Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDave View Post
    I lost 6 rows of sweet corn and 1 row of potatoes. What tomato plants I covered with a 5 gal. plastic bucket survived. I sure hope this is the last freeze for the season. Got my sweetcorn replanted today. I am going to wait on the potatoes and see if they come back from any eyes left on the potato underground.
    I'm up north so rarely does anything go in the ground before Mothers Day, and it seems like the last few years it's been closer to Memorial Day. We've had 3 frosts in the last 5 days. I haven't even tilled yet this year. Upcoming weekend calling for 1.5" rain. Start of next week looks good, hopefully do it then. Extended forecast showing rain for all 4 days of my long Memorial Day weekend, so not sure when plants will go in. My tomatoes are already over 2 ft tall. I'm so glad I put a greenhouse up this year, at least if nothing else they'll just get transplanted to bigger pots and stay in there

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDave View Post
    ... I am going to wait on the potatoes and see if they come back from any eyes left on the potato underground.
    I've had potatoes recover from the tops freezing. I'm guessing they will regrow.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Expert

User Info Menu

New gardener here. Tomatoes are taking over the house and I want to get them outside. 7 day forecast shows a couple evenings down to 49 degrees next Tuesday night. Is it safe to put them out or am I taking a chance?

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

49 is no problem at all. However, you don't want to take them out and plant them directly. They aren't used to outside conditions.

I'd bring them out to a protected area to start "hardening" them off so they are used to outside conditions- temperature variations, light, etc. Put them somewhere where they will get partial sun and be protected from high winds. Be sure they are protected from rascally rabbits. Once they've been out 4-days to a week, then you can plant them.
    If you love anti-American riots, thank our universities.

Expert

User Info Menu

All my potatoes got bit but coming back great, we covered everything else that had been planted, tomatoes going in today, and peppers.

User Info Menu

Corn is in.
    Retired with low speed & high drag

Plinker

User Info Menu

Hi...going to start following this thread. We just started four propogation trays about ten days ago...zucchini, lettuce, green onion, broccoli, sweet peppers and hot peppers for veggies (may purchase some plants to complete the rest of our veggies) and herbs - dill, parsley, oregano, basil and catnip...also started some flowers - coreopsis, milkweed, lavender and hollyhock. I'm new at this and probably messed some stuff up but some seedlings are already up and some aren't. The Zucchini are already pretty big, and some of the other seedlings are coming up in clumps. How big should I let the seedlings get before I start thinning the plants? I've attached a photo of what they look like today...Thoughts?
    Seedlings 20200513.jpg

User Info Menu

The rest of the garden goes in this afternoon. Freezes are done for the foreseeable future, and rain the rest of the week. So it's today or wait a long time.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tosharri View Post
    Hi...going to start following this thread. We just started four propogation trays about ten days ago...zucchini, lettuce, green onion, broccoli, sweet peppers and hot peppers for veggies (may purchase some plants to complete the rest of our veggies) and herbs - dill, parsley, oregano, basil and catnip...also started some flowers - coreopsis, milkweed, lavender and hollyhock. I'm new at this and probably messed some stuff up but some seedlings are already up and some aren't. The Zucchini are already pretty big, and some of the other seedlings are coming up in clumps. How big should I let the seedlings get before I start thinning the plants? I've attached a photo of what they look like today...Thoughts?
    Seedlings 20200513.jpg
    The basil and lettuce are okay for now. Look for any that are clearly growing larger or lagging. Laggards can be removed at any time. You certainly don't want two plants in a cube as large as those zucchini. When you remove them, if they are tiny, you can probably just pull them out. As they get a little larger, they can entangle the roots and you end up killing both good and bad together. It is safer to clip them when thinning.

Warning: The catnip is in the mint family, which means that it is invasive and will spread. You should either grow it at a part of the properly where you don't care if it ends up spreading or grow it in a container.
    If you love anti-American riots, thank our universities.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    The basil and lettuce are okay for now. Look for any that are clearly growing larger or lagging. Laggards can be removed at any time. You certainly don't want two plants in a cube as large as those zucchini. When you remove them, if they are tiny, you can probably just pull them out. As they get a little larger, they can entangle the roots and you end up killing both good and bad together. It is safer to clip them when thinning.

Warning: The catnip is in the mint family, which means that it is invasive and will spread. You should either grow it at a part of the properly where you don't care if it ends up spreading or grow it in a container.
    Thank you Phase 2! I will put the catnip in a container all by itself - I understand exactly what you mean by it being part of the mint family and did not know that! Do you think I could try to plant the zucchini now so they don't get in the way?

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast