What are some survival/first aid/ emergency gear I should know about?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jand1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Zionsville
    I’m looking to start a go-bag and daily carry and basic/secondary first aid set up. I’m just starting to think about things in a new light and I want to be prepared. What are some brands/products/companies/local retailers I should know about?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Are you talking wilderness survival/bushcrafting, get-home bag, zombie apocalypse, urban survival or what? What kind of first aid scenarios do you expect or anticipate. How much training do you have?

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I have a few different bags ready to go. My first aid kits also vary from very basic, to handle cuts, mild burns, insect stings, blisters, to name a few. Make up your own, and get some basic training to help you decide what to carry. If you use meds, bring some of those that you use too. Some Survival threads go into great detail, but check them out too. Maybe YouTube?
    Good luck.
    Add: Survival and bushcraft is a huge topic. Most will advise: Water, shelter, fire, cordage, cutting tool. I would also add: Signals, personal defense, navigation, raingear, proper clothing, footwear, etc.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    All that **** in a bag won't matter if you don't know:
    1) how to use it
    2) how to store it
    3) when and why to rotate stock.

Get some training first, then see what you need.

If you don't want training, get some sort of tourniquet, nitrile gloves, a bottle of water, a black sharpie, duct tape, and roll gauze (kerlix). I keep mine in a ziplock bag for a potential chest seal.

Most healthcare places are doing active shooter drills and have "stop the bleed" kits with CATs in them. I'd say most everyone should to use a CAT.

As I said, some sort of training wouldn't hurt. BLS CPR as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have 2 levels of GHB's for the vehicles and a GO bag in the house. The Go bag is to supplement the gear in the GHB's. It increases supply's as the spouse will most likely be with me if we are leaving in a hurry. It also enhances our ability to defend.
    There are decent aid kits in both vehicles already and the GHB's are extra to those.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Use what you have. Meaning, if you feel you have to bug out to wilderness, then take it out in the woods and live for a long weekend, or better, a week off of what you have. You will quickly find out what is useless and what is gold! Adhere to any legal or landowner regulations. Skills are usually more important than equipment. Make a fire with your fero-rod using found kindling. Trap and clean some small game. Find and purify water. Forage edible plants. Make a shelter.

My experience was that I had done some hiking and knew a lot from magazines (pre-internet), but hike the AT sometime, or section hike it, and you will throw expensive gear away that is not worth hauling up and down a lot of hills, even when the magazines ALL said it was a must have!

A few thinks I love having on me all times; a good knife, about 20 feet of bank line (I used at least twice a week even when working in the office!), a tourniquet (the rubber band style, it can be used to hold other dressings when applied lightly) a steel travel toothpick (many uses and that damn celery will drive me nuts!!), a shamagh is so multi-use you should you consider one in your pack or glove-box. They are in my luggage as well to be used as a pillow, sun shade, cooling tool, etc., chap-stick is valuable for more than lip balm, Swiss army knife in addition to the good folder (scissors, awl, tweezers, wine screw!, fine work blades, and more!)

Medical, I carry a couple 3x3 gauze pads. They fit in the pocket pouch I carry the above items in (except the shamagh and tourniquet). I feel you can lump a few together and if it something bigger, the shamagh or tourniquet can be used. Most EDC days I figure I am calling 911 right out of the gate if it is bigger than a small cut.

On the topic of tourniquet, I have been trained in their use. In my opinion someone should be too if carrying one.

Not sure if that even covers what you asked, but use what you have is probably the best advice I can give.

Thanks and stay well!!!

jand1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Zionsville
    Are you talking wilderness survival/bushcrafting, get-home bag, zombie apocalypse, urban survival or what? What kind of first aid scenarios do you expect or anticipate. How much training do you have?

Right now just suggestions on what I should have in the car for driving around on a normal day looking for a get home bag and like basic first aid. I also have to consider young kids and getting my family together if we’re not already together.

I have basic first aid training

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right now just suggestions on what I should have in the car for driving around on a normal day looking for a get home bag and like basic first aid. I also have to consider young kids and getting my family together if we’re not already together.

I have basic first aid training

When you add "Heads" you add needs.
    A simple 1 man Get Home Bag is easily put together. Add a family to that and things get complex.
    Our actual bug out gear (gear nit just the bag) consists of a of totes that are packed and at the ready. The spouse and I can live OK for over a week off them. Add heads and the time is reduced

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Depends on how far you are willing to go on your own...

From actual experience, 16 years in the Marine Corps,

Look into silk, sugar & salt.

A big silk 'Bandana' is stupid strong, handy, and light weight.
    Since the first Chinese wars, silk has been a part of military uniforms,
    It's stupid strong, won't cut into when used for a tourniquet, SILK PROMOTES THE CLOTTING OF BLOOD, and it's unequaled for slings & securing splints.
    Ancient times, silk was used to protect head, neck & face from sun/weather, particularly snow blindness, sand storms & sunburns.
    Silk can be woven so fine it will filter all larger biologicals and some viruses from water.
    Silk & water were used for burned skin for centuries, the way things like 'New Skin' is today...

For immobilization, the flexible 'Cutting Board' has taken top spot over a magazine (along with silk bandana).
    Light, strong, wraps around many shapes, and makes a very workable splint for immobilization.
    Also makes a pretty good work surface that's cut resistant for your other gear.
    Rolled up loosely, it even makes a pretty good pillow that is light and can be easily cleaned.

Sugar, particularly in the form of boiled honey, is another centuries old battle field trick.
    Can slow/seal bleeding, treat burns & abrasions, has anti-biotic properties, and never spoils.
    Boiled honey (sugars) and a pinch of salt is the best way to rehydrate, either drinking or enema.
    (enema can rehydrate even with brackish water the gut can't handle)
    Honey can make an emergency food/energy source, the 'boost' won't last long, but it can get you over a 'Hump' when you just can't go anymore.

Salt is painful, but it's a requirement for life, and you can't make I.V. fluids without it, rehydration from dysentery/malaria, other severely gut sick diseases is much slower without salt (and sugar).

For large, jagged wounds that might have missing skin, nothing we found does better than a surgical Backhaus Towel Clamp.
    When the jaws are fully opened, the points can be driven straight into skin, and the wound can be pulled closed.
    This is strictly meatball stuff, you can close a very large wound in seconds and worry about stitches or glue later.
    I suggest you sharpen the points, if you have to use this you are already weak/seriously injured, and trying to force dull points through skin will add difficulty.
    1_ah-2000_380.jpg

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Closing serious wounds,

Wrap the super sticky duct tape around every handle you don't have wrapped in para-cord.
    Flash lights, rifle stocks, even canteens can have duct tape wrapped around them.
    Duct tape seals sucking chest wounds, it quickly seals face/neck, and if your hair is short enough, scalp wounds.
    Head/scalp bleed like stuck pigs, but usually not for very long... But in a fight you don't want blood in your eyes, etc.
    The 'Sticks Under Water' type works best on bloody skin.

Surgical staple guns beat surgical sutures in every way, the biggest reason is staples can be put in one handed, very quickly & efficiently.
    The draw back is the gap of the wound, while sutures can be adjusted for size, staples are a fixed size.

What the staple gun can't work on, cyanoacrylate type 'Super Glue' and some woven, non coated bandage material.
    Glue one side down, pull the wound closed, glue the other side down.
    (I've used duct tape too, but this is cleaner and doesn't get into the actual wound since the glue strips are on both sides of the wound)

Cyanoacrylate CAN be used to encase even larger arteries for a 'Field Fix', but it takes quite a bit of it and the surgeons will cuss you to no end later.
    It WILL NOT fix a severed artery, but one that's been sliced or punctured can be encased.
    Keep in mind the original use for cyanoacrylate in medicine was for repairing arteries, particularly in cold weather where retraction was a big issue.

While a crap ton of guys carry surgical straight jaw forceps, a more rounded type (sponge forceps) works better for getting shrapnel out and clamping arteries/veins.
    The tear drop shape ends encompasses the shrapnel better helping to keep it from snagging, ripping, cutting on the way out,
    And it spreads out the clamping load on delicate arteries/veins.
    image_9093.jpg

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Depending on how far you will go... And how much you are willing to learn...

A small diameter plastic tube, we dropped our dog tag chains through one, will work for a few different things... Especially with duct tape.
    From soft side canteen, tube, duct tape,... trachea/vent tube, enema, I.V., chest tube to reinflate a collapsed lung, wound flushing/drainage, particularly gut wounds...
    Soft side canteen, hole in the cap, duct tape is both a pressure & vacuum pump.
    It mostly got used as a straw so we could drink when having to be immobile (before came back hydration bladders), but I've seen it used for all the above.

Non deoderized or scented tampons in plastic applicators & plastic wrap for plugging bullet/shrapnel wounds.
    There are injectable surgical sponges that do the same function, I don't know about availability or cost.
    Non deoderized or scented full size sanitary napkin for exit wounds.
    The military field dressings were a joke, the only thing it had going for it was long tie tails...

'Quick Clot' is better than silk when it comes to stopping bleeding, but quick clot isn't reusable, and some people have an allergy to shellfish, which a lot of the quick clot type stuff is made of...
    Unless it's changed a lot, DO NOT put quick clot in a wound that's not going to be reopened for cleaning, sealed in it's an infection waiting to happen.

Road flair (or three) and a blunt, and stainless steel rounded end rod.
    While road flairs have signaling use, they also start fires one handed, and will quickly heat that .30 Cal to 1/2" steel rod to glowing.
    No one wants to cauterize a bullet or knife wound, but this is the most efficient way any of us found to do so.
    Dull 'Glow', full slow 5 count (or fast 10 count) will make the victim lose his mind, but it WILL stop the bleeding.
    Do some research on where the major arteries/veins & nerves are, you CAN melt/cook one, which will fail, with a cautery tool...
    Cauterized wounds will need to be cleaned out and will need to drain, don't close them up entirely.
    Use cautery as a 'Hail Mary'/Last Resort since you will be doing even more damage to the body.

This is pretty grizzly stuff, and mostly used when death is the sure end result...
    Non-sterile hardware, cobbled together isn't anything anyone WANTS to do, but the third world and extreme emergencies have taught us a few things.

30-40 years ago, Nitrous Oxide was a 'Party' thing, little canisters of N20 were available for whipped cream machines...
    A little gadget could be had for a few bucks that would puncture the canister (like a CO2 pellet gun cartridge) and spill the contents into a heavy kid's balloon, and you could inhale the N2O from the balloon.
    The cartridges and dispenser gadget is light weight, so it can be man portable.

You are aware of the pain, but you are disconnected from it.
    From American Civil War times to present, N2O has been used for pain management, and it still works.
    Don't know of NO2 is still a party thing or not, but if the stuff is cheap, effective, man portable, where stuff like morphine isn't legal, it's an option.

Walmart is showing a 24 pack for $21, and the case/puncture thing is on eBay for around $5.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom