• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Hogs ('free meat') found a home....Updated...

....if you are willing to do the butchering.

A northern Indiana farmer told my nephew he had 400 hogs scheduled to deliver to the butcher this week, and they are now scheduled to be shot and buried if he can't find a taker. I'm sure he wouldn't want to make 400 individual deliveries, but might deliver a dozen here and there if he can get it set up. He is willing to give them away at this point.

I don't have the contact information yet, but I will check back here later today and tomorrow. I believe he is wanting to have a final plan within the next 24-48 hours.

UPDATE # 1 - All I know is it is way north but he told my nephew he would deliver them as far south as Bloomington, but I'm still trying to get contact information for him and just how small a 'drop-off' he'd be willing to do.

I could see maybe a dozen or so people get together at a farmer's place who could take delivery of the live hogs, have a 'shoot and gut' party, and they haul them off home individually to cut and package.

Anyway, I will find out what more I can and update the post.

UPDATE # 2 -
    Well I just heard back from my nephew "Hogs are all spoken for as of now. They may be in the same boat again in two weeks. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help."

I will let him know that if he can get the farmer in question to post a contact number we can share, perhaps next go-round (if the plant hasn't re-opened) would be easier...!!!

I guess if anyone got at least some preliminary plans together to handle a few or a bunch of hogs to butcher, keep the plans/telephone tree ready - there could be more, and I'm sure this guy isn't the only one with animals to butcher but no facility to accept them.

I'll post it to this thread if I hear anything more.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That would be tough. I can see why he wouldn't want to do small numbers as it would cost him money. I can also see why he wouldn't want people coming out to try to catch one and haul it off, or kill it there. Can you imagine some of the Yay-hoos trying to shoot a hog.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i might be interested in 2or 3. location? we have a trailer. u can msg me if needed. if 2 is not enough we could do a few more and take what we dont have room for to a local food bank. we have 4 families on the farm, 20 people 1 year old to grandma. we do have limited freezer space.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Butchering hogs is a terrible job.

I'm happy somebody does it, but I'm happy to pay somebody else to do it for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Butchering hogs is a terrible job.

I'm happy somebody does it, but I'm happy to pay somebody else to do it for me.

I can remember our nextdoor neighbors doing it in their basement when I was a kid (they were straight out of the hills of Tennessee). All of the "dressing" work was done I think, by the time they got them home, but they would cut them up into the various cuts of meat. I remember helping package it up and labeling the butcher paper-wrapped "packages".

They would render their own lard in the back yard in a cast iron kettle over a fire. It was like living nextdoor to the Beverly Hillbillies. :): The mom even made her own lye soap.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So.. we need 400 INGOers to commit to one hog each, and make arrangements with the butcher?

I'd be down for one. Can't do more than one, and can't do more than pick it up FROM the butcher when done. I CAN pay cash (check, or paypal).

I really hate to see animals go to waste like that.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If close enough to my area I'm sure I could arrange to take a few off his hands

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've been trying to find some place to buy a half hog...

My sister in Monrovia does this. Good bacon. I can give you her number if you're interested.

I pay her for the hog, her husband takes it to the butcher, and I pick it up and pay the butcher.
    She also sells cows.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    So.. we need 400 INGOers to commit to one hog each, and make arrangements with the butcher?

I'd be down for one. Can't do more than one, and can't do more than pick it up FROM the butcher when done. I CAN pay cash (check, or paypal).

I 2nd all of this

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

I'd be in for one.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    All I know is it is way north but he told my nephew he would deliver them as far south as Bloomington, but I'm still trying to get contact information for him and just how small a 'drop-off' he'd be willing to do.

I could see maybe a dozen or so people get together at a farmer's place who could take delivery of the live hogs, have a 'shoot and gut' party, and they haul them off home individually to cut and package.

Anyway, I will find out what more I can and update the post.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    My sister in Monrovia does this. Good bacon. I can give you her number if you're interested.

I pay her for the hog, her husband takes it to the butcher, and I pick it up and pay the butcher.
    She also sells cows.

I may take you up on that. I have called and left messages with 2 places in the last week but haven't gotten a call back yet. If I don't hear anything by 5pm tomorrow, I will PM you here. Thanks for the info though

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In

I really hate to see animals go to waste like that

I'm in the same boat. I'd pay the farmer market price for the hog and pay the butcher also.

Top Bottom