• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have discovered that both of my older digital thermometers are not accurate, unless it's possible my body temp is 95.7?

I'm not sick much, so as a routine these things sit for years. Most uses are for visiting grankids. Once twice a year is a lot.

What kind of new thermometer should I be shopping for? Styles, brands, etc? Digital, mercury, surface? Batteries?

Maybe a couple to assure accuracy (one is none?)

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Mercury is basically no longer available.

Best bet is to look at the reviews on Amazon, then buy from the vendor of choice for you.

By the way, do you know what the difference is between an oral thermometer and rectal thermometer?
    Wait for it......
    The taste.
    :)::)::):

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If I could talk to myself way back when 40-some years ago, among the things I would tell myself to stash away along with Smith & Wesson revolvers and such would be a dozen or so glass tube mercury thermometers.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    As a nurse, I take 10-20 temps a day. I'll use an infra-red thermometer unless I suspect issues or get a weird reading. Aural (in the ear) thermometers are good and generally accurate. Oral thermometers are good if the person has not consumed food or drink for a little while. Infra- red takes practice and you should check the temple area but hair must be brushed aside. Also, every day, when I go in to work, I get temped. I like to set my car air conditioning on meat storage. My temps are always low then. Later on they will be normal. Get an oral thermometer as your first choice. BTW, I've never even seen a rectal thermometer used except at the vet's office.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Thank you for professional advice!

Any recommendation on a brand?
    No, my IR thermometer is like 7 years old and I don't know the brand. At work, I either use it or the Dynamap (portable VS machine on a base). I need to get a new pulse-ox so I'll take a look at Amazon and see what's available. Maybe something will stand out and I'll reply.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I did have a patient one time who was a pathologist who complained that my IR thermometer wasn't that accurate so I suggested doing a liver temp on her. She declined. You may have seen Ducky doing that on NCIS.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For the present, I sprung for the cheapy oral thermometer that Amazon suggested. While waiting for further advice on the investment of a much more expensive no touch thermometer.

20200714-163510.jpg

Note the temperature. Is two degrees below normal normal?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Mine and the wife's are usually in the 97.x range
    If you have drunk anything recently, it could be cooler.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Oral thermometers will generally read 0.5 to 1.0 F lower than tympanic, rectal, and temporal thermometers.

Also - what one may have had in one's mouth prior to the oral temp being taken can also affect it.

Top Bottom