• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    I admit I'm a real coffee snob. I'm looking at roasting my own coffee not only for a better flavor but also storing up for prepping purposes.

What have been your experiences with roasting green coffee beans and the best way you've found to store coffee?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    My son recently bought a drum and I must say, the aroma is not all that good until it is close to the end.

Fresh roasted coffee.......excellent.

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I have been roasting coffee for probably 15 years. Went down that rabbit hole and never went back lol. I have used many types roasters from cast iron skillets and popcorn makers to what I have now which is a Aillio bullet induction heated drum roaster. It's pricey and I wouldn't recommend someone to start out with it as you need to get thru the learning curve before you could refine your skills on the Aillio. I would recommend the Behmoor drum roaster. Its rated at 1lb roasts and a very nice machine. I had a couple of them and no regrets at all. As for storage, I love the old mason fruit jars for my roasted coffee and either plastic bags or burlap bags for storing the green beans. need to keep the moisture content of the green beans in check. You start roasting, next investment is getting a good quality burr grinder because the grind is almost as important as the roasted bean. Good luck and pm if you need more info.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    DSC-0034.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally order my beans from the Yankee Prepper. Always liked the product. He has personally picked microlots to purchase from. I do not doubt his knowledge of the coffee business and buying prowess.

In recent times YP's pricing has crept up a bit. When combined with increasing USPS shipping, the price per pound has gotten to be a bit expensive.

I went ahead and purchased a couple varieties of Amazon's "Subscribe and Save" green beans, at a noticeable savings.

71dqSJIEHKL._AC_UY218_.jpg
    71OoFh4KOEL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Hopefully, if Amazon's stuff is junk, it'll still work it into future roasts, being overshadowed by YP's higher end beans in the mix?

Anyone familiar with these Amazon brands? My next Subscribe and Save doesn't come from Amazon until October 23rd, so there is time to cancel if necessary.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom