• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hello

I have realized that our first aid supplies are not likely well supplied. I need to improve our supplies/kit.

Im referring to a boo boo kit for our home. I’m not referring to trauma/gun shot wound for the range or other scenarios.

We do little sons, so I know that the scrapes, cuts and bumps will only get bigger and more often.

What are some of the basics of what you would recommend beyond some bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment?
    Am I better off just purchasing a premise kit? If so, do you have any recommendations of kits on Amazon that would cover this?

Thank you!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pain reliever of your choice, some butterflies, some tape, gauze(pads and rolls), and the norm, trip anti, band aids, etc. OTC meds such as anti-diarrheal, allergy, finger splints, ice pack, burn treatment, blister treatments. Tweezers for splinters, shears for, well cutting stuff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Home is easy. Build it yourself. here is what is in my plastic shoebox of healing that I pulled out of my bathroom closet.
    • Box of assorted band aids; skip the cheap and buy Band Aid flexible fabric. You love your kids and do not want to subject them to cheap plastic "adhesive bandages" or even Band Aid brand Plastic Adhesive Bandages because they are uncomfortable and just dont stick well.
    • Fingertip/knuckle bandages (fingertips also work awesome for heel cuts)
    • tubes of hydrocortizone, neosporin.
    • Bottle of Bactine instead of peroxide*
    • disposable pointed tip scalpels for digging out splinters. If you know a doc or nurse get a handful of the heaviest gauge needle you can instead. Those are even better than scalpels for digging out splinters. (Ive used 24 gauge)
    • tweezers
    • Medic shears and bandage shears. (cheap kit here, forget its tactical... cheaper than buying silver individual)
      https://www.amazon.com/MediTac-Prem...al+medical+scissors+kit&qid=1586051461&sr=8-4
    • arm sling
    • eye wash kit (not the big unit, just a 4oz bottle with eye cup)
    • athletic tape and medical tape. (helps keep hard to stick bandages down)
    • non stick pads
    • break to activate cold pack. (can put it in the freezer to reuse after activating the firs time)
    • butterfly bandages
    • Cohesive bandage (the stuff that sticks only to itself)
    • Bonus points for a SAM Splint

And a weird one... reading glasses. I need +1 reading glasses for close up work/reading and found that +2 or higher readers are awesome for doing close up magnified work. My daughter needed some +2s after having her eyes dilated so the wife bought a cheap pair at CVS. I kept them and use them today as hands free magnifiers. I put them on when I need to see tiny stuff close up like when I have to remove splinters. works tons better than my prescription readers. (or holding a magnifying glass w one hand and working with the other. )

here is what I do for cars too:

*Also forget hydrogen peroxide. Yes, it is incredibly efficient at disinfecting wounds. However it also kills healthy tissue at the edges of the wounds. So although it thoroughly disinfects a cut, it causes the cut to heal slower due to the healthy tissue damage.

**Immediately replace the battery in the light with Duracell. Cheap ass batteries discharge on their own within 18 months. I know firsthand how cheap house brand batteries fail.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thank you, both. Very helpful to get me started.

Any suggestions on a bag of case that you like to use for the home kit?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Here's what I did. I have a 30 person FAK I got at Costco for like $20 and it was in need of a resupply. So I bought enough to resupply it and make a couple more. I also tailored them to where they were going, one for camping, shooting, etc.

HyNc9kd.jpg

CzIPDLn.jpg

Yyq0a1O.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Good ideas so far.

Add a printed inventory list. You need to remember to restock regularly for items you use as well as expired medications.

For a car kit add a safety vest for visibility.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sooo...who is going to make me one (or more) that I can just pay them for?

I recently updated my car first aid kit/med bag.

I added even more stuff since I posted about it on INGO ....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...first-aid-trauma-kit.html?478768=#post8216978

I also made 2 other smaller kits that I keep in my EDC bag, one booboo kit, one trauma kit.

I probably have enough leftover to make more kits since I buy most items in bulk.I need to look into that.

I have made kits for friends and family in the past, and several kits for myself.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's the two little kits that I keep in my EDC bag.

RPtHFvd.jpg

One (red bag) is for minor cuts and scratches mostly.

It contains a few bandages, cleaning wipes, roll of gauze, tiny pair of scissors, nail clipper, hand sanitizer, tape, nitrile gloves, sugar cubes, painkillers.

It's what I use 90% of the time to treat myself or others.

HBBM58I.jpg

The other (black bag) is for more severe wounds, it's my backup trauma kit.
    It's why I keep a SWAT Tourniquet in it, not great for self aid but good to help others.
    You can use the SWAT T as a tourniquet or as a pressure bandage (with the ABD pads), a sling etc.

HNiqCfp.jpg

A couple 5" by 9" ABD pads, duct tape, gloves, ziplock bag, a few 4" by 4" gauze pads and a roll of tape.

I keep a large pair of trauma shears and a blanket with those 2 kits as well.

My main tourniquet is a CAT gen 7 that I keep on me at all times in another kit carried on my ankle.

If I'm in my car I have all 4 kits with me (2 on my bag on the passenger seat, one in the trunk, one on my person).

Top Bottom