• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What have you learned during the pandemic?

About your preps?

About your hardware?

About your skills/training?

About other preparedness?

Note - Everyone loves clever comedy and joking responses. There are lots of threads for that. It would be great if we could keep this thread on point to be productive for one and all.
    Thanks! :ingo:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Preps - I really need to take 2 is 1 a lot more seriously. I'm usually pretty good about things, and I had all of the basics covered, but I've been close on a few luxuries and that has annoyed me. Some items I'll be looking to double my supply on. I eat canned soup pretty regularly and have probably a month worth on hand in normal times, but it looks like I may end up eating it all by the time this is done (half gone already). So... 1 month needs to become 2. I should also do more to have some flu remedy type things on hand since I didn't see that one coming.

Hardware - No real issues as I haven't needed anything special yet. I do wish I had prioritized getting an AR platform rifle (I have others, just wanted to get with "the team" for commonality). I'll be fixing that as soon as it's reasonably possible to do so.

Skills/Training - Sort of the same story... Haven't needed to deploy any special skills of any kind yet. I think we all could use more training in general though, so this is a good wake up call.

Other preparedness - I've got myself a touch cash strapped at the moment by taking advantage of various "good deals" while things were falling. I'm not at all desperate, but not as comfortable as I'd like to be, especially considering the market's 30% hair cut sort of shutting me out of selling things unless I really, really had to. I should make cash holdings a bigger priority in the future just as more of a safety net.

Good thread! I'm excited to read the other responses! :yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The biggest issue I have is worrying about my adult children and their families. The wife and I could get by for several months without leaving the house at this point. It might be unpleasant as I like fresh produce, milk, eggs, store bought bread. But I have a lot of canned and frozen food and all else fails, the dried emergency supplies. But what do you do about the kids losing their jobs, not being able to feed their families, lose their homes, etc. I don't have the money to keep everyone up.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Not every disaster is telegraphed, but if they are *and you pay attention*, you can do some things to be better prepared if/when it hits. In this case, I was able to beef up sanitation supplies before things got crazy and items became unavailable.

A "shelter in place" order is a good time to work on projects/skills that you might have been putting off.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Sharing the message about preparing for this eventuality over the last 2 months has left some folks thinking that I am prepared to take care of them. The message was intended for them to hear the warning and prepare themselves in advance.

All they apparently heard was that I was prepared and thought I could be a resource for them when they got into a pinch.

As much as I would like to be helpful to those in need, I am re-examining my approach and my op-sec.

Frankly, we're not even in a real pinch yet, but I have already been approached twice about some of my supplies (non-family types). I have heard a few other comments directed at me that have made me uncomfortable.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I'd guess I'm not alone is saying I'm not sure I learned much, but the events have solidified what I already knew. I guess I learned that I need to make more of a commitment to accomplish the preparation level I desire.

Who knows exactly how tough the CV19 road is going to be, at this time I feel like I've done okay, but wish I'd done better/more.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    About your preps- I'm pretty well prepared. I have cooking utensils, ability to clean both my body and clothing. I have full tanks of gas in both vehicles. Plenty of food. What I am lacking: if this plays out longer than a couple weeks, I will be out of materials to continue my home reno. I probably should go out and buy the wood to build my vanities. If I have that, I'm good for quite awhile.

About your hardware-I am not lacking in hardware.

About your skills/training-Skills for shelter in place are fine. Defensive skills if it would come to that can always use work.

About other preparedness- Mentally we are fine. My wife and I don't get bored. Being sheltered in place at this point doesn't mean I'm not working my job 8 hours per day. But if that would change, I would now have the time to really organize my home from closets to garage. Something I want to get done this spring anyway.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    As much as I would like to be helpful to those in need, I am re-examining my approach and my op-sec.

No one but me knows what I actually have and I like to keep it that way. That's prepper 101. Keep your mouth shut. I've had anecdotal conversations with coworkers about this or that, but not detailed ones.

However, this brings up another valuable point, IMO. If you are in a position to help someone out and you can do it without hurting yourself, it's a good time to do so. Not that I'm St. Max The Charitable over here or anything, but the store had a couple of extra things when I went yesterday so I dropped a couple extra bucks on them and put them in the food box at work. I'd rather people not be starving and coming after my stash in the first place, so, money where my mouth is a little bit there.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'd rather people not be starving and coming after my stash in the first place, so, money where my mouth is a little bit there.

As they've said on the Survival Podcast: "It is better to feed your neighbors than to have to shoot them."

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    No one but me knows what I actually have and I like to keep it that way. That's prepper 101. Keep your mouth shut. I've had anecdotal conversations with coworkers about this or that, but not detailed ones.

It wasn't even detailed conversations, believe it or not. It was just the fact that I was telling people to be prepared. They have made up their own stories. Since they now believe me they think I had two months to prepare and must have done so. Now, since they didn't do diddly, I am supposed to help them because I "saw it coming".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As mentioned in another thread, "Gas, ass or grass, no one rides for free." It's a funny bumper sticker, but still so true.

Like some of you, I am running into those "friends" that are quite content to help themselves to my preps. I tell them to bring a shovel, as they'll be using it. If they would choose to deplete my resources, they need to plan to help build it back.

Hard work will be in order to cover the debt. If not cash will work, if they have enough to cover what the market value may be. The hope is to run these folks elsewhere. IF not, they know coming in that nothing is free.

Certainly a lesson that I've learned through this crisis is to keep my mouth shut. Loose lips sing ships and I've talked too much sometimes. This also kind of bolsters the ongoing learning from the Red Flag Law situation. All the more reason to STFU me!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wasn't even detailed conversations, believe it or not. It was just the fact that I was telling people to be prepared. They have made up their own stories. Since they now believe me they think I had two months to prepare and must have done so. Now, since they didn't do diddly, I am supposed to help them because I "saw it coming".

Well we saw it coming 20 years ago with Y2K so just stop it people. WTF up. Look around you and pay attention. Put down the cell phone because your twitter feed will not take care of your physical needs.
    My neighbor is making the right moves since he and I spoke of this. He has a long way to go and realizes I will feed his kids over him if supply's become critical. We worry over the little ones. Grownup's need to fend for themselves.

I am at a point that my "Give-a-:poop:" is completely broken.
    I have been called a racist 1 too many times and nothing is farther from the truth.
    I have been relegated to the "Old fat white guy irrelevant category 1 too many times.
    I have been told that prepping is stupid 1 too many times.
    I have been called names for owning firearms and standing firm in my support of the 2-A 1 too many times.
    I have had petulant children in adult body's (Ingo members) call me names 1 too many times.

So my mind is set. If you are in our circle you know who you are and the plan stands. If not it is a bad idea to push me if this all goes crap city.

This is JMMHO but I stand firm on it. I/we have helped and given until we are all out of patience to no avail. Never ever mistake kindness for weakness. It would be a bad mistake.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The biggest issue I have is worrying about my adult children and their families. The wife and I could get by for several months without leaving the house at this point. It might be unpleasant as I like fresh produce, milk, eggs, store bought bread. But I have a lot of canned and frozen food and all else fails, the dried emergency supplies. But what do you do about the kids losing their jobs, not being able to feed their families, lose their homes, etc. I don't have the money to keep everyone up.

As far as my kids, I'll be happy to feed them. I will not help them financially.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I have a general aura of having my s*** together (fooled 'em again!) and my natural presentation in my appearance is basically don't f*** with me. So... No one was surprised that I did have things together and no one is asking for hand outs.

Now... As another thing I think we could all learn from this, as CM has stated, is that hand UPs are OK. If someone says they want to do more, share your knowledge. If someone is buried face deep on their phone all day concerned over celebrity news, they're not going to listen to you anyhow. Shut your mouth and carry on.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Now... As another thing I think we could all learn from this, as CM has stated, is that hand UPs are OK. If someone says they want to do more, share your knowledge. If someone is buried face deep on their phone all day concerned over celebrity news, they're not going to listen to you anyhow. Shut your mouth and carry on.

QFT

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    As some are worried about adult children, we also have to worry about our elderly members. My wife and I take care of her grandmother full time. My wife tells me today that grandma is low on toilet paper. We don't have much, so I drove to 7 different places before I found a small pack. I feel so bad for the elderly as some cannot get out on their own and the ones that can, can't because they are at high risk. I pray that everyone is looking out for these elderly family members or neighbors. As for me and my family, we should be set.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    About your preps?
    Not anywhere near what it used to be. In late 2018 we had 8-10 weeks of supplies laid in, easily.
    These last 14 months have seen my daughter go through a nasty divorce. The result was her and the grandkids moving in with us for about 6 months until she got back on her feet(with a lot of help from my savings account).
    My father had a series of bad strokes last fall and has been living with us ever since. He will have to do so for the rest of his life. Between his weekly therapy /Dr visits and dietary needs, it has depleted some of out supplies and the time to keep up with restocking.
    My wife has chronic emphysema which has steadily gotten worse this year. The medical bills and time off work for me has seriously depleted our cash reserves. Plus, the stress of being ill has really taken it's toll on her normally upbeat attitude.
    But, despite all of the chaos going on around us lately, we where still sitting on 30 days of supplies. Not what I wanted, but it has brought a little piece of mind.

About your hardware?
    Doing great there. Could use a few more spare parts for some things, but doing ok.

About your skills/training?
    Not bad, but could always use some improvement.

About other preparedness?
    Mental attitude is something that I really need to work on. Outwardly I am confident and give off the attitude that we are doing good and I got this. I have to make sure that my family feels secure and at ease. Internally.....I'm a little worried. I am worried about bringing the sickness home to them (which would be fatal for both of them) and I am worried that is something happened to me, they would not make it.

Top Bottom