• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I'm planning on starting most of my garden plants from seed this year.
    I have done this in the past, but am always on the late side of getting to it... last year I didn't get seeds in the flats until May, so I decided this year I am going to do better.

With average last frost date being around May 20 for my area, I'm looking at starting the seeds 6 weeks before that. Is this a good rule of thumb still?

Another question: does anyone use warming mats for under the seed starting beds?
    I have to start seeds in the basement this year, and I know it is not as warm as it should be, so I figure using a warming mat would be an asset. This is the one I am looking at: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015PD8...colid=W6QIKUQ4FBPZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'd definitely recommend a warming mat if you are starting in a colder environment like your basement. If you are doing it in a warm location, it does speed up and may improve germination rates some, but it is more of a judgment call.

As for the starting date, different plants need different lead-times before planting outside. I like to use this online calculator to give dates for specific crops. It is very easy to use.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wife has been growing lettuce in the greenhouse most of the winter. Nice having fresh salad every few days.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    As for the starting date, different plants need different lead-times before planting outside. I like to use this online calculator to give dates for specific crops. It is very easy to use.

Thanks for that link, that looks so much more helpful than a generic "start your seeds this many weeks ahead".

As for the heating mat- last year I started several seeds from Baker Creek, in a second floor room by a window, and they germinated within two days! way quicker than I expected, and they got leggy... so I started over. But this year, I have to start everything in the basement and I'm pretty sure the heating mat is a good call.

As an aside- I still plan on buying some of my plants, and for anyone looking for a good place around Indy to get veg plants- Paul's Nursery on the corner of Kitley and Brookville is a great place. I get my tomato plants there every year, and they are top notch. We had a bumper crop of sweet 100's last year...more than we could use.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Leggy plants indicates insufficient light. Since you are growing in your basement, you'll need to get some good gro-lights.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm jelous of you folks with the patience and diligence to grow your plants from seed. Once in a while, I get lucky, but most of the time something goes wrong with timing or conditions or the frost date was a lie or...

I am much happier paying the green house to start my plants. I still attempt and hit the mark once in a while for the fall garden.

In other news, I just planted some garlic today that had sprouted in the kitchen...

20200223-131200.jpg

Just for fun, I threw a celery bottom in the ground too...

20200223-151848.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The garlic can grow that way. I don't think the celery will however.

Pull it out, rinse it off and put it in a cup with the bottom hanging into some water. There is a good chance it will root that way and start some new stalks. Then you can plant it.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    OK. I've seen videos and done the water growth method. Good luck.

Doesn't cost anything to try.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't think I'm going to do a garden this year. Never got around to it last year because of DoggyMama's health issues. I may put out a couple of 5 gallon buckets with tomato plants just so I can have BLT's. Maybe another one or two with some hot peppers.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You might want to watch this video then. You can create a self-wicking (self-watering) bucket to grow your plants in. Provides much more even watering and you'll need to add water much less often. A couple of hours investment up front can save you a lot of work for the rest of the year.

[video=youtube_share;E8aE9nd8D4s]https://youtu.be/E8aE9nd8D4s[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You might want to watch this video then. You can create a self-wicking (self-watering) bucket to grow your plants in. Provides much more even watering and you'll need to add water much less often. A couple of hours investment up front can save you a lot of work for the rest of the year.

[video=youtube_share;E8aE9nd8D4s]https://youtu.be/E8aE9nd8D4s[/video]

Thanks Phase2! That looks like a great idea!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We are in the process of cleaning out our planting trays for this year's seeds. Planting will be this week at our indoor light table.
    You could consider this gardening: first maple sap of the year is boiling now. Tapped trees Friday evening, and by this morning several 5-gallon buckets were full.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ordered all the seeds and bulbs. They should get here in a timely fashion. Just need to get the ground ready when the spring rains stop. If they do.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Planting of the early March cold weather/snow resistant crops has been done.
    Seeds have been started indoors for the rest and flowers.
    With the exception of corn.
    Corn I'll wait till later and plant outside after the last frost.
    I have someBlackBerry, raspberry, bushes to plant Still

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Put a few seeds in starters today. Picked up a few flowering seeds to try and draw in wildlife but haven't put them in soil yet. Wondering if I should get a growing light for better results?

Top Bottom