What Should One Have When The Lights Go Out???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not literally but metaphorically. I have learned a lot about weakness in my preps in the last few weeks. But information was plentiful online; but what if it is not? I feel like I know more than average but realized I wanted way more information not digital in format.

What should one possess to assist them when one cannot just pop online to get what you need? What books can teach the old ways? I'm never going to build a bug out bunker but practical knowledge one may need when the lights go down is interesting...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I have the same questions and interests; may not ever need it, may or may not follow through on it, but if things went really south, how would one survive without the knowledge we get from the internet?
    I think the answer lies in knowledge passed down generationally

A Complete Foxfire Series 14-Book Collection Set with ...[url]www.amazon.com
    › Complete-Collection-Anniversary-...[/URL]

The Foxfire series is something I read as a kid, more with an interest in the old ways and woodsmanship, it's more than just a how to series, it covers hill people living and stories from generations. So If you need to butcher a hog or make lye soap (Like the lights are really really out!) this is a way, among others I'm sure. If you need to get your ham antenna set up or build a faraday cage this might not be it.

It is interesting to think about, imo, how we will transfer info or organize if they do go out. We may be spoiled.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have the same questions and interests; may not ever need it, may or may not follow through on it, but if things went really south, how would one survive without the knowledge we get from the internet?
    I think the answer lies in knowledge passed down generationally

A Complete Foxfire Series 14-Book Collection Set with ...
    www.amazon.com › Complete-Collection-Anniversary-...

The Foxfire series is something I read as a kid, more with an interest in the old ways and woodsmanship, it's more than just a how to series, it covers hill people living and stories from generations. So If you need to butcher a hog or make lye soap (Like the lights are really really out!) this is a way, among others I'm sure. If you need to get your ham antenna set up or build a faraday cage this might not be it.

It is interesting to think about, imo, how we will transfer info or organize if they do go out. We may be spoiled.

Is that series as good as advertised? Looked at it recently and did not feel the topics worth the money. Am I wrong?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Is that series as good as advertised? Looked at it recently and did not feel the topics worth the money. Am I wrong?
    It probably depends what you're looking for. If its just info and don't want to hear how granny used to take Uncle Wilferds toenail clippings and boil them down with shoestrings and snakeskin to survive the hard times and other hill people stories, then no.
    They can also be found for $5 used, the link I posted was ridiculous but it was the whole collection. I'm not even sure how relevant the topics would be today, but there is a lot of survival knowledge as those people lived day to day and figured it out as they went. It was an agrarian society, and we are not really anymore. Until the lights really really go out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The books I find interesting but I am a child of Appalachia. Find a used one somewhere and see how you like them.

I don't know if your plan to have the information to read up on when we hit a TEOTWAWKI event is the way to go. I think it will be difficult at that point. The art of living poor can be practiced right now. Just like all the talk in other threads about butchering a hog, you won't even have the equipment when the time comes and you read your book. Some things like smoking aren't necessarily as easy as a book makes it sound. The best things any one can do is to have a garden and can your stuff. Hunt and process your own meat.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    THIS^ plus:
    Where There Is No Doctor
    Where There Is No Dentist
    Wilderness Medicine (Forgey)
    Physicians Desk Reference
    Complete set of antibiotics/antiparasitics - Cal Vet Supply"
    Big first aid kit
    First Aid/CPR training
    Canning supplies including hot water and pressure canners

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Expat has a very good point about practicing. There is something to be said for having the learning curves out of the way and trial and error behind you.

Having even a small understanding of gardening, hunting, fishing, butchering, cooking, car repair, etc, etc would put you far ahead of folks attempting to read up on things during a crisis. It would also assure you have right tools for the jobs and appropriate reference materials that actually work.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For us the most important thing is a plan. A plan for simple decisions buys you the time you need to make new decisions to deal with the unexpected, and time is one thing you don't get back.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    One of the most valuable things I have on hand for my families survival and well being are all the lessons I've learned at "survival schools" especially the Pathfinder Basic class. If the "Lights go out" for real, we're going to take a little step back in time a few hundred years. Get some training classes and buy some paperback books cover areas you are weak in but also in books you can hand off to any friends or family inside your circle who may be interested in learning those new skills if/when that moment ever shows up.

I really like the logic and way the pathfinder 10'C's are laid out and I consider the first 5 to be absolute musts when in the wilderness, but the gear itself isn't nearly as important as knowing how to use them and some experience behind that. Assuming you're going to be staying home you're experience building a shelter will be dwarfed by your need to be able to cook over a small fire in the backyard. Do you have legit cookwear to use for that kind of thing and have you used it? If not, I'd at least look at a stainless bushpot as big as you can find. Can you lash things together with rope if need be? How good are you with knots? At the end of the day it's food, water, and shelter. Everything else like medical, comms and defense is icing on the cake.

Ask yourself these questions and it's a pass/fail exercise:

If someone put a ham radio in front of you, would you know what local emergency frequencies you should look for to find repeaters for information on what's going on? When's the last time you did that?

Can you start a camp fire and cook over it in the backyard? When's the last time you did that?

Can you go backpacking into the wilderness for a night or days on end and be reasonably comfortable? If so how longs it been since you did that?

Can you catch, cook and eat a fish? If so how longs it been since you did that?

Can you hunt furry critters, cook and eat them? If so how longs it been since you did that?

If all the things I mentioned above are not something you've stayed proficient at then you need to take some training classes. Most people struggle to put their pride and ego aside long enough to listen to another person as a student, but it's a must in my opinion.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Another often overlooked aspect is the social circle.

If SHTF, who will you turn to? Can you count on your current family / friends? What skills do they have? Does everyone have a defined role and an understanding of what that is?

In a lot of respects we've gotten so far away from genuine and strong community groups that we falsely believe we can do everything on our own. Not only can we not do it all, but we shouldn't.

Everyone can bring some skills to the table. The key is knowing where your skills lie, where the skills of others fit in, and how to bring everyone together.

This is a pretty big hole in my preparedness plan since my entire family is three states away. I'm finally plugged into a good church and am building some stronger relationships, but I don't have a shortlist yet of people I would call if things go sideways.

Okimar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    Tampa
    Water source and means of purification, source of fresh meat defensive perimeter established with fields of fire discussed with everyone you've got with you.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Learn how to fight a house fire...and secure the equipment that gives you a chance. Grid down, lights out...it could be a long time until help arrives.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Longest we've been without power is 10 days I think (tornado damage).
    Candles I like.
    The LED lanterns give off a lof of light (but I find them annoyingly cold/bright).
    Lost power twice today..........dunno why.

Lose power.............candles and some good books.
    Gotta burn the time somehow.

Top Bottom