Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Pressure Canning

Have been watching videos for several days. Been water-bath canning for a few years (simple stuff-salsa, fruit, pickles). Expanding my repertoire into canning beans, soups, possibly meats.

Any good tips, tricks, recipes INGO cares to share for a newbie? I plan on doing chili this weekend, and some dry beans next week.
    "You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"-Fundamentals of chess 1883

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    Have been watching videos for several days. Been water-bath canning for a few years (simple stuff-salsa, fruit, pickles). Expanding my repertoire into canning beans, soups, possibly meats.

Any good tips, tricks, recipes INGO cares to share for a newbie? I plan on doing chili this weekend, and some dry beans next week.
    We've dabbled in pressure canning. If you're not familiar, read anything about canning from Jackie Clay-Atkinson (aka Jackie Clay)... she has probably forgotten more about canning than most people will ever know. The website of Backwoods Home magazine is a good place to start. Here's a link to get you going on that particular path: https://www.backwoodshome.com/?s=canning
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tench Coxe
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blakstone
    It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation... they have how-to info, pressure canner info, recipes, etc

What canner did you buy and how big is it?

We can a lot of meat in the summer for soups, stews, etc in the fall and winter. When chicken breasts and pork loins get really cheap we load up and process as much as we can. Good prices on chuck roasts can be had...we cut those in to stew meat and can away. Green beans are easy to do in a pressure canner. Call the wholesalers and can sometimes get a bushel of blue lakes for about $26....we can 1LB per quart jar, with no salt. They are great in the middle of winter. A bushel of green beans will yield about 26-28 quarts of beans depending on how tight you pack them in. My canner can do 7 quarts at a time, or I think 16 pint jars at a time. We also grow and can our own tomatoes....very easy to do.
    Last edited by PistolBob; 03-19-2020 at 20:57.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    Check out the National Center for Home Food Preservation... they have how-to info, pressure canner info, recipes, etc

What canner did you buy and how big is it?

We can a lot of meat in the summer for soups, stews, etc in the fall and winter. When chicken breasts and pork loins get really cheap we load up and process as much as we can. Good prices on chuck roasts can be had...we cut those in to stew meat and can away. Green beans are easy to do in a pressure canner. Call the wholesalers and can sometimes get a bushel of blue lakes for about $26....we can 1LB per quart jar, with no salt. They are great in the middle of winter. A bushel of green beans will yield about 26-28 quarts of beans depending on how tight you pack them in. My canner can do 7 quarts at a time, or I think 16 pint jars at a time. We also grow and can our own tomatoes....very easy to do.
    23qt Presto w/ gauge

Expert

User Info Menu

We pressure can our green beans, and pork, beef and chicken. It is great to have in the winter and no need to get out for stuff. We also can carrots, beets,corn cut off the cob and tomatoes.

User Info Menu

Canned venison is excellent in beef and noodles.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Making some this weekend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Wouldn't mind sharing a recipe would you? That sounds awesome.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

My tip is to figure the size (All American) canner you want then buy the next size bigger. I wish I'd have bought the size that would accommodate two layers of quarts.

FYI - all of my canning takes place outside over a propane fired burner on the deck. Heat and humidity stay outside.

All kinds of canned meat is wonderful.

1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp beef bullion seasons venison quite well.
    Of course, you can get creative if you want onions, peppers, garlic, etc. I'd do the first batch with just salt and bullion and go from there.

A thought on the deer processing is to break down the bones for making bone broth. All the cool kids consume bone broth as a supplement these days.
    Last edited by bwframe; 03-19-2020 at 23:04.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    My tip is to figure the size (All American) canner you want then buy the next size bigger. I wish I'd have bought the size that would accommodate two layers of quarts.

FYI - all of my canning takes place outside over a propane fired burner on the deck. Heat and humidity stay outside.

All kinds of canned meat is wonderful.

1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp beef bullion seasons venison quite well.
    Of course, you can get creative if you want onions, peppers, garlic, etc. I'd do the first batch with just salt and bullion and go from there.

A thought on the deer processing is to break down the bones for making bone broth. All the cool kids consume bone broth as a supplement these days.
    All good things guys, thanks.
    Given the current climate, I think I'll can indoors and save my propane. Otherwise I would. I intended on packing the meat jars with some onions & peppers. Don't have any clove garlic ATM, just powder and the dried cubelets.
    Downloaded and printed a bunch of recipes off presto website tonight for reading.
    Q's:
    1. I don't have an extra "tray" for double stacking pints. Can I use the basket from my water-bath canner on bottom and put new tray on top?
    2. What are some common newbie mistakes you all have made that I should be mindful of? The previously mentioned Mudbrooker video was very helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice. Im a decent water-bath canner, time to step up my game. Seems like a dying art. If any good comes of this I hope we get back to our roots.
    Insert "I remember a time when..." phrase. I wish Granny was here. I miss the farm.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast