• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My wife and I have thought about a greenhouse for years and it's more her idea than my own. Personally I don't think the amount of space for the money is to our favor, but the idea of adding more time to the front and back end of a growing season along with keeping critters out does make some sense to me. I'm open to the idea of it and with everything going on this year I like the idea of an added layer of food security.

Has anyone here put one together? Tractor supply has a lot of kits from what I saw. One of my concerns is the strength of the building itself and that it won't get blown over. Where we live we get some nasty high winds.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm interested in this topic as well. I don't grow anything, but I would like to. For those who use them, what is best to grow in the greenhouse and what goes better outside of it? How do you prioritize?

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I've read a ton on these kit greenhouse. Basically, they will collapse the first significant wind if assembled as instructed. The doors leak and they lack ventilation. With many more greenhouse screws (cushioned and sealed), labor and parts to firm up weak spots, you'll have a somewhat ghetto greenhouse. If you have time and don't need to impress neighbors, they will work. I don't mind building from scratch, but after pricing new panels, these kits are a pretty good deal. There are also pretty good ideas on how to firm up your greenhouse on youtube.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I am interested in this also. I helped assemble a round top when I was in FFA and it was pretty easy but that was with 25 kids and a few adults. It was 24x40 if I remember correctly. I am not sure what is cost but it was a true nursery style greenhouse. I have been thinking about building one for a year or so now. I was going to basically build a shed. Instead of using T1-11 siding I was going to use the clear panels you can get from a metal siding company. From my math I can build a 8x10 for less then $750. I am afraid the store bought cheap ones will blow away or only last for a year or 2.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    a "high tunnel" will be way more economical to build vs. the same size greenhouse.

This may be a bit of unneeded eye-rolling information, but green houses have a heat source other than sunlight. High tunnels are just solar heat.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I've read a ton on these kit greenhouse. Basically, they will collapse the first significant wind if assembled as instructed. The doors leak and they lack ventilation. With many more greenhouse screws (cushioned and sealed), labor and parts to firm up weak spots, you'll have a somewhat ghetto greenhouse. If you have time and don't need to impress neighbors, they will work. I don't mind building from scratch, but after pricing new panels, these kits are a pretty good deal. There are also pretty good ideas on how to firm up your greenhouse on youtube.

I've also been considering building a greenhouse to go with my small orchard and garden and will be pulling the trigger on this soon. If you are willing to do the labor yourself, you can actually get a very solid setup for the money. Those glass/plexiglass kit greenhouses that you see at hardware stores are typically junk and I've settled on building a hoop house. I really like the kits here, but if you want to go smaller/cheaper you can still build a solid backyard setup using cattle panels like this:

[video=youtube;Gy1bhLpNv3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1bhLpNv3k[/video]

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    a "high tunnel" will be way more economical to build vs. the same size greenhouse.

This may be a bit of unneeded eye-rolling information, but green houses have a heat source other than sunlight. High tunnels are just solar heat.

That is fairly common, but definitely not required.. You can add heat to a high tunnel (especially if it is double-walled for better insulation) and other structured greenhouses aren't required to have heat.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Our greenhouse is built attached to the side of the garage. The gardener grows lettuce in there all year easily and has grown peppers and tomatoes as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom