• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So we have been warned of rising food prices including beef, here is my take, am I wrong on this?

Beef is no longer sold by the side as it used too, it is sold as individual cuts, loin for NY strip, tenderloin for filet, and a myriad of cryrovac wrapped parts to cut up for roasts etc. and the rough cut beef they make hamburger out of.

The price of filet is based on the world market price, demand in China, India, Japan makes the price rise and fall. The price of hamburger is based on the the value of rough cut beef that is not as exported as widely, in fact I have heard it said that exports of filet subsides cheap hamburger in the US.

I think steak will hold steady while cheaper cuts are what will rise, particularly hamburger just because that export demand is falling.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe it will be too hard to predict. Too many variables to make an accurate guesstimate.

Hamburger has been a staple loss leader for a couple years or more.

"Experts" have warned us of spikes in gas prices for the last few years also, to no noticeable avail.

Last edited:

Jones1776

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    fort wayne
    I have seen plain old hamburger for as much as $7.49 a pound here locally. The problem now isn't supply its ability to get it processed. We just bought a quarter beef off a local farmer luckily he had a spot reserved for his cow because the local butcher shops are booked out through August.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Our local butcher shops are booked beyond 12-29-20 for hogs. Yep, next year. So if you buy one of those cheap hogs being sold, feeding them for another 6 months won't be cheap.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    80/20 chuck ground beef and cuts like sirloin & strips are up $1/lb or more in some Clark/Floyd county grocery stores...but its widely available.

Meanwhile I'm over here feeling like a moron I didn't whack a couple does last fall for the freezer. Won't make that mistake again...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It will all go up. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. (it always does)
    This.

chart-retail-meat-prices.gif

20140515_meat_0.png

Demand will only increase. Production can only increase so much. As we have witnessed, processing and distribution are bottlenecks. Beef is also one of the most expensive meats to produce.

Reminds me: I still need to get a hog on order with my local farmer and butcher.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Our local butcher shops are booked beyond 12-29-20 for hogs. Yep, next year. So if you buy one of those cheap hogs being sold, feeding them for another 6 months won't be cheap.

I was lucky to get an order in right before it got crazy. Some guys are buying the hogs and butchering them themselves. I know not everyone can do that.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This.

chart-retail-meat-prices.gif

20140515_meat_0.png

Demand will only increase. Production can only increase so much. As we have witnessed, processing and distribution are bottlenecks. Beef is also one of the most expensive meats to produce.

Reminds me: I still need to get a hog on order with my local farmer and butcher.

I am still pondering will high end cuts rise as much as low end cuts? We all expect beef prices to rise.

There is considerable lag time from conception to processing of beef, much longer than other meats...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I buy it by the side and I suggest everyone try to. All you need is a decent sized freezer. Usually someone knows someone who has cattle to butcher. In my case, I have connections through 4-H.

..but as prices will rise, we are soon to emerge from any real shortage issues.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I buy it by the side and I suggest everyone try to. All you need is a decent sized freezer. Usually someone knows someone who has cattle to butcher. In my case, I have connections through 4-H.

..but as prices will rise, we are soon to emerge from any real shortage issues.

[video=youtube;RDZt0mun8nI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZt0mun8nI[/video]

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We bought a half a side once and there were a lot of cuts that I would rather not have had. I would rather pick and choose my cuts and just look for the best price on them. We mostly use ground beef, roasts, and tenderloin, so it works better for me to just shop around for sales on those items.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We bought a half a side once and there were a lot of cuts that I would rather not have had. I would rather pick and choose my cuts and just look for the best price on them. We mostly use ground beef, roasts, and tenderloin, so it works better for me to just shop around for sales on those items.

Some of our local area processors do sell just the cuts you want, you might look for one. One of them get the beef his son raises on their farm.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been splitting a cow/hog with family and/or neighbors for several years. We all pretty much get what we want by swapping out roasts for ground, etc.... Can't beat the price. Do need some freezer space for all this, but IMHO, is totally worth it.

I've never complained that I have too much steak!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've butchered a lot of deer over the years, don't know how different a hog or cow would be other than the size.:dunno:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    we have 4 families on the farm. 7 adults and 13 kids 17 to 1 yr. we had our cow butchered. hanging weight was over 900 pounds. mother in law had it all done in hamburger other than 43 2 pound sticks of salami. it lasted less than a year. we have a cow growing be ready next year. we might have to do it our selves. hope not dont have the equipment. we plan on doing a cow a year now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've butchered a lot of deer over the years, don't know how different a hog or cow would be other than the size.:dunno:
    When I was a kid, I got to see grandpa do a big hog and it was an all day (some of it may have gone to day 2), several people involved, job. Of course he saved everything, including rendering down the lard.

Top Bottom