• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Have been watching videos for several days. Been water-bath canning for a few years (simple stuff-salsa, fruit, pickles). Expanding my repertoire into canning beans, soups, possibly meats.

Any good tips, tricks, recipes INGO cares to share for a newbie? I plan on doing chili this weekend, and some dry beans next week.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Have been watching videos for several days. Been water-bath canning for a few years (simple stuff-salsa, fruit, pickles). Expanding my repertoire into canning beans, soups, possibly meats.

Any good tips, tricks, recipes INGO cares to share for a newbie? I plan on doing chili this weekend, and some dry beans next week.

We've dabbled in pressure canning. If you're not familiar, read anything about canning from Jackie Clay-Atkinson (aka Jackie Clay)... she has probably forgotten more about canning than most people will ever know. The website of Backwoods Home magazine is a good place to start. Here's a link to get you going on that particular path: https://www.backwoodshome.com/?s=canning

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation... they have how-to info, pressure canner info, recipes, etc

What canner did you buy and how big is it?

We can a lot of meat in the summer for soups, stews, etc in the fall and winter. When chicken breasts and pork loins get really cheap we load up and process as much as we can. Good prices on chuck roasts can be had...we cut those in to stew meat and can away. Green beans are easy to do in a pressure canner. Call the wholesalers and can sometimes get a bushel of blue lakes for about $26....we can 1LB per quart jar, with no salt. They are great in the middle of winter. A bushel of green beans will yield about 26-28 quarts of beans depending on how tight you pack them in. My canner can do 7 quarts at a time, or I think 16 pint jars at a time. We also grow and can our own tomatoes....very easy to do.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation... they have how-to info, pressure canner info, recipes, etc

What canner did you buy and how big is it?

We can a lot of meat in the summer for soups, stews, etc in the fall and winter. When chicken breasts and pork loins get really cheap we load up and process as much as we can. Good prices on chuck roasts can be had...we cut those in to stew meat and can away. Green beans are easy to do in a pressure canner. Call the wholesalers and can sometimes get a bushel of blue lakes for about $26....we can 1LB per quart jar, with no salt. They are great in the middle of winter. A bushel of green beans will yield about 26-28 quarts of beans depending on how tight you pack them in. My canner can do 7 quarts at a time, or I think 16 pint jars at a time. We also grow and can our own tomatoes....very easy to do.

23qt Presto w/ gauge

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We pressure can our green beans, and pork, beef and chicken. It is great to have in the winter and no need to get out for stuff. We also can carrots, beets,corn cut off the cob and tomatoes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My tip is to figure the size (All American) canner you want then buy the next size bigger. I wish I'd have bought the size that would accommodate two layers of quarts.

FYI - all of my canning takes place outside over a propane fired burner on the deck. Heat and humidity stay outside.

All kinds of canned meat is wonderful.

1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp beef bullion seasons venison quite well.
    Of course, you can get creative if you want onions, peppers, garlic, etc. I'd do the first batch with just salt and bullion and go from there.

A thought on the deer processing is to break down the bones for making bone broth. All the cool kids consume bone broth as a supplement these days.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My tip is to figure the size (All American) canner you want then buy the next size bigger. I wish I'd have bought the size that would accommodate two layers of quarts.

FYI - all of my canning takes place outside over a propane fired burner on the deck. Heat and humidity stay outside.

All kinds of canned meat is wonderful.

1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp beef bullion seasons venison quite well.
    Of course, you can get creative if you want onions, peppers, garlic, etc. I'd do the first batch with just salt and bullion and go from there.

A thought on the deer processing is to break down the bones for making bone broth. All the cool kids consume bone broth as a supplement these days.
    All good things guys, thanks.
    Given the current climate, I think I'll can indoors and save my propane. Otherwise I would. I intended on packing the meat jars with some onions & peppers. Don't have any clove garlic ATM, just powder and the dried cubelets.
    Downloaded and printed a bunch of recipes off presto website tonight for reading.
    Q's:
    1. I don't have an extra "tray" for double stacking pints. Can I use the basket from my water-bath canner on bottom and put new tray on top?
    2. What are some common newbie mistakes you all have made that I should be mindful of? The previously mentioned Mudbrooker video was very helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice. Im a decent water-bath canner, time to step up my game. Seems like a dying art. If any good comes of this I hope we get back to our roots.
    Insert "I remember a time when..." phrase. I wish Granny was here. I miss the farm.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Canned venison is excellent in beef and noodles.

I take a pint of canned venison chunks and dump it in a pot with a quart of canned vegetable soup mix, add some homemade beef bone broth and heat....HOE-LEEEEEE COW it's good stuff.

We control the salt, preservatives, and anything that goes in it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    23qt Presto w/ gauge

Imagine that. I have a Model 23B I bought at garage sale. It's probably 40 years old. Presto still makes and sells the gaskets, and gauges for it. Solid cast aluminum. I replaced the handles, the gauge, the safety valve and the lid gasket when I got it. I have maybe $50 in the thing now. We try to wear it out.

I do my canning on the back patio, using an old turkey fryer propane burner. Heats up quick, very sturdy...but you need to check the weather forecast for canning days.

Enjoy your canner!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Are pressure canned green beans soft and squishy like the canned beans at the grocery? my son loves them; me - no thanks. i like the crunch.

The green beans my wife cans are good. She says I'm worse than a kid when it comes to being picky. I cannot stand fresh green beans. As long as they are canned, I love them! Probably my favorite meal is the easiest to make. Smoked sausage, potatoes, and canned green beans cooked in the skillet!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    6 of 7 jars sealed. I gathered one of them leaked and got a seed wedged in the lid. Dated and stored the remaining.

11lbs for 90mins. Easy but time consuming. We got a family game night out of it. Today I'll try the dry beans (been soaking all night). Pintos w/ onion and seasons.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The green beans my wife cans are good. She says I'm worse than a kid when it comes to being picky. I cannot stand fresh green beans. As long as they are canned, I love them! Probably my favorite meal is the easiest to make. Smoked sausage, potatoes, and canned green beans cooked in the skillet!
    Meal in a jar! I may have to try that as well. Is everything pretty much 90mins for quart jars? Every recipe I've seen so far is 75/90 (pt/qt).

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    6 of 7 jars sealed. I gathered one of them leaked and got a seed wedged in the lid. Dated and stored the remaining.

11lbs for 90mins. Easy but time consuming. We got a family game night out of it. Today I'll try the dry beans (been soaking all night). Pintos w/ onion and seasons.

Don't throw the one jar away...put it in the fridge and eat it this week.

Top Bottom