What is the difference between a Hoarder and a Prepper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I am a Prepper. No doubt about it. But now I am being called a Hoarder because I have planned ahead. Why does the general public not able to see the difference between the two? Could it be that they are starting to see the wisdom of prepping, but just not able to truly comprehend its' true purpose? Kinda like a fire extinguisher or car insurance. You hope you never need to use it, but if you do, you are glad you have it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Badging. It is the new way.
    Another label they can throw around to empower themselves.
    If you are well prepared pay the midget minds no heed.
    Give them no strength in your response.
    Ignore them as they thrash around lost in self imposed madness.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    In the literal sense, if you have to climb over most of your stuff to get to other stuff, you're a hoarder.

I'm just wondering why at this point in the game anyone even knows what you've got or that you're "hoarding"? Security of the hoard is numbero uno. Easier to secure it for nobody knows about it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Don’t let a bunch of commie bastards bother you. They think everyone should share with them now. When it was a time of plenty they could have been saving stuff away, but no.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    When you have one path to walk throughout your house because of old newspapers and magazines and random crap bought from qvc etc etc then you might be a hoarder.
    If you have a basement full of, say, toilet paper and canned goods and loaded ar mags...then thats just good ol preparedness

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    In the literal sense, if you have to climb over most of your stuff to get to other stuff, you're a hoarder.

I'm just wondering why at this point in the game anyone even knows what you've got or that you're "hoarding"? Security of the hoard is numbero uno. Easier to secure it for nobody knows about it.
    Literally words to live by.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Prepper: Buys and stores while things are in abundance, buying a little at a time. Thinks of it as insurance, doesn't cause shortages. Carefully plans what is needed, and doesn't focus on what isn't. Preparations don't negatively impact others.

Hoarder: Waits until a crisis, then buys everything in sight, causing shortages and approaching with a selfish attitude. No planning is involved. Buys whatever presents itself as an opportunity. Tends to load up disproportionately on some items. Again, usually no planning is involved.

I also believe that most preppers would be a bit more likely to share with those in need and suffering than hoarders. I might be wrong, but that's been my gut feeling about people I've met in both categories.

A prepper also knows that toilet paper is a luxury and not a necessity, although the prepper will certainly have plenty on hand BEFORE the crisis. The prepper also knows that nature and creativity offer many alternatives, in a pinch. (See what i did there? Lol!).;)

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Prepper: Buys stuff they need, before they need it.

Hoarder: Buys stuff they don't need, after they think they need it.

Almost like the difference between men and women.

A man will buy something he needs, whether it's on sale or not.

A woman will buy something that's on sale whether she needs it or not. ;)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Almost like the difference between men and women.

A man will buy something he needs, whether it's on sale or not.

A woman will buy something that's on sale whether she needs it or not. ;)

Ehhhh.... Gonna have to give that one a "false". I've bought plenty of tools and ammo that I absolutely didn't need just because they were on sale. In the gas can thread I've actually suggested we all buy more cans now, because gas is so cheap, that they're basically on super sale when you factor in the discount on the gas. I don't need more gas or cans, but... it's a good sale! :laugh:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you hoard stuff that leads to people coming and offering you money? You are a collector.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Hoarding is the term the unprepared use to justify stealing another person's preparations to satisfy their current need.

OPSEC is doubly important at the moment folks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Prepper: Buys and stores while things are in abundance, buying a little at a time. Thinks of it as insurance, doesn't cause shortages. Carefully plans what is needed, and doesn't focus on what isn't. Preparations don't negatively impact others.

Hoarder: Waits until a crisis, then buys everything in sight, causing shortages and approaching with a selfish attitude. No planning is involved. Buys whatever presents itself as an opportunity. Tends to load up disproportionately on some items. Again, usually no planning is involved.

I also believe that most preppers would be a bit more likely to share with those in need and suffering than hoarders. I might be wrong, but that's been my gut feeling about people I've met in both categories.

A prepper also knows that toilet paper is a luxury and not a necessity, although the prepper will certainly have plenty on hand BEFORE the crisis. The prepper also knows that nature and creativity offer many alternatives, in a pinch. (See what i did there? Lol!).;)

Prepper: Buys stuff they need, before they need it.

Hoarder: Buys stuff they don't need, after they think they need it.

Nailed it. If you're buying two shopping carts of toilet paper for no other reason then you saw someone else panicking and buying one cart of toilet paper, you're a hoarder. Unless you have an orphanage that serves a lot of tacos or something, that's foolish.

Having months of rotated stock, buying a in bulk to save money, etc. is prepping.

Bonus: If you prep with MREs, you will only need 15% as much toilet paper, both due to frequency and consistency.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    BehindBlueI's;8240496. said:
    Bonus: If you prep with MREs, you will only need 15% as much toilet paper, both due to frequency and consistency.

Being a grunt, you know there is a reason they formulate them that way.

I remember being in the field for a week and not...

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Prepping is if I am doing it.

Hoarding is when you are doing it.

Not really, I agree with the definition of preparing versus reacting, but I think the above is probably the way most of the world looks at it.

Top Bottom