• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    So, I have been trying to do as much reading as I can on some kind of coms for SHIFT and man is it confusing! I'm not really looking at communicating to the far outside world, but mostly my family that lives about 8 miles away or if I'm at work and need to communicate to home which is about the same 8 miles. I am fine with having a couple of "home" bases but would also like to have a handheld stored in a vehicle if I'm at work. We live and work on opposite sides of town and in your typical Mid to Northern Indiana terrain. Looked at HAM but not sure everyone would want to go through the process. I seems like a GMRS license might be the key, but I have never used any of those radios (like the Motorola T465). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If you want to spend money and throw it Ina trick or drawer or what ever get CB's (not great but better than nothing)

If all involved can afford to spend a few hours studying getting your ham tech (lowest level) lic is quite easy. Follow the link in my sub for all the basic info you need to get started.

Gmrs, I dont have much exp with bc I've been a ham for ten years and my needs/wants are met with it.

If you have any ham questions I'm happy to answer them tj the best of my ability.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    If you want to spend money and throw it Ina trick or drawer or what ever get CB's (not great but better than nothing)

If all involved can afford to spend a few hours studying getting your ham tech (lowest level) lic is quite easy. Follow the link in my sub for all the basic info you need to get started.

Gmrs, I dont have much exp with bc I've been a ham for ten years and my needs/wants are met with it.

If you have any ham questions I'm happy to answer them tj the best of my ability.

Thanks fullmetaljesus! Was looking at CBs but wasn't sure on a range for them even. I keep seeing them at thrift store. Thanks for the link.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Don't be intimated by the ham test. The tech lic is a little tech and mostly safety and regulations. It's super straight forward and you will have way better options than cb or gmrs. Personally I'd say ham is the way to go.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    So out of Tech, General or Amateur Extra, Which is the least of these? I'll watch the videos but can't tell what the difference is for "general" use.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    No worries.

Tech - lowest level easiest to pass
    General - second level just a little harder than tech
    Extra - third and final lic, pretty advanced concepts quite difficult.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    No worries.

Tech - lowest level easiest to pass
    General - second level just a little harder than tech
    Extra - third and final lic, pretty advanced concepts quite difficult.

Damn so much has changed since I obtained my novice license in 7th grade back in 88. I know times are changing but damn, people don't have to learn code anymore? WTH?
    I'm kidding, I get it. Times are changing and they're trying to keep ham radio alive.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I assume you live in Anderson, if that true you have the Muncie GMRS repeater right by you and it's an open system. I was in the same boat as you. Since I have a family I jump into the gmrs world.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It depends on the height of the antenna. There's a GMRS repeater near downtown Indy that covers 30 to 40 miles. I've never used to Muncie repeater so don't know the coverage. I'm sure some one out here knows.

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    If I look up a repeater's frequency, does that mean I tune into that and it extends the range of communication just on that frequency; basically creating a bit of an extended range single communication channel for an area?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Damn so much has changed since I obtained my novice license in 7th grade back in 88. I know times are changing but damn, people don't have to learn code anymore? WTH?
    I'm kidding, I get it. Times are changing and they're trying to keep ham radio alive.

CW requirement was dropped almost 30 years ago for Novice/Technician....then in Dec 2006 it was dropped for all license classes, Advanced class was deleted and we went to three licenses.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    CW requirement was dropped almost 30 years ago for Novice/Technician....then in Dec 2006 it was dropped for all license classes, Advanced class was deleted and we went to three licenses.
    Yes I remember when the Tech No code license happened. That's when a few my friends went after their license. Down side to the tech no code at the time was they couldn't use the 10meter band.

Top Bottom