• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    While observing the mad scramble of nearly everyone to gather food, supplies, ammo and guns because of this COVID19 pandemic, I have been pondering what is fundamentally different between those that have been preparing for potential food (other forms of) insecurity, and those that live care-free and don't concern themselves with potential negative turn of events.

I believe the best answer is that even in good times, preppers:
    1. never forget that circumstances may not always be as good, easy, convenient as they have been at times. 2. recognize the fragility of society, economy, and environment and the probability of unexpected changes as proven by history.
    3. look to themselves to solve problems

In contrast, I suppose non-preppers believe thatsociety, economy, and environment
    will always operate within acceptable ranges
    , and if not, the government and business will act to address the issues (for example "climate change").

Seem about right?

What do you think are the fundamental differences between preppers and non-preppers?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Long-term thinking: Some prepare more and worry less (they give up some luxury now for provision later).
    Short-term thinking: Some worry more and prepare less (until it's too late - then they panic buy and are food for the opportunists).
    Proverbs 22:3

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    The old saying comes to mind: Wisdom comes with age, age sometimes comes first! Being through Y2K, seeing Katrina, Sandy, Irma, and others. Now its Cor19. There also was H1N1.
    Building up preps a little bit here and there. Add more ammo and hardware. Clean and maintain them. Practice.
    Work on skillset of bushcraft, camping basics, hunting and fishing. Confidence through practice learning.
    Have Faith and will to survive. Share and teach others willingly.
    Don't quit! Good luck.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've said it before that I never considered myself a prepper, but it looks like in these times I'm probably the biggest prepper of anyone I personally know. So... My answer is a bit biased or jaded since I didn't do it on purpose or consider myself one of "you guys".

I don't like running out of s***. It's that easy. I know the things I use a lot of so I buy a lot of them. If I get lower than "a lot", I buy more. Easy as that.

I probably have 2 months or more of food, and about a month of water, on hand right now just as a matter of normal business. I had 24 rolls of TP before any of the hoarding started but that was my only pack, so it was time to buy another one. That's just how I roll. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Not that my supplies are perfect, but considering I did it by total accident, I think I'm doing alright.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I've said it before that I never considered myself a prepper,
    I probably have 2 months or more of food, and about a month of water, on hand right now just as a matter of normal business. I had 24 rolls of TP before any of the hoarding started but that was my only pack, so it was time to buy another one. That's just how I roll. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Not that my supplies are perfect, but considering I did it by total accident, I think I'm doing alright.

You may not think about it that way, but you are a practicing prepper. You are doing it very well. You can easily ride out short term food, water and TP problems. If a major storm comes thru and you are locked home for a week, you can eat, drink and poop to your hearts content. :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You may not think about it that way, but you are a practicing prepper. You are doing it very well. You can easily ride out short term food, water and TP problems. If a major storm comes thru and you are locked home for a week, you can eat, drink and poop to your hearts content. :):

And that's all the further I've ever actually "prepped" for: a bad storm or something. I have a box of candles, some playing cards, books, some medical supplies, and stuff like that for my bug in box, but I'm not prepped to bug out or go off grid forever or any of that stuff. That's why I never thought of myself as a prepper before. I don't garden, hunt, can stuff, etc. I just buy extra food and water. :dunno:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Prepping and preppers can go to all kinds of levels and cover all kinds of contingencies. Keep some cash on hand for emergencies along with your other stores and you are ahead of 95% of Americans.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Prepping and preppers can go to all kinds of levels and cover all kinds of contingencies. Keep some cash on hand for emergencies along with your other stores and you are ahead of 95% of Americans.

I have a cash fund just so if there is something I wanna buy on craigslist or something I can pounce quicker and it amounts to a little over a month of expenses.

I really am accidentally "prepped". I knew I was, but that wasn't the actual goal.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was raised by parents who were alive during WWII. Their childhoods weren't always easy. They remembered. They passed pn lessons and knowledge to me. Their parents, my grandparents lived through the great depression and it was not easy. They passed on lessons to my parents and they learned and passed them onto me.

I learned things growing up from older people who had seen crap and been through crap. Those lessons stuck with me.
    I was taught powerful lessons in the military and those stuck with me and shaped me. Nothing replaces first hand experience. Most people have no clue what its like to actually starve. I do. And I know what my body can take. Its actually a comforting feeling because missing a days worth of meals isn't starving. We learn and we prepare so as not to repeat our worst experiences.
    Always build in backups. Always plan for changes and for preps to fail or go bad. Like was said above, 1 is none and 2 is 1.
    Never put all your eggs in one basket.
    If your house was on fire right this second or let's say in the middle of the night and you could only make it out with the clothes on your back. Everything inside is a total loss. How fast could you AND your family be clothed, shelter, fed, have medical care and backup meds, armed, have your identities (birth certs, ss cards, DL copies), voice/radio and internet/cell communications, travel? Without any intervention from someone else outside of your home coming to save you?
    If the answer is that you couldn't, you had better start doing a better job now. Because when **** really hits the fan even bigger than. This now, no one is coming to save you. No one is coming to put out your house fire. And possibly bad people will see the fire or smoke and come to rob you or take other things from you!
    People laughed at me when I told them the grocery stores would be bare within 4 to 7 days. People think because this is America "it cant happen here". Well you'd be sadly mistaken. If you think Americans are any different when the bodies start stacking in the streets that ANY other nation in the world, you are wrong and your better get your head on straight to survive the future.
    I've seen it firsthand in other countries. The best and the worst of what humans can do to each other. I've seen just about everything you could imagine and it could all happen right here next week. Yep, That fast.
    Be prepared. You alone are the one who will save you! Cover your own ass. Don't take that the wrong way. I am not saying don't help others. I am saying do not rely on others to help you.

I do not rely on others for my safety, security or general well being. I plan ahead. That doesn't mean that I don't utilize government services if they are functioning. But If they dont function, I have a backup plan or I can think on the move and have one fast with a backup.
    This is what separates a prepper from the rest.
    Anyone can hoard stuff. But Not everyone has the right mindset, the right skills, the right discipline, hoards the Right stuff, and builds the plans needed to survive when disaster strikes.
    Also being a prepper is also about having a financial plan and independence. If you lost work for a month or longer could you still meet your financial obligations? And do you have plans in place moving forward to adapt your life to continue on in a reduced or no income role for a while? Have you budgeted and saved? And can you adapt those things to meet changing needs?
    Right now a lot of people are struggling financially because they maxed themselves out thinking that cash income was always going to be coming in and those debts were always going to be paid. They had no cushion. Others had cushion and maybe it's coming to an end shortly and they wish now maybe they would have built in more instead of buying some luxuries instead.
    Others prepared and are still living life as if nothing had changed or very little has changed.
    I don't judge anyone as a person. But it's like going to church. Sometimes that Sunday sermon hits alittle closer to home if you know what I mean. Maybe this pandemic is what you needed to have your eyes opened so that when the next bigger event hits, you'll be ready.

One thing I am lacking is a firm network of like minded individuals and a firm plan with them. That is bad.
    You will not survive on your own. A group of like minded and prepared individuals with broad knowledge in different fields is an advantage above all others. But trust ... there is something that is earned over time. Opsec, so very important. Plus, like I said, like minded. Not everyone is willing to get in on the prepping party.

Last edited:

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    I think the biggest difference is a prepper understands how quickly the thin veneer of society can disintegrate and through the whole world into chaos. The recent events have just been dipping at toe into the water of how bad it can really be, but hopefully it opens peoples eyes to the possibilities. I keep wondering what the situation would look like if something compounded it right now like a act of war, another virus, Indiana monsoon season, ect.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i have 4 kids. so 6 in the house. over the last 4 months ive been stocking up because i was planning on having double knee replacement in june. now thats on hold. when the tp hording started i had over 100 rolls. i did not want to buy tp, soaps, and the like when im off work for 4 to 5 months. i was not as ready as i would have liked when this hit but we are good now. if this lasts there will be a very large garden

i live on a family farm with my mother in law and 2 other sister in laws, 13 kids and 7 adults. have a small feeder caff and 24 goats that can feed us if it comes to that and 2 dozen chickens.

prior to my current job (2 yrs) i worked construction so i was off work in winters so i would stock up when working for when i was off. i dont see my self as a prepper just trying to survive with kids.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    One thing I am lacking is a firm network of like minded individuals and a firm plan with them. That is bad.
    You will not survive on your own. A group of like minded and prepared individuals with broad knowledge in different fields is an advantage above all others. But trust ... there is something that is earned over time. Opsec, so very important. Plus, like I said, like minded. Not everyone is willing to get in on the prepping party.

You know how to find the OG & me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was raised by parents who were alive during WWII. Their childhoods weren't always easy. They remembered. They passed pn lessons and knowledge to me. Their parents, my grandparents lived through the great depression and it was not easy. They passed on lessons to my parents and they learned and passed them onto me.

I learned things growing up from older people who had seen crap and been through crap. Those lessons stuck with me.
    I was taught powerful lessons in the military and those stuck with me and shaped me. Nothing replaces first hand experience. Most people have no clue what its like to actually starve. I do. And I know what my body can take. Its actually a comforting feeling because missing a days worth of meals isn't starving. We learn and we prepare so as not to repeat our worst experiences.
    Always build in backups. Always plan for changes and for preps to fail or go bad. Like was said above, 1 is none and 2 is 1.
    Never put all your eggs in one basket.
    If your house was on fire right this second or let's say in the middle of the night and you could only make it out with the clothes on your back. Everything inside is a total loss. How fast could you AND your family be clothed, shelter, fed, have medical care and backup meds, armed, have your identities (birth certs, ss cards, DL copies), voice/radio and internet/cell communications, travel? Without any intervention from someone else outside of your home coming to save you?
    If the answer is that you couldn't, you had better start doing a better job now. Because when **** really hits the fan even bigger than. This now, no one is coming to save you. No one is coming to put out your house fire. And possibly bad people will see the fire or smoke and come to rob you or take other things from you!
    People laughed at me when I told them the grocery stores would be bare within 4 to 7 days. People think because this is America "it cant happen here". Well you'd be sadly mistaken. If you think Americans are any different when the bodies start stacking in the streets that ANY other nation in the world, you are wrong and your better get your head on straight to survive the future.
    I've seen it firsthand in other countries. The best and the worst of what humans can do to each other. I've seen just about everything you could imagine and it could all happen right here next week. Yep, That fast.
    Be prepared. You alone are the one who will save you! Cover your own ass. Don't take that the wrong way. I am not saying don't help others. I am saying do not rely on others to help you.

I do not rely on others for my safety, security or general well being. I plan ahead. That doesn't mean that I don't utilize government services if they are functioning. But If they dont function, I have a backup plan or I can think on the move and have one fast with a backup.
    This is what separates a prepper from the rest.
    Anyone can hoard stuff. But Not everyone has the right mindset, the right skills, the right discipline, hoards the Right stuff, and builds the plans needed to survive when disaster strikes.
    Also being a prepper is also about having a financial plan and independence. If you lost work for a month or longer could you still meet your financial obligations? And do you have plans in place moving forward to adapt your life to continue on in a reduced or no income role for a while? Have you budgeted and saved? And can you adapt those things to meet changing needs?
    Right now a lot of people are struggling financially because they maxed themselves out thinking that cash income was always going to be coming in and those debts were always going to be paid. They had no cushion. Others had cushion and maybe it's coming to an end shortly and they wish now maybe they would have built in more instead of buying some luxuries instead.
    Others prepared and are still living life as if nothing had changed or very little has changed.
    I don't judge anyone as a person. But it's like going to church. Sometimes that Sunday sermon hits alittle closer to home if you know what I mean. Maybe this pandemic is what you needed to have your eyes opened so that when the next bigger event hits, you'll be ready.

Rep Nazi’s and all, AGAIN. Also thought I’d quote this in case it didn’t get enough airtime one the first page.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    so i was off work in winters so i would stock up when working for when i was off. i dont see my self as a prepper just trying to survive with kids.

Funny... Now that I think about it I think that's how I started doing things to this level too. I had plenty of advanced notice that I was getting laid off from Navistar and went down to Sam's and just filled the house with stuff before it happened. I basically didn't go to the store for months after that and I've just sort of maintained that same level ever since then.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Funny... Now that I think about it I think that's how I started doing things to this level too. I had plenty of advanced notice that I was getting laid off from Navistar and went down to Sam's and just filled the house with stuff before it happened. I basically didn't go to the store for months after that and I've just sort of maintained that same level ever since then.

If you were at the foundry on the SE side of Indy that entire place is GONE.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you were at the foundry on the SE side of Indy that entire place is GONE.

Nope. I was at TDTC in FTW. Jetta and I ran in the same circles, but a couple years apart. They were closing that foundry while I was at Nav though. I remember we did a few castings and it got uncomfortable figuring out who was going to actually be making them.

Also of note, there was a time when International even made their own bearings. They were the most vertically integrated company I've ever heard of, which is all the rage today, and through a series of awful management decisions over decades they squandered that all away into not much more than a bunch of guys in India and a factory in Mexico (if I had to guess, they've probably been trying to close the Ohio plant ever since showing me the door).

Top Bottom