he would probably starve if he didn't have hot sauce and crackers to eat it with.

Yup.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Pamcake, you’re absolutely right. The FEMA guideline has been 72 hours since basically 9/11. The current change to ten days coincides nicely with current biological threat hullabaloo.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    .... though he would probably starve if he didn't have hot sauce and crackers to eat it with.

I have had to shake the hot sauce to get it back in line because it was stored for so long.

Have yet to find store bought crackers that last. Made that mistake years ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had to shake the hot sauce to get it back in line because it was stored for so long.

We try to keep bulk crackers in the pantry. We go through them pretty fast so they stay good. But the in stock reserves fit the 30 day scenario.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Federal Coordinating Office Michael Byrne said citizens are our best first responders. “This is when neighbor helping neighbor is not just a phrase or an idea, but reality,” he said. “They all contribute to the response from local, federal and private sector partners.

Has .gov finally realized that many people can’t be bothered having 72 hours of supplies. So giving up on those who won’t help themselves .gov bumps up the quantity to 10 days. Now all the responsible people will have 10 days of supplies and when the disaster hits they will expect them to be guilted into sharing with those who are unprepared. So one family with a 10 day supply is able to provide care for three families for 72 hours. Thus panic is deferred across the board for three days until everyone realizes .gov can’t save them.

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North
    We have a one year supply.

Seems to me that 3 months should be the minimum if you plan on helping only yourself. Maybe I'm wrong here?

I'm guessing the idea is that 10 days is probably good for 95% of situations that could happen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a one year supply.

Seems to me that 3 months should be the minimum if you plan on helping only yourself. Maybe I'm wrong here?

I'm guessing the idea is that 10 days is probably good for 95% of situations that could happen.

Space. Available space is our major issue. There is a point that space will limit about anything you do. We have come to the realization that 30 days of living comfortably or pushing it out through rationing is about our limit. Water being the main issue.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Find a good homemade (flour, butter or oil, water, your favorite dry seasonings) cracker recipe. Practice and perfect it now so that you don't waste supplies when you need em.

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North
    Space. Available space is our major issue. There is a point that space will limit about anything you do. We have come to the realization that 30 days of living comfortably or pushing it out through rationing is about our limit. Water being the main issue.

I agree. Purification eventually becomes the only option.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Has .gov finally realized that many people can’t be bothered having 72 hours of supplies. So giving up on those who won’t help themselves .gov bumps up the quantity to 10 days. Now all the responsible people will have 10 days of supplies and when the disaster hits they will expect them to be guilted into sharing with those who are unprepared. So one family with a 10 day supply is able to provide care for three families for 72 hours. Thus panic is deferred across the board for three days until everyone realizes .gov can’t save them.
    I understand your cynicism, but I think this actually has a more legitimate reason. The current coronavirus spread is making the idea of having to isolate for a substantial period of time a lot more likely. From that point of view, 10 days is actually very much on the low side.

One way to get past space limitations is to produce instead. Since you have your own home, you should consider water barrels to capture rain and an in-home filter to purify it.

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North

Water crackers are your best store bought option. They were originally made by the English for long sea voyages. No butter is used in them so they won't spoil as quickly.

Top Bottom