• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Let's say the gas service is disrupted what's your go to alternative heat source excluding wood burners , I do have one but looking for interesting ideas that wont give off smoke to let everyone around know we have heat

I have a couple of the cylinder style kerosene heaters with the wicks ( kinda hate they cant be ran at a really low setting without shooting the wick) and my current plan after all this is to store a couple drums of kerosene

If kerosene is your go to and you have a lot of experience with a variety of heating units maybe you could share wich is most efficient or better in your mind...or some good tips for storage

Maybe you have a heating solution that's way outside the box ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have 2 propane heaters that will drop 40K BTU but if you want the fans to work you will need electricity for that option.
    Grill bottles will run them a fair amount of time and I have never stretched one out over a full can.

I haver had them for years so not sure what's available now.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Im setup to use a tank top propane heater. We use propane for out heat anyways but w/o electric you wouldn't be able to use the furnace. I need to spend the time and find a kit somewhere on the internet that would let me fill small tanks off our bulk tank. I have asked the propane provider several times and they wont set me up, also dont get caught using one bc they may not fill your tank if they see it. I'm also working on a project with a $70 harbor freight generator. I'm thinking I can bring it inside and maybe run a large copper coil off the exhaust with a fan in the center and set it all up to go out a window. In the end I would store the power in 2 large deep cycle batteries and take advantage of it with a 2000w inverter when needed but not loose the heat generated by the motor (still working out the details). The kerosene idea isn't bad but what would worry me is the shelf life if your not steady using it. No one can seem to come to a consensus on how long it lasts, I've heard anything from months to years.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let's say the gas service is disrupted what's your go to alternative heat source excluding wood burners , I do have one but looking for interesting ideas that wont give off smoke to let everyone around know we have heat

I have a couple of the cylinder style kerosene heaters with the wicks ( kinda hate they cant be ran at a really low setting without shooting the wick) and my current plan after all this is to store a couple drums of kerosene

If kerosene is your go to and you have a lot of experience with a variety of heating units maybe you could share wich is most efficient or better in your mind...or some good tips for storage

After the last storm, our power was out for about 28 hours. It was getting chilly in the house by the time it came back on. The good thing is it exposed our lack of planning/prepping. We’re all electric so I’ve been mulling big, LP powered generator or smaller, managed load generating plus kerosene heat.

I’m curious as to how long you can store bulk kerosene because, if history is any indicator, we won’t need it (backup heat) for several years.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Quick Answer, We have Wood, Propane and Kerosene that does Not Require Electricity. We can Zone Heat or limit heat to a specific area.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have 3 Mr. Big Buddy propane heater. I store the grill type propane tanks in rubber made deck boxes , each deck boxes can hold 10 tanks. Also I bought the hose kits that way the tanks can be outside when using the heaters in the house. I have two back up kerosene heaters too, I store kerosene in 15 gallon totes.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have a 12 volt electric blanket, jacket, socks, and gloves. I'm looking at getting enough solar to keep a bank of batteries charged day to day. One of my batteries will run my CPAP for three nights. More batteries and panels are in my future. Setting it up is not cheap when it comes to the batteries. I have thoughts of a stealth camper running heat with solar and batteries.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I have 3 Mr. Big Buddy propane heater. I store the grill type propane tanks in rubber made deck boxes , each deck boxes can hold 10 tanks. Also I bought the hose kits that way the tanks can be outside when using the heaters in the house. I have two back up kerosene heaters too, I store kerosene in 15 gallon totes.

What are these rubber made deck boxes of which you speak and where can you get them?

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I I need to spend the time and find a kit somewhere on the internet that would let me fill small tanks off our bulk tank. I have asked the propane provider several times and they wont set me up, also dont get caught using one bc they may not fill your tank if they see it.

FYI - I know a guy who is supposed to have one on their large tank. They had to get something that dealers have as this allows them to fill other tanks (thus potentially sell the propane).

This is what I bought to fill off 20lb tanks.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

You get the daily reward for an interesting question. I have an all electric house and have a ground source heat pump for heat (geothermal).

Propane tanks and Kerosene heaters are my options.

I have a camper and a couple of grills so I have a 5 propane tanks setting around. I also have a propane/gasoline generator and kerosene heaters along with electrical heaters the generator can run. Cars are kept full of gas during winter and truck is full of diesel.

Diesel can be used in a pinch but it is a dirtier burn than kerosene.

A few years back when we had sub zero temps for a long time, we lost power for 2 days. I designated one room as a warm room. Heated with the kerosene heater in that one room. Used the generator for electrical needs but also had a propane fed heater if the kerosene ran out. A 12x10 room can stay pretty warm.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You get the daily reward for an interesting question. I have an all electric house and have a ground source heat pump for heat (geothermal).

Propane tanks and Kerosene heaters are my options.

I have a camper and a couple of grills so I have a 5 propane tanks setting around. I also have a propane/gasoline generator and kerosene heaters along with electrical heaters the generator can run. Cars are kept full of gas during winter and truck is full of diesel.

Diesel can be used in a pinch but it is a dirtier burn than kerosene.

A few years back when we had sub zero temps for a long time, we lost power for 2 days. I designated one room as a warm room. Heated with the kerosene heater in that one room. Used the generator for electrical needs but also had a propane fed heater if the kerosene ran out. A 12x10 room can stay pretty warm.

Do you store kerosene? If so, does it keep awhile? I’ve read several things and it’s not clear to me how long I would expect it to keep.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I use a couple of 5 gallon containers. I have used it over a year old several times and have been told it's good for up to five years.

I use it to burn stumps out every year and to fuel a torpedo kerosene heater in out buildings so it gets rotated fairly often.

Do you store kerosene? If so, does it keep awhile? I’ve read several things and it’s not clear to me how long I would expect it to keep.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I use a couple of 5 gallon containers. I have used it over a year old several times and have been told it's good for up to five years.

I use it to burn stumps out every year and to fuel a torpedo kerosene heater in out buildings so it gets rotated fairly often.

Thanks. I’ve seen the 5 year number and some saying no more than a year.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Jet A at the airport will be the same thing only treated for good shelf life. Probably cost less as well. Years ago I bought a 55 gallon drum of 100ll for everything not used on the road. It lasted forever.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Thanks. I’ve seen the 5 year number and some saying no more than a year.

I just pulled a kerosene heater out of the attic that had not been used in 30 years and it fired up fine. Replaced the batteries and cleaned the terminals where the old ones had leaked out and even the starter works. Now I'm sure it wasn't filled with cheap kerosene back then but it still burned and I used it to burn off the dust from the years of storage. Put in fresh heater fuel from Menards and it runs clean and virtually smell free.

Top Bottom