• SHTF rifle sights

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    The waiting is over, zombie apocalypse / TEOTWAWKI / WROL / SHTF has happened.
    Situation requires that you keep your (one) rifle/carbine with you at all times: at home, in the vehicle, while conducting "missions", throughout your Area of Operations.
    All the other rifles you own were lost / stolen, you just have your "primary".
    In fact, you've had to "deploy" your rifle/carbine 5-6 times with extreme prejudice in the last two months.

What sight / optic are you running on your end-of-world rifle?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Right now it's red dot with plastic Magpul MBUIS sites as a back up.

I just added the red dot recently after going open sites only (can't even call them iron sights). I like the red dot OK, but I'm toying with the idea of getting a 1x4 LPVO, particularly the Nightforce NXS 1x4. I'm having a tough time with the idea of adding an optic that's worth more than the rifle itself.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I chose irons because thats what is on my HD AR. No batteries, no fuss, no muss. And if it IS truly TEOTW who knows if I'll be able to find more CR2032 batteries.

If I could find the cheap Chinese knockoffs of the G&G 45 degree offset irons again on ebay I would buy them for that rifle and put another Primary Arms RDS on it. I'm not paying G&G well over $140 for such simple sights. (fully fixed, no adjustments. Just a rear peep and a front post in a shroud)

Several years ago I found a guy selling them from China for $20 and they are awesome.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Ideally, a quality red dot or low-power scope backed up with folding irons. No matter how much you spend on an optic, technology will eventually fail.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A guy can do worse than a set of solid steel military irons.

Having said that, the A1 sight in a forged upper is remarkably durable and combat accurate.

A2 is fine, but despite the sacrilege of ME saying so, it does have more to break and damage.

I would want a tritium front post with either one.

Still don’t think the AR is the RIFLE you’d want though.

An AK, with upgraded sights (tritium) would be pretty gd handy, and more multifunctional.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Daniel Defense fixed back up sights. These are rugged, though they do not flip up or fold down. Bumping them is not an issue especially good as for me optics are a bit pricey.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My carbine, Marlin Camp 45 has Iron sights and I will fall back on them when my Vortex Spark 1x red dot fails.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Viper 1-4 PST with MBUS if the glass breaks. I don't have to use the illumination on the Viper so batteries are not a factor.

INGO-SPR2.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like options. BUIS on everything. QD mounts or the like with everything.

If you have to carry it much, any magnified scope gets very heavy very fast. LW RDS wins for a patrol rifle.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    TA33 acog.

3x, bombproof, doesn't need batteries, and works at night unlike irons. It's also about as likely to fail as irons.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Speaking of sights how does one add a front tritium sight to a Remington bead sight barrel?

XS makes a big dot tritium sight that fits the Remington pedestal. I have one on my HD shotgun.

AR currently wearing an AimPoint Pro RDS and set of MagPul Pro BUIS.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Comp M3 and M4 WITH modified carry handle rear irons and flip up front irons. Though I have nearly indestructible red dots and phenomenal battery life it's still fallible electronics.
    Target acquisition for me with the Aimpoints is fast.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    TA33 acog.

3x, bombproof, doesn't need batteries, and works at night unlike irons. It's also about as likely to fail as irons.

personal preference for a 4x TA31, but fixed power Bindon-style optics w/o batteries (ACOG) is the missing option

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    personal preference for a 4x TA31, but fixed power Bindon-style optics w/o batteries (ACOG) is the missing option

Thanks for opening up my considerations!
    Trijicon ACOGs should have been a choice. Most models don't need batteries, the glass is crystal clear, and they are rugged.
    With fixed magnifications between 1.5x and 6x, one can select their range. I just wouldn't want to much magnification for CQB ranges.
    Maybe the key downside is price, but "buy once, cry once".

From the Trijicon website:
    “The ACOG[SUP]®[/SUP] mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in World War II.” Major General J.N. Mattis | Commanding General, 1st Marine Division | Operation Iraqi Freedom

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I am a fan of the 4x ACOG with a preference for the models with the fiber optic tube on top, versus the tritium-only illumination of the TA31NSN I'd used for years before finding a bargain on a TA31F.

But my "something besides the above choices" for a single optic choice would be 1-6X or 1-8x LPVO. The illuminated reticles on these lack the battery life of an Aimpoint red dot, which would be ideal instead at closer ranges, but are at least serviceable at closer ranges at 1x while reaching out to greater distances with the newer LPVO with top ends greater than 4x.

A multiple choice answer is also possible with a 45 degree offset mounted red dot as an immediately available backup for a higher magnification variable scope, especially if it starts above 1x at the lower end. Even if the world was ending, you can fit a 5 year+ supply of Aimpoint batteries in Magpul pistol grip storage compartment.

Top Bottom