• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I bought a GI milsurp shoulder strap to use with some Czech milsurp shoulder bags that came without the strap. It had the commonly found green anti-corrosive crud on it.

Does anyone have a good way to remove this crud without removing the finish on the metal parts? I tried 90% alcohol as a solvent and it didn't do as well as I hoped.

I've had plenty of problems with this crud over the years. If you're going to use whatever it's on, it needs to come off, because it will stain whatever it touches. I usually wind up using wire brushes and damaging the finish of the coated parts to get that crap off.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    They put it on so it won't come off over decades of use...so, good luck. I think it's like taking off parkerizing, cerakoat, or blueing, your going to destroy the finish applied to get it off.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    They put it on so it won't come off over decades of use...so, good luck. I think it's like taking off parkerizing, cerakoat, or blueing, your going to destroy the finish applied to get it off.

I thought they put it on so it wouldn't come off over decades of storage, on the theory the thing it was on might be used at some point in the future, when it would need to come the **** off.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I thought they put it on so it wouldn't come off over decades of storage, on the theory the thing it was on might be used at some point in the future, when it would need to come the **** off.

I think it was more like it would stay on because it was ****ing needed to keep corrosion down.

Top Bottom