• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a container with ~2 gallons of gasoline in my shed that is just beyond about a year old now. It was intended for the lawn mower, but I just ended up not using all of it last summer. Where can I take that to be properly disposed so that I can fill up the container with some newer gasoline?

Anyone else run into this problem?

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you’re in the county where you can burn, find some sticks, make a pile, pour it on, light a match and run. If you have a dead area, just pour it out and let it evaporate.

Dumping into the ground is dangerous for the environment as far as I know. It won't just evaporate - it can make its way into groundwater. Not sure if that's even a legal option.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you’re in the county where you can burn, find some sticks, make a pile, pour it on, light a match and run. If you have a dead area, just pour it out and let it evaporate.

You mean like this? This is what happens when you try this.

[video=youtube;3f4lPzxSm5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4lPzxSm5A[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have a container with ~2 gallons of gasoline in my shed that is just beyond about a year old now. It was intended for the lawn mower, but I just ended up not using all of it last summer. Where can I take that to be properly disposed so that I can fill up the container with some newer gasoline?

Anyone else run into this problem?

When I run into this, I just put the old gas into my nearly full gas tank in my car. when mixed into the fresh gas, it doesnt cause any problems.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When I run into this, I just put the old gas into my nearly full gas tank in my car. when mixed into the fresh gas, it doesnt cause any problems.

Exactly.
    I usually look in the can real good to see if there's any particles but it shouldn't gum up yet. That can take years and years. (but don't use a flashlight or lighter to see better)

If you have any doubts, pour it into your neighbors car. (even if it's a Tesla) :):

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Metal bucket and a match, pour stand back immediately and light. This is how we use to live train fire extinguisher use. The guy in the video allowed the fumes to saturate the are before lighting hence the viral video.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I have gas in cans over five years old that still works just fine in my lawnmowers and generator. I do not rotate my big cans as often as I should, I know! I use Pri-G in each one (now) every year and it has been good to go. I decided to pull some out last fall when I was cleaning the garage and was appalled to find my big cans buried and out of sight = out of mind. I put some Pri-G in each one and gave some a test. That stuff is the best!

Yes... going to rotate more often now... this was all emergency storage for the generator and the bigger cans are a pain in the butt to take and fill but after smacking myself on the head a few times, I made myself promise to be moar better. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dumping into the ground is dangerous for the environment as far as I know. It won't just evaporate - it can make its way into groundwater. Not sure if that's even a legal option.

Uh.....yes gasoline will totally evaporate. As you watch it. That's what makes it so explosive is the vapors. Oil is what takes time not gasoline.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Drink beer(s). Douse a brush pile in kerosene. Drink beer(s). Find old Christmas tree that is sufficiently dried out. Drink beer(s). Light Christmas tree on fire. Drink beer(s). Throw Christmas tree like a javelin in to brush pile. Drink beer(s) and shout "WOOOOO!!!!"

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have gas in cans over five years old that still works just fine in my lawnmowers and generator. I do not rotate my big cans as often as I should, I know! I use Pri-G in each one (now) every year and it has been good to go. I decided to pull some out last fall when I was cleaning the garage and was appalled to find my big cans buried and out of sight = out of mind. I put some Pri-G in each one and gave some a test. That stuff is the best!

Yes... going to rotate more often now... this was all emergency storage for the generator and the bigger cans are a pain in the butt to take and fill but after smacking myself on the head a few times, I made myself promise to be moar better. :)

Not near as well with the ethanol gas of today. Gasoline can be stabilized ethanol is plant based and deteriorates...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not near as well with the ethanol gas of today. Gasoline can be stabilized ethanol is plant based and deteriorates...

This. Ive got a snow blower with a cheap chinese knockoff of the Honda engine. It HATES old gas. Untreated Ethanol gas purchased in August is stale enough by February that the engine wont turn over. When its time to buy fresh gas to feed the beast I take the can to the gas station, empty it into my car's tank, top off the car. Fill the can and hang up the nozzle.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This. Ive got a snow blower with a cheap chinese knockoff of the Honda engine. It HATES old gas. Untreated Ethanol gas purchased in August is stale enough by February that the engine wont turn over. When its time to buy fresh gas to feed the beast I take the can to the gas station, empty it into my car's tank, top off the car. Fill the can and hang up the nozzle.

Go up to Clermont Countrymark and e-free gas for your yard equipment. I run e-free in my 2005 truck and it runs like new. The gas gauge that didn't work correctly for 10 years started working again after 4 full tanks...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Go up to Clermont Countrymark and e-free gas for your yard equipment. I run e-free in my 2005 truck and it runs like new. The gas gauge that didn't work correctly for 10 years started working again after 4 full tanks...

Thanks, I considered that. But given I'm a couple blocks away from a regular station, my method is faster and works well enough.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom