• ...and so much more!
  • Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    What's your source for maps? I mean printed ones you can store in a pack
    Are there ones that are somewhat more durable than others?
    What all maps do you like to keep in your bag?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Don’t know how big your bag is, but Delorme atlases are some of the best most trusted maps out there. They are state by state, include trails, seasonal roads, topo, etc.

For a more packable type, National Geographic makes a nice tough map, not exactly laminated and not paper.

Both available at REI and maybe amazon.

I’ve not really developed a bug out bag, because I can’t carry all I want. It’s more of a bug out truck idea, but I’d rather stay home. To be honest I hadn’t even thought about maps for a bug out bag, so thanks.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The Delorme Atlas has good maps with very nice detail. Some options:

Planned bug out destination: make color copies of applicable pages and then laminate the printouts.

Planned bug out destination: cut out applicable pages for getting to your destination. Laminate or plastic bag.

No destination: pack the whole atlas and then once you decide a direction of travel cut out what you need (or what you know you won’t need).

For northeast Indiana there used to be Uncle Larry’s Lake Map. Not as good but detailed country roads and lakes. Might try Reigel’s in downtown Fort Wayne although I think they are closing out their map section.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    As a note for Fort Wayne area think about river crossings. I work downtown and I have a map that shows all ten bridges between work and my house and have practiced using all of them. Two of those bridges do not appear on regular maps (railroad bridge and walking bridge). I also know where to get a kayak to cross if needed.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    There used to be a street guide with a bright yellow or hot pink cover that was really good for showing streets in neighborhoods. I haven't had one for probably 15 or 20 years. I'd like to find another, if they're still made.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    The Delorme Atlas has good maps with very nice detail. Some options:

Planned bug out destination: make color copies of applicable pages and then laminate the printouts.

Planned bug out destination: cut out applicable pages for getting to your destination. Laminate or plastic bag.

No destination: pack the whole atlas and then once you decide a direction of travel cut out what you need (or what you know you won’t need).

For northeast Indiana there used to be Uncle Larry’s Lake Map. Not as good but detailed country roads and lakes. Might try Reigel’s in downtown Fort Wayne although I think they are closing out their map section.

Completely forgot reigels used to have maps .....haven't been in there since I was like 18!!! I'll have to pop in and see if they still have anything

Thanks for the replies all, I'll look into these

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you're looking for really detailed maps check out USGS topo maps. Available in different scales also and you can get them for any area you want. Best part is they're free to download so only cost is printing. Print on heavy weight paper, laminate, and you're set.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    If you're looking for really detailed maps check out USGS topo maps. Available in different scales also and you can get them for any area you want. Best part is they're free to download so only cost is printing. Print on heavy weight paper, laminate, and you're set.

Pretty good idea, we even have a lamination machine

Still haven't gotten anywhere with this but I did come across an offline mad app that was recommended by a guy on a trex arms video called OsmAnd
    Dont want to be reliant on it as batteries go dead and phones can break but looking foreward to playing with it more

Top Bottom